Taekwondo Doesn't work on someone skilled

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does taekwondo have an internal energy building side to it like chinese arts

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk

This could probably go to a whole new thread. First we would have to define what "Internal Energy Building is" I for one do not believe in any sort of magical mystical energy not currently explainable by western medicine standards. In the past, the unexplainable was given mystical properties. Several decades ago, most, including me thought acupuncture was total B.S.. Then we got a better undersatnding of the interaction between the needles and how they can interact with the nervous system. Perhaps there is also an interaction with other systems vis a vis stimulation of Lymphatic, endocrine and other systems.

As far as some magical mystical Chi, Ki, or whatever, I call BS. I will let others speak to other systems calling themselves TKD, but as far as the Chang Hon system, it does not appear in the materials, nor have I ever heard anyone say it's a part of the system.

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This could probably go to a whole new thread. First we would have to define what "Internal Energy Building is" I for one do not believe in any sort of magical mystical energy not currently explainable by western medicine standards. In the past, the unexplainable was given mystical properties. Several decades ago, most, including me thought acupuncture was total B.S.. Then we got a better undersatnding of the interaction between the needles and how they can interact with the nervous system. Perhaps there is also an interaction with other systems vis a vis stimulation of Lymphatic, endocrine and other systems.

As far as some magical mystical Chi, Ki, or whatever, I call BS. I will let others speak to other systems calling themselves TKD, but as far as the Chang Hon system, it does not appear in the materials, nor have I ever heard anyone say it's a part of the system.
Fair enough

Star Dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I suggest you watch this. For starters.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
does anyone know if they have an internal side like chinese arts or even sanchin from karate?
How do you coordinate your breathing with your kicks when you throw front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick combo?

Do you

- hold your breath?
- exhale and inhale in each and every kick?
- exhale 1/4 on each kick and save 1/4 in your lung?
- ...?

To me, that can be considered as the "internal side".

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How do you coordinate your breathing with your kicks when you throw front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick combo?

Do you

- hold your breath?
- exhale and inhale in each and every kick?
- exhale 1/4 on each kick and save 1/4 in your lung?
- ...?

To me, that can be considered as the "internal side".
Internal energy has to built up with slow refined moves e.g. kicks for taek breathe in hold the breath tighten the stomach muscles only and snap a straight side kick or whatever you choose with a sharp exhale all through the nose eventually your body will move as a unit with a single force.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is some science in it, it just isn't very good.

Well, no... I think it would be more accurate to say that there is entertainment in it, using some pseudo-science as a prop.
But no real science.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suggest you watch this. For starters.

[]

Is your point to show how force measured on a dummy in an immovable fame is different than on a human not in any sort of immovable contraption, and how he begins to move to the rear with the spear in his throat as it presses on the collarbone area as shown by the red marks, establish there is nothing explainable?

Star Dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No. It's just an innocent example for what I am getting at, which is that there are in fact a whole lot of things not currently explainable by science - including some of the manifestations that chi/ki takes. That doesn't mean that they don't exist. Nor does it mean that they won't be explainable by a more advanced future science. Actually, quantum physics has already taken a step beyond the materialistic and mechanistic views of the 19th century and begun to embrace the reality of spirit. Needless to say, many still cling to those basically outdated views, believing them to be an ultimate triumph over silly ancient/Asian superstition. Well, all I can say is: Good luck! :)

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. It's just an innocent example for what I am getting at, which is that there are in fact a whole lot of things not currently explainable by science - including some of the manifestations that chi/ki takes.

The spear on the throat is not one of them.

Actually, quantum physics has already taken a step beyond the materialistic and mechanistic views of the 19th century and begun to embrace the reality of spirit.

And you have a source on this?

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The spear on the throat is not one of them.

And you have a source on this?
Dont worry no ones forcing you to accept the existence of chi within and around the human body.

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No. It's just an innocent example for what I am getting at, which is that there are in fact a whole lot of things not currently explainable by science - including some of the manifestations that chi/ki takes. That doesn't mean that they don't exist. Nor does it mean that they won't be explainable by a more advanced future science. Actually, quantum physics has already taken a step beyond the materialistic and mechanistic views of the 19th century and begun to embrace the reality of spirit. Needless to say, many still cling to those basically outdated views, believing them to be an ultimate triumph over silly ancient/Asian superstition. Well, all I can say is: Good luck! :)
The human system is very complex with varying layers chi is a subtle layer closely related to blood but can only be felt with a subtle awareness its apart of the physical and at the same time not apart of it thats why its so difficult to pin point on what kind of energy source it is.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dont worry no ones forcing you to accept the existence of chi within and around the human body.
The role of chi as an energy source preventing the spear from going through the practitioner's throat has not been established in this case, removing any requirement of me accepting it's existence..

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The role of chi as an energy source preventing the spear from going through the practitioner's throat has not been established in this case, removing any requirement of me accepting it's existence..
Fair enough

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The human system is very complex with varying layers chi is a subtle layer closely related to blood but can only be felt with a subtle awareness its apart of the physical and at the same time not apart of it thats why its so difficult to pin point on what kind of energy source it is.

It depends what you want chi to do. So you don't necessarily have to explain it just show it works. Which I don't think chi has done in an acceptable manner yet.

I am trying to hunt down where it has been tested under laboratory conditions. So you don't bring your own spear. And so on.

Found this. Which is interesting but not conclusive.

Last edited:

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I understand where your coming from I guess you have to experience it but not like the dude in that vid lol..I think his was more religious spirit conjuring type which is dangerous because the practitioner gets possessed but im talking about self mastery from a feal teacher who knows how the layers of the body work.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Perhaps there is also an interaction with other systems vis a vis stimulation of Lymphatic, endocrine and other systems.

Yeah, I've seen some benefit to internal/chi study in Hapkido, but I think something like this is what's really at work with it. Not some mystical power, but rather that breathing and moving in a certain way allows you to alter/stimulate blood flow or adrenaline or some other normally autonomic function of the body. I tend to be very suspicious of any supposed "magic power" or "miracle technique" for anything.

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen some benefit to internal/chi study in Hapkido, but I think something like this is what's really at work with it. Not some mystical power, but rather that breathing and moving in a certain way allows you to alter/stimulate blood flow or adrenaline or some other normally autonomic function of the body. I tend to be very suspicious of any supposed "magic power" or "miracle technique" for anything.
I agree with your saying but also disagree on the fact that it only works on nervous adrenaline function etc thats basic it works upwards after that towards your spirt call it mystical or whatever but once you understand those layers of the self then their not mystical, they become reality which is apart of every human 'being'

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
religious spirit conjuring type which is dangerous because the practitioner gets possessed

What possesses them? I hope you aren't going to tell me that it's devils or demons.

Latest Discussions