Taekwondo Doesn't work on someone skilled

martialartstutor

White Belt
Reaction score

No resistance = no real technique. It's that simple.
"Martial" means having to do with or suitable for war.
And "art" means skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice. If you aren't learning something suitable for combat through repetition, you are learning how to dance and punch the air. Not apply techniques in a life or death situation. The community needs to be aware that pure taekwondo schools in our world today will not teach you the fundamental skills for self-defense and how to fight. Sure it may look good in movies, but in the ring, on the street, ect. It won't work. There may be some schools out there however, that offer taekwondo in addition to other martial arts. But a pure taekwondo school would not do that for you.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wrong again boys. You really, really need you get out more. Ears open, mouths closed.

There is more to Taekwondo than exists in your limited sphere of experience. Extrapolating from limited data to generalise about a whole art, especially on this forum where the experience of members is many times your life span, is making you both look silly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sort of.

They touch on issues that will make self defence really hard. These things being training in a compliant manner. And therefore basing martial skill on something other than being able to flog your training partner around the room creating this sidestep from reality.

And yes you will see tkd schools that are craptastic.

To suggest it is inherently a tkd deal is not really correct.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrong again boys. You really, really need you get out more. Ears open, mouths closed.

There is more to Taekwondo than exists in your limited sphere of experience. Extrapolating from limited data to generalise about a whole art, especially on this forum where the experience of members is many times your life span, is making you both look silly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This does not work as a counter argument as you only touched on the actual issue. And then went into some terrible appeal to authority.

OK pretend they don't care that someone has been doing martial arts for a long time. And that being old does not automatically make a person right. Instead use the experience to address the merits of the system itself.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This does not work as a counter argument as you only touched on the actual issue. And then went into some terrible appeal to authority.

OK pretend they don't care that someone has been doing martial arts for a long time. And that being old does not automatically make a person right. Instead use the experience to address the merits of the system itself.

There's plenty of resistive training in TKD, and plenty of people with knowledge of how to make it work in reality. It's not my job to educate people here, or to espouse the merits of a system I already practice and clearly have knowledge of that they don't. That is what classes are for. I can certainly point out a failure in the conclusion they are drawing from an incredibly small sample, though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's plenty of resistive training in TKD, and plenty of people with knowledge of how to make it work in reality. It's not my job to educate people here, or to espouse the merits of a system I already practice and clearly have knowledge of that they don't. That is what classes are for. I can certainly point out a failure in the conclusion they are drawing from an incredibly small sample, though.

I agreed with the point that their is more than one version of tkd. But it is not something I would just take on face value.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agreed with the point that their is more than one version of tkd. But it is not something I would just take on face value.
I wouldn't expect you to, and it doesn't matter what you think because you don't do Taekwondo and you don't profess to be a master. They do.

What I find odd is that they have taken at face value that there is only one type of taekwondo, and it is the one they have done.

That's part of the problem. People expect their one trainer to be able to show them everything. In a multi-disciplinary art like Taekwondo, you have got to seek out the experts in what you want to practice, and do some work yourself.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect you to.

What I find odd is that they have taken at face value that there is only one type of taekwondo, and it is the one they have done.

That's part of the problem. People expect their one trainer to be able to show them everything. In a multi-disciplinary art like Taekwondo, you have got to seek out the experts in what you want to practice, and do some work yourself.

Plenty of trainers perpetuate that myth. That is why I like that people are sceptical. Even if they are wielding that scepticism like a hammer in this case.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I find odd is that they have taken at face value that there is only one type of taekwondo, and it is the one they have done

That's the problem isn't it. When you assume that what you train in is the only style and the only way you can train, this can mean you either think it's the best ever or it's useless. Goodness knows we've had examples of both types of people on here. In both cases a decent amount of research into other styles, other branches of your style and how others train would solve the problem.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Martial" means having to do with or suitable for war.
Exactly, "suitable for war" it does not mean "suitable for self defence".

However it would have been more acurate to call the video "Our taekwondo is useless for self defence" rather than "taekwondo is useless for self defence".

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I do not do TKD, I believe it is not so much the method of fighting that is the problem, but that they hand black belts out like candy, and now my system does it. :(

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to tear up their straight punch argument, I am siding with TKD. If you do the right footwork, they will be there for a straight punch. That is how that works. :)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Not an appeal to authority, but an observation which validates the next point I will make.

The stuff you learn and the ways you practice it as an adult are different to the things you do as a kid. These guys might think they have seen everything Taekwondo has to offer in their 15 years training, but only some of those years have been adult training. Many of the people here on the site have been training as adults for many times longer than that 15 years, and have a much better understanding of what the complete adult martial art of Taekwondo covers. That's not an appeal to authority, but an observation that they are perhaps not best placed to make generalisations and not meet resistance.

No problem with skepticism supported by a scientific approach. The issue I have is with people sitting and pontificating about something that they haven't bothered to investigate fully.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

And "art" means skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice. .

Classic logical fallacy - Set up a "Straw Man"

While you have used a definition that is technically correct, it is not typically applied or thought of as such. For instance, many professions and trades have skill acquired thru practice (i.e. Plumbers, Carpenters, Mechanics, surgeons) yet what they do is not typically considered an "Art" . nor are they referred to as "Artists". The difference is that there are things done in "Martial Arts" which have an aesthetic element.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Bada Bing, Bada Boom! Therein lies the issue. It's Caveat Emptor. You buy into BS and taint an entire industry because they went in and stayed in with eyes closed.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bada Bing, Bada Boom! Therein lies the issue. It's Caveat Emptor. You buy into BS and taint an entire industry because they went in and stayed in with eyes closed.

Exactly. It pains me that people make generalisations about Taekwondo as an art based on the fact that the strip mall dojang at the end of their street did not teach them to a world class level. Of course it didn't. But, what did they do to seek out experts and develop themselves? Nothing.

I think it is fair to say there is a difference between a strip mall 4th dan who only trained art a single dojang, and one who has actively travelled to seek out and train with the best in the world. The standard of either of those people does not change the nature of the art, however.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am going to use their logic for a moment: I used to drive an old Holden Gemini, it had a hole in the floor, the gearshift was held on by wire and string, it was rusty and broke down a lot. Automobiles are useless as methods of transportation.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am going to use their logic for a moment: I used to drive an old Holden Gemini, it had a hole in the floor, the gearshift was held on by wire and string, it was rusty and broke down a lot. Automobiles are useless as methods of transportation.

By their logic, the Gemini was in that state because they failed to maintain it.

If you aren't able to apply Taekwondo, there is nobody else to blame but yourself. Especially post first dan, which they both apparently are.

Latest Discussions