Summertime uniforms

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree I wear Tokaido and Shureido and I am moving back to the Shureido gi's primarily and they breathe well.

hapki68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We wear a uniform all year. My instructor (Master) is pretty big on formality, which I think we all like. The class is a lot of fun... but he makes sure we treat the uniform with respect, always bow to the flag, and thank each other in Korean after every class.

He barely uses the air conditioner, because he thinks it's good to see us sweat, which is probably true. And he loves putting us through intense cardio workouts. For example, last night, he made us do 200 situps in a row.

I'm not a big fan of heat and wouldn't mind wearing shorts... but I like how a uniform makes you feel more like a hapkidoan than a t-shirt does.

Patrick

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the cropped pants although most guys have these hairy legs...

I like the idea of t-shirts and dobok pants. The pants we have are loose enough for airflow but the long sleeved dobok top is too much in the summertime. Doubt I'm going to change anything. My instructor wants everyone to wear a t-shirt for modesty plus the dobok--way too much!! I don't, just a covering sports bra with the dobok. But he still won't let us wear a t-shirt because that shows curves and guys can't handle it. I wonder what they do in the world outside the dojang walls. TW

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Students are permitted to wear gi pants and school T-shirt. I personally like to wear full gi all the time.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Back in the day as people say today. We were expected to give a hard workout in the summer months NO air cond at all. If it was 105 outside it was about 110 inside or more. the instructor would tell you at the begining of the summer months. That if you would continue coming to class Work out notice after your work there was a puddle of sweat on the floor around you knew you had a good work out. . But after the years went by. I broke from TMA art on to nonclassical. No gis what ever was comfortable Still like a warm class room It does help warm the muscles push you some what harder Because it is warmer Not as hot but about 85 thats not bad for a work out temp.. Also out dorr training in the shade gives some breeze. Like to train out side from time to time. But a TMA class often the old gi still has to be worn Not so bad after you break a good sweat and the gi is soaked

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Robert Lee said:
Back in the day as people say today. We were expected to give a hard workout in the summer months NO air cond at all. If it was 105 outside it was about 110 inside or more. the instructor would tell you at the begining of the summer months. That if you would continue coming to class Work out notice after your work there was a puddle of sweat on the floor around you knew you had a good work out. . But after the years went by. I broke from TMA art on to nonclassical. No gis what ever was comfortable Still like a warm class room It does help warm the muscles push you some what harder Because it is warmer Not as hot but about 85 thats not bad for a work out temp.. Also out dorr training in the shade gives some breeze. Like to train out side from time to time. But a TMA class often the old gi still has to be worn Not so bad after you break a good sweat and the gi is soaked

One of the boxing trainers at the community center where I teach actually WANTS it hotter in the boxing area! The A/C has never been turned on in the boxing room & in the summer, it can easiely be 110 outside (but its a dry heat:) ). Now I'm from Chicago & used to the cold. The heat? I dunno. Heck, we ran barefoot in the snow in class once, just to say we did it!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Yup! Kreth implied he trains in a mini-skirt and heels! :rofl: j/k
I firmly believe in preparing to defend yourself in any situation. I'd post pictures of my summer uniform, but I wouldn't want to violate any obscenity laws.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I myself wear my gi all year round. The dojo I attend however allows the students in the summer months to wear gi pants with the dojo t-shirt.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of just a school t-shirt and gi pants with belt, but that's just me. Full uniform, and it doesn't always have to be a heavyweight, they make some decent middleweight ones.....like the one mentioned, Tokon Soverign ;)

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to allow school t-shirts and tank tops during class at my old school. I haven't allowed it since I started teaching at the Y almost 2 years ago but I am thinking about bringing it back as soon as I create a new t-shirt design. It would make a great informal uniform for the children during the summer camp I am preparing for.

Latest Discussions