Tae Kwon Do Spirit - In your own words what is it??

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We have all heard of this term in either way - Tae Kwon Do Spirit / Martial Spirit but what does it mean to you in your own words??

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial spirit to me is a life long endevour. Unlike many other sports, past time, hobbies etc, martial arts is something you can do for life, and weaves its way into the way you do other things. Its a catalyst for self improvement, both physically and mentally, and for some it involves facing your demons. Physical exchanges (even in a training situation) can be quite intimidating for some and facing up to those fears can also be apart of building up martial spirit. I also believe martial spirit involves pushing yourself regularly which builds stength of spirit. When I meet eperienced martial artists they carry a certain auora, they are confident but not cocky, they are kind but not weak and both physically and menatally they are strong. I see this accross all arts, I dont necessarilly believe that tkd spirit is any different to the spirit of any art, and I therefore consider it martial spirit, not tkd spirit.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
I call it 'TKD Spirit' only because that's the style I train in - but to me - TKD spirit is the disciplined, never quit attitude that spills over into other aspects of my life...the ability to get knocked down and keep pushing forward and regardless of weather or any other 'excuse', that inner voice that says, "Shut Up and Train"!!!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I call it 'TKD Spirit' only because that's the style I train in - but to me - TKD spirit is the disciplined, never quit attitude that spills over into other aspects of my life...the ability to get knocked down and keep pushing forward and regardless of weather or any other 'excuse', that inner voice that says, "Shut Up and Train"!!!
Its so true that it spills over into other aspects of your life. Within 12 months of me starting tkd I began other forms of fitness (I now run 30 klm minimum a week), I eat healthy, I sit in front of the TV stretching, my wife and kids now train etc. It really is a catalyst for many positive changes in your life.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe it is the spirit of facing and challenging your self honestly and ceaselessly on the path to mastery of your self. As it grows, this spirit affects more aspects of your life.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is that thing in all of us that will not allow us to quit or be beaten by ourselfs.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
discovery from within
never give up
appreciation of life

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will put into very simplified format that our GM always impressed and is the primary focus for training at all and the reason to teach others. Based on the logo for Jidokwan like the Bozo the Clown blow up dumby many of us as kids had growing up in the 50's its self righting it gets knocked down but always gets back up.

There is no right or wrong no win or loose its about participation doing your personal best and effort is its own reward. 1st 2nd 3rd can be arbitrary in sports based part in luck and good judges that day attitude is more important. You are never defeated as long as you are still alive. There is no loosing but learning from mistakes or adversity is all positive. Have wealth in family and friends and help those less fortunate. Quote (For, as we know, Martial Arts builds rather than erodes the relationship the individual has with society. Master Choi made sure we understood that it is not good enough to 'just know' this philosophy, but to live it daily. Close qoute from the Bio of my good friend GM Rohr

The Irish Kicker

White Belt
Reaction score
WOW!! I read the title for this thread and was excited. I couldnt wait to express the excitement and love I have for TKD. The passion that I have for it that is invading every facet of my life. Then I read through everyones replies and it was like I was reading my own reply! It was awesome to see my passion mirrored in others! Thanks everyone! Its that feeling/passion/love and respect that makes TKD awesome!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me at least, the spirit of taekwondo is that of a longtime sweetheart. There to encourage me to start and give me confidence when I was a child. There to keep me going when I was a teen and young adult and was trying to find my way in life, never demanding, but always calling on me just enough to keep me grounded. And there for me as an adult, waiting with open arms when I finally returned full time, with no judgement or recriminations about the time away; just happy to have me back on a more permanent basis.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TKD gets a lot of bashing, but at least it is that of the practitioner who should be the ONLY one concerned if they enjoy and desire it

Pinigseu1

White Belt
Reaction score
I think that the spirit of taekwondo is about the five tenants of taekwondo. 1. Curtousy -treat others the way you would like to be treated. 2. Integrity- doing the right thing always. 3. Self control- controling your emotions and actions. 4. Perserverance- never giving up. 5. Indomitable spirit- your true spirit never dies. I believe that if we live our lives by these tenants to the best of our ability everyday then the taekwondo spirit will live thru us and become stronger within us all as we pass down the teachings of our masters to the newcomers of our art.

Pinigseu1

White Belt
Reaction score
i'm sorry I may have spelled it wrong. Tenets? Anyway I think most KKW schools use the same principals.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The spirit of TKD is not in tenets...it is in the people who desire to study. TKD Tenets are in every martial art or culture set within moral behavior

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't quite understand. If this is what I believe so why is it wrong?

It isn't that its "wrong". More inaccurate

The tenets of TKD surfaced as a learning curve.

Most martial arts already have these without it being a "written canon on a wall'

The large population, within a moral society, have these without being martial artists.

The thread is entitled;
Tae Kwon Do Spirit - In your own words what is it??

Reciting the tenets, are really not in one's "own words"

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have all heard of this term in either way - Tae Kwon Do Spirit / Martial Spirit but what does it mean to you in your own words??
Desire, Discipline, Dedication and Perseverance. You never give up, and every day that you train, you try to do it better than you did it yesterday.

Latest Discussions