Taekwondo Doesn't work on someone skilled

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What evidence do you sight to support this position?

It is the use of logic.So the evidence is your statement that fighting is secondary to self defence Coupled with the statement that some martial artists don't fight very well.

Dosent seem that much of a stretch.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used your evidence.

How is that reasoning not sound?
First of all I did not say fighting is secondary to self defense, they are two different things. Fighting is not as concern for a self defense art at all. You defend yourself when you have to, you do not go out starting fights or getting into them if you can avoid them to prove you are better than anyone. Someone attacks you you defend yourself until you no longer have to. It's not that hard.

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I actually dont know what your talking about now..im lost hahah :-S

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All I know is TMA are good self defense if you can understand the principles and use them simple

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ahhh I see I re read over the messages lol I understand where your coming from @ RTKDCMB

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
First of all I did not say fighting is secondary to self defense, they are two different things. Fighting is not as concern for a self defense art at all. You defend yourself when you have to, you do not go out starting fights or getting into them if you can avoid them to prove you are better than anyone. Someone attacks you you defend yourself until you no longer have to. It's not that hard.

So a self defence art treats fighting as a lesser skill? Is not its primary concern?

I don't think there are many starting fights oriented martial arts. But there are defiantly arts that treat fighting as its primary focus. It would stand to reason that they would be better at fighting.

So is tkd focused on fighting or self defence?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should probably get there is a difference between the two first.

If there is a difference and self defence is not fighting then fighting is not as comprehensively covered in a self defence oriented martial art as it is in a fighting martial art.

Is that not reasonable?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If there is a difference and self defence is not fighting then fighting is not as comprehensively covered in a self defence oriented martial art as it is in a fighting martial art.

Is that not reasonable?

As with many things if 2 people cannot agree on how terms are defined a meaningful discussion is impossible. "Fighting" typically (but not literally) gives the impression of 2 people willing to engage in a mutual exchange. SD on the other hand typicaly involves one person attacking another who has not agreed to such an exchange and only enters into such out of neccessity. SD can and should typically if possible rely on Nike Jitsu / Run Fu.. SD primarily involves "Defense" against an attack which can include pre emption, avoidance, as well as "Defense" and counter attack.

There are places like RMCAT which only deal with SD, and it's founder readily and repeatedly states that he does not teach MA.

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah you guys both are looking at a word "fighting" in 2 different ways so I agree with both self defence is fighting and looking to attack is fighting yin an yang

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fighting and self-defense are not the same, but they do have areas of overlap. Some of the attributes and skills that are useful for one may also be useful in the other, although not always. Self-defense may sometimes involve fighting, but the tactical goals will usually be different from those in a consensual fight.

In fact, "fighting" and "self-defense" both cover a wide variety of situations. The skills and tactics which are appropriate in one fight scenario may not be helpful (and may be downright disadvantageous) in another. Same with self-defense.

Rather than saying "my art is for fighting" or "my art is for self-defense", it may be more useful to say something like "my training is optimized for fighting/self-protection in Scenario A, but certain skills and attributes that I'm building will be useful in Scenarios B, C, D, and E. My skills could also be useful in Scenarios F and G, but the tactics I've developed for Scenario A will get me in trouble, so I have to be prepared to recognize those situations and adapt my reactions accordingly. Scenarios H, I, and J are beyond the scope of what I've prepared for and I have no relevant expertise there."

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nicely put@ tony dismukes

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good analogy about scenarios and how strategic think is important where its attacking or defending and what techniques could work and what may not

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As with many things if 2 people cannot agree on how terms are defined a meaningful discussion is impossible. "Fighting" typically (but not literally) gives the impression of 2 people willing to engage in a mutual exchange. SD on the other hand typicaly involves one person attacking another who has not agreed to such an exchange and only enters into such out of neccessity. SD can and should typically if possible rely on Nike Jitsu / Run Fu.. SD primarily involves "Defense" against an attack which can include pre emption, avoidance, as well as "Defense" and counter attack.

There are places like RMCAT which only deal with SD, and it's founder readily and repeatedly states that he does not teach MA.

Yeah but here it doesn't matter. If the martial art in question believes self defence is not fighting and focuses on self defence their fighting is going to suffer.

So it is not about whether I subscribe to the idea.(which I don't)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fighting and self-defense are not the same, but they do have areas of overlap. Some of the attributes and skills that are useful for one may also be useful in the other, although not always. Self-defense may sometimes involve fighting, but the tactical goals will usually be different from those in a consensual fight.

In fact, "fighting" and "self-defense" both cover a wide variety of situations. The skills and tactics which are appropriate in one fight scenario may not be helpful (and may be downright disadvantageous) in another. Same with self-defense.

Rather than saying "my art is for fighting" or "my art is for self-defense", it may be more useful to say something like "my training is optimized for fighting/self-protection in Scenario A, but certain skills and attributes that I'm building will be useful in Scenarios B, C, D, and E. My skills could also be useful in Scenarios F and G, but the tactics I've developed for Scenario A will get me in trouble, so I have to be prepared to recognize those situations and adapt my reactions accordingly. Scenarios H, I, and J are beyond the scope of what I've prepared for and I have no relevant expertise there."

Yeah. Situational defence. I did try that idea a while back. But did not get much traction. So just as a way to make yourself safer. You may need to learn first aid or how to fall or swim or a whole bunch of life skills.

Like what they do in the army.

Latest Discussions