Taekwondo Doesn't work on someone skilled

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Power of legs is unbelievable maybe thats why in the east they train alot on their hands like the wheel barrow exercise up flights of stairs or mountain tops we only use a small percentage of our real strength and alot of it is hidden in the legs..I still think we have diluted versions of takewondo

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to agree. Taekwondo is not a self defense fighting art. It's basically a kids after school baby sitting service for parents.

That is where the money is. So you will always see more examples of succesfull buisness than those that may sacrifice studens due to exposing tjem to more hardship than they would like.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Power of legs is unbelievable maybe thats why in the east they train alot on their hands like the wheel barrow exercise up flights of stairs or mountain tops we only use a small percentage of our real strength and alot of it is hidden in the legs..I still think we have diluted versions of takewondo

I'm not sure why you would think that 'people in the east' spend a lot of time on their hands!

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You dont see many westetn gyms practicing variations of bodyweight training its the usual boring stretches to begin the class which takes most of the time then practicing forms then take your money..diluted

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yep you can't have a strong tree without a strong root. For CMA's the legs are the root, they not only have to be strong but also conditioned. A Muay Thai fighter will quickly show most martial artists why their legs should be conditioned. Fighting in a low stance will quickly show why a fighter needs to have strong legs. I know many schools in the U.S. neglect both of these.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You dont see many westetn gyms practicing variations of bodyweight training its the usual boring stretches to begin the class which takes most of the time then practicing forms then take your money..diluted

You don't? then I must have been very mistaken in what I've seen and trained these many years. It would be better not to make sweeping generalisations about how people in the 'east' and the 'west' train you know.
There are a huge amount of martial arts clubs, gyms and schools that teach really good martial arts cheaply. Just because the place/s you've seen aren't good doesn't mean you can label all places like that.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does taekwondo have an internal energy building side to it like chinese arts

That's not something I've really seen in TKD. There is some of that in Hapkido, so it does exist in Korean martial arts. And there are different styles/lineages of Taekwondo, so maybe some styles or teachers incorporate some of that into their classes. But I wouldn't say it's a big part of TKD, no.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You don't? then I must have been very mistaken in what I've seen and trained these many years. It would be better not to make sweeping generalisations about how people in the 'east' and the 'west' train you know.
There are a huge amount of martial arts clubs, gyms and schools that teach really good martial arts cheaply. Just because the place/s you've seen aren't good doesn't mean you can label all places like that.
My school doesn't do body weight training only because we don't have the weights anymore. We are working on substituting the weights with other ways to build muscles. I would think that the idea goal of a school would include that in some shape or form being carrying your a fellow student, iron rings, wrist and leg weights, resistance bands or even at the basic level push ups. If the school uses weapons then buying "combat ready" weapons instead of the light weapons will give you a good workout. Strength exercises with heavy staff is a good workout.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Yes, there are many Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, Karate, Kung Fu, etc classes like that out there. Some are expensive classes at "McDojo"-style schools, others are cheap classes at the rec center or gym.

But there are also a lot of rigorous martial arts programs out there that produce skilled and athletic students. Schools that do push-ups, crunches, leg lifts, pop-ups, running, etc. That spend a lot of time kicking pads and heavy bags, that break boards/concrete, that do a lot of sparring.

Also, most schools in Asia or anywhere else are not on mountain tops. I know that's what they always show in the movies, some old master with a white beard living in a mountain temple, blah blah blah, but that's not real life.

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Haha I know its not like that in the big cities of asia but im a backpacker and traveled through asia what we see in movies isnt true or false just go out and experience it for yourself ther masters out there that are high up on mountains with white beards lol ive seen them be open just because we think we know something about the ocean we as humans with all our technology havent even scratched its surface somethings have to be discovered obviously I understand whrere your coming from but just be open to these strange thinga aswel without being to naive or skeptical :)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to agree. Taekwondo is not a self defense fighting art. It's basically a kids after school baby sitting service for parents.
If you really think this, it implies that you also think the following:

- All classes, including kids classes, 'tiny tigers' classes, and adult classes cover the same material.
- What kids do in after school classes is representative of an entire martial art.

Neither of these are particularly reasonable things to think. Just saying.
That is where the money is. So you will always see more examples of succesfull buisness than those that may sacrifice studens due to exposing tjem to more hardship than they would like.
This is double edged. A school owner who isn't offering kid's classes is missing a massive opportunity to invest in long term talent development, and to financially support the operation of the training centre for adults as well as kids. It is just good business sense.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My school doesn't do body weight training only because we don't have the weights anymore. We are working on substituting the weights with other ways to build muscles. I would think that the idea goal of a school would include that in some shape or form being carrying your a fellow student, iron rings, wrist and leg weights, resistance bands or even at the basic level push ups. If the school uses weapons then buying "combat ready" weapons instead of the light weapons will give you a good workout. Strength exercises with heavy staff is a good workout.
erm... I'm not sure you really understand what a body weight exercise is.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is double edged. A school owner who isn't offering kid's classes is missing a massive opportunity to invest in long term talent development, and to financially support the operation of the training centre for adults as well as kids. It is just good business sense.

Drop bear can speak for himself, but I took his comment to be more about how physically demanding the classes are for the students, rather than how old the students are. When you push kids hard, some will give up and quit, hence the BS McDojo-y babysitting approach. But then, if you don't push, some will get bored and quit.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's not something I've really seen in TKD. There is some of that in Hapkido, so it does exist in Korean martial arts. And there are different styles/lineages of Taekwondo, so maybe some styles or teachers incorporate some of that into their classes. But I wouldn't say it's a big part of TKD, no.
You do poomsae though, right? And use the various junbi positions? And kihaps? And use the typical targets arae, momtong and olgul, along with palmok? And practice breaking?

I think you are right in that it is there, but often isn't emphasised, at least until much later in the dan levels.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Drop bear can speak for himself, but I took his comment to be more about how physically demanding the classes are for the students, rather than how old the students are. When you push kids hard, some will give up and quit, hence the BS McDojo-y babysitting approach. But then, if you don't push, some will get bored and quit.
That's what I meant by double edged. It's is a balance between getting and keeping students, and actually teaching martial arts involving pain and discomfort.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
erm... I'm not sure you really understand what a body weight exercise is.
I guess not. I've heard so many exercise terms during my life. I group exercises into 2 categories, one with weights and one without weights. The exercises that only uses the weight of the body are the functional exercises. The exercises that use the terms "weight? are weight lifting type exercises where the weight is something other than the body.

From your response then I guess it's the function exercise?
Functional exercises are called functional because it builds muscle in the manner that the body naturally uses muscles.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess not. I've heard so many exercise terms during my life. I group exercises into 2 categories, one with weights and one without weights. The exercises that only uses the weight of the body are the functional exercises. The exercises that use the terms "weight? are weight lifting type exercises where the weight is something other than the body.

From your response then I guess it's the function exercise?
Functional exercises are called functional because it builds muscle in the manner that the body naturally uses muscles.
"Body weight exercises" generally refers to those exercise that use the person's own body weight to provide resistance, i.e. pushups, pullups, squats, etc.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Body weight exercises" generally refers to those exercise that use the person's own body weight to provide resistance, i.e. pushups, pullups, squats, etc.
Thanks, that was my second guess. I know those as "functional exercises" so I guess I'm behing on the lingo. Now I have to go redo my comment lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Correction from my previous comment. I agree with Tez3 on this one.

Bodyweight training is big in CMAs as well as fitness gyms in the U.S. There used to be a time where it was always about pushing Iron, but many started to learn that they had the muscle, but they weren't exactly functional muscles. People who had big strong legs were able to do heavy squats but could only remain in a horse stance for a short period of time.

For example, this looks impressive but it doesn't engage the same muscles that are used in a real horse stance. It's actually much easier than a real horse stance. I tried the same exercise which is why I know it's easier, because it was.

This is the reason why bodyweight training is a big thing here. It's all about strengthening muscles in the way that they perform naturally, which means that all involved muscle groups are being worked. Martial arts in general have always worked like "bodyweight training" as their foundation. Most martial arts just refer to it as conditioning and not "bodyweight training." For martial arts schools that don't have weights, lifting your body is pretty much the only thing you have to work with. Certain types of kung fu naturally have that in the forms and movements.

By the way functional fitness / functional strength is what everyone is going to depend on when they get into their 70's. People who don't have it, and are otherwise healthy, are often seen struggling doing every day tasks like walking up stairs. If you live or have been in the southern USA then you'll probably have seen people in their 30's - 50's have trouble doing every day movements.

Latest Discussions