non-contact traditional Taekwondo

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
Traditional?
Do you train joint locks, close in fighting, and takedowns?

I trained what I would call traditional TKD, before it was an olympic sport, in the 70s with Jae Hun Kim and that is what we trained along with the high kicks. But we had contact sparing as well
No we don’t. It seems more about training forms jumping kicks and getting a good workout in a non contact environment. It’s called Kim’s Taekwon-do Portland

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What would be a good Karate style that you suggest?
I'm probably a bad one to ask (being a tkd guy myself). I've certainly seen some very good training in Wado Kai, Shotokan, and Kyokoshin. If I was in that situation, I'd probably try Shotokan 1st if available

OP
S

Samurai Mind

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm probably a bad one to ask (being a tkd guy myself). I've certainly seen some very good training in Wado Kai, Shotokan, and Kyokoshin. If I was in that situation, I'd probably try Shotokan 1st if available
What style of tkd do you train?

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What style of tkd do you train?
A mostly forgotten version of ITF style (not affiliated) from when it was still more Karate styled and before sine wave. We do light to moderate contact sparring and focus heavily on generating power through hip rotation.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
A mostly forgotten version of ITF style (not affiliated) from when it was still more Karate styled and before sine wave. We do light to moderate contact sparring and focus heavily on generating power through hip rotation.
Do you know your lineage? Your instructor? Their instructor etc.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you know your lineage? Your instructor? Their instructor etc.
Yes. Our school was originally founded in the 1970s by Kwon, Tae Sung. I believe he was originally with Chung Do Kwan, but I can't find any definitive information about that. In the interest of internet privacy, I'll send you some further details privately sir.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. Our school was originally founded in the 1970s by Kwon, Tae Sung. I believe he was originally with Chung Do Kwan, but I can't find any definitive information about that. In the interest of internet privacy, I'll send you some further details privately sir.
Well, that would put him in line with Han Cha Kyo who was also a CDK product and did non contact sparring.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You aren't allowed to compete in competitions outside of our association
How are they gonna stop you?

Non contact sparring isn't unheard of in schools that maybe don't have great liability insurance or teach out of a church or rec center. If the whole association is nothing but Non-contact and you want to learn how to actually pressure test your techniques then you will be left wanting. You need some level of contact/pressure testing for practical MA training. The biggest red flag I see from what you posted is the fact that they won't let you compete outside of your association. This can sometimes (but not always) be a sign that its an MA cult/mcdojo.

Ultimately if you aren't enjoying it then it may be time for something new. If you like the way they do techniques then maybe a Shotokan school would be a good fit since early TKD was basically just a Korean version of Shotokan.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Non contact sparring must be like non contact sex. Fun to talk about....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Non contact sparring isn't unheard of in schools that maybe don't have great liability insurance or teach out of a church or rec center. If the whole association is nothing but Non-contact and you want to learn how to actually pressure test your techniques then you will be left wanting. You need some level of contact/pressure testing for practical MA training. The biggest red flag I see from what you posted is the fact that they won't let you compete outside of your association. This can sometimes (but not always) be a sign that its an MA cult/mcdojo.

Ultimately if you aren't enjoying it then it may be time for something new. If you like the way they do techniques then maybe a Shotokan school would be a good fit since early TKD was basically just a Korean version of Shotokan.

And it's non contact. I mean they are hardly going to beat you up over the issue.

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score

I’m actually going to switch to one of the best competitor WTF kukki schools in my entire metro. They produce state and national competitors. I’ll get some contact there and overall develop great skills. It’s coached by former Taekwondo champions. Also it’s closer to my house.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of Han Cha Kyo's students told me he asked him about non contact sparring and his response was in the military that they could not risk injury from contact sparring because because they might need to go into combat and fight for real at any moment.
NAM, Tae-hi (남태희; 南太熙; 19 March 1929 – 7 November 2013) was a pioneering South Korean master of taekwondo, and is known as the 'Father of Vietnamese Taekwondo.' With Hong Hi Choi, he co-founded the Oh Do Kwan and led the twelve original masters of taekwondo of the Korean Taekwon-Do Association (KTA).

While fighting in the Korean War, Nam gained famed for hand-to-hand combat during the Battle on Yongmun Mountain:

"In the dark, Nam heard a noise, ran into somebody, and tried to grab the man's hair during the scuffle. The Chinese soldier was trying to do the same. With no light, the only way to distinguish friend from foe was by grabbing at a head, because communists had crew cuts and South Koreans had slightly longer hair. In that trench, Nam felt short hair — almost bald — and he struck. His enemy fell."He heard another soldier. He punched, flailed. Ran on. As the two armies fought in the dark trenches, Nam tapped men's heads when he could. Crew cut meant attack; long hair, pull back. He could not use a bayonet and fought with his hands all night, thinking of nothing — no mind — stumbling through the dark, striking , kneeing, moving. When he fell, he would stand again. The next day, the communists retreated from the trenches and the fighting continued with guns... The next day's battle ended as night fell, but Nam kept fighting. Most of his thirty-one men were dead, and he had not slept for three nights. He had not eaten in how many days? He worked out that he had missed nine meals. He collapsed from exhaustion..."That day, during the retreat, Nam wandered to a spot where he had fought during the night before. He found many dead bodies and counted more than two dozen with no bullet or knife wounds. They were the ones he had hit during the night, the ones with broken faces and bones, but there was no time to dwell on these things. Seeing the Chinese divisions weakened , all the South Koreans, including the main line ten kilometres away, counter-attacked and chased the communists over Yongmun Mountain. Thanks to Nam and his battalion, one Korean division backed by an American division defeated three communist divisions. The battle would soon be in Korea's military records: a famous, horrific lesson in how to defend a mountain top against a 360-degree attack.

brian k

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone else here train in non-contact traditional Taekwondo? I recently joined such of a school and see some red flags. It's part of an independent organization with a lot of schools in my region of the US which seems like a non-contact version of ITF. We practice Chon Ji etc. so ITF patterns. Competitions are non- contact sparring divisions and board breaking along with forms. You aren't allowed to compete in competitions outside of our association. I like the instructors a lot and all of the other students but when it comes to a technical standpoint, I feel the instructors and other black belt students don't have great technique. I started Taekwondo because I like the history of the art and wanted to learn solid and aesthetically pleasing kicking technique. I like Taekwondo's lifestyle a lot and plan to train it my entire life. I'm currently in my 30's. When I look at Kukkiwon schools in my area the black belts and instructors have great kicking technique. I'm more interested in training Taekwondo with contact. We don't have any competitive ITF semi-contact schools in my area. Only two traditional non-contact Taekwondo schools and the rest of the schools in my area are Kukkiwon. My question is am I in a mcdojo? I'm not under any contracts or anything. The skill level seems kind of suspect is all. They train great with patterns but when it comes to physical skill level it doesn't seem like it's there. I trained in amatuer boxing in my early 20's so I have decent hands already. Do you think I should switch to a kukkiwon school?
If you're just in it for the exercise and life style, it's fine...if you believe you can protect yourself without actually hitting one an other, you're in for a rude awakening. And if you think your boxing days will just come back out of nowhere, you are sadly mistaken. Hitting a bag helps a bit, but I for one know that you lose your abilities of distancing, timing, avoiding, countering, etc...You have to get hit to learn how to take a strike, kick, etc...and you have to be able to give a hit as well. This only happens during live sparring. So in essence, it's up to you...What do you want to do? Thinking you can learn how to fight by punching & kicking the air is like learning how to swim on land.

super saiyan 4

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If they're fully non-contact, and preventing you from training other styles (my guess based on not allowed to enter other competitions), you're not going to learn everything you need. Contact of some sort is needed to refine your technique, especially at the beginning, and to learn proper distancing.

The fact that they don't allow you to participate in competitions outside of their org suggests to me they're aware that as a whole they're not teaching you the skills you would need to actually fight with, and this is their way of keeping that a secret.
Thank god you know what you're talking about

KungfukennyG

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone else here train in non-contact traditional Taekwondo? I recently joined such of a school and see some red flags. It's part of an independent organization with a lot of schools in my region of the US which seems like a non-contact version of ITF. We practice Chon Ji etc. so ITF patterns. Competitions are non- contact sparring divisions and board breaking along with forms. You aren't allowed to compete in competitions outside of our association. I like the instructors a lot and all of the other students but when it comes to a technical standpoint, I feel the instructors and other black belt students don't have great technique. I started Taekwondo because I like the history of the art and wanted to learn solid and aesthetically pleasing kicking technique. I like Taekwondo's lifestyle a lot and plan to train it my entire life. I'm currently in my 30's. When I look at Kukkiwon schools in my area the black belts and instructors have great kicking technique. I'm more interested in training Taekwondo with contact. We don't have any competitive ITF semi-contact schools in my area. Only two traditional non-contact Taekwondo schools and the rest of the schools in my area are Kukkiwon. My question is am I in a mcdojo? I'm not under any contracts or anything. The skill level seems kind of suspect is all. They train great with patterns but when it comes to physical skill level it doesn't seem like it's there. I trained in amatuer boxing in my early 20's so I have decent hands already. Do you think I should switch to a kukkiwon school?
Based on my own experience, if they don't allow you to compete in outside tournaments, you are in a bad school. Run away. I hope they didn't soak you on a contract.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone else here train in non-contact traditional Taekwondo? I recently joined such of a school and see some red flags. It's part of an independent organization with a lot of schools in my region of the US which seems like a non-contact version of ITF. We practice Chon Ji etc. so ITF patterns. Competitions are non- contact sparring divisions and board breaking along with forms.
It's been around a very long time. My grand children did it. Good for kids and has probably replaced judo as many parents would take the kids out of that as they got injured falling.