Styles dying out

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because Jobo took it upon himself to make excuses for him.

The main point is that people can get mad at Joe Rogan saying that MMA and BJJ are the way to go, but the simple reality is that his notions get reinforced by incidents such as what I posted.
There's no such thing as the way to go. It's personal opinion of what people like and any style can be effective and anyone who says all this oh Mma is perfect and the best thing ever just makes themselves look silly to be honest.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you're saying that a Kung Fu master with a great lineage and 30 years experience cant beat some random guy wanting to box him?

That's not a good way to build faith in your system of traditional martial arts.
No, im saying as i have on repeated occasion, that 25 yo beating old men up only proves that 25yo have greater physical attrivutes than 50 yo,

And we have far from etablished the mma is just random guy, yiu have no idea who he is, how long he has trained, in fact anything at all about him

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's no such thing as the way to go. It's personal opinion of what people like and any style can be effective and anyone who says all this oh Mma is perfect and the best thing ever just makes themselves look silly to be honest.

If I were a young person looking for a martial art to take because I was getting bullied, and all I see are videos of other styles getting beat by MMA, why would I join those other styles over MMA?

That's the problem.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, im saying as i have on repeated occasion, that 25 yo beating old men up only proves that 25yo have greater physical attrivutes than 50 yo,

So Bey's martial arts training was worthless? After all, Hung Gar is supposed to improve your physical atteibutes.

Wow, you're just making this worse and worse.

And we have far from etablished the mma is just random guy, yiu have no idea who he is, how long he has trained, in fact anything at all about him

Beyond the fact that he has crappy takedowns (that Bey couldn't stop).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I were a young person looking for a martial art to take because I was getting bullied, and all I see are videos of other styles getting beat by MMA, why would I join those other styles over MMA?

That's the problem.
Hmm, people who are getting buLlied may not wish to climb in a ring with A bully and get beaten up, just a thought,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So Bey's martial arts training was worthless? After all, Hung Gar is supposed to improve your physical atteibutes.

Wow, you're just making this worse and worse.

Beyond the fact that he has crappy takedowns (that Bey couldn't stop).
You cant seriously be running a debate, that old age doesnt make you less of a fighter than you were,? Really,

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's the problem.
Well people do so that's the end of the argument....a lot of people don't know or don't give a damm about mma or UFC. The facts are no style has died out in 25 years of Mma which you know is true because you ignored my question about which style has completely died out. Now don't bother replying I'm not going to waste anymore time on an Mma fanboy

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm, people who are getting buLlied may not wish to climb in a ring with A bully and get beaten up, just a thought,

Just FYI, not every MMA gym is going to force you into a ring to fight.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You cant seriously be running a debate, that old age doesnt make you less of a fighter than you were,? Really,

Indeed it can. However, even when fighters get older, that doesn't mean some less trained kid off the street should be able to just walk up and knock them out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No i asked you to name sports where you would NORMALLY exspect a 50 yo to beat a 25yo, not to name exceptional sports men, in those sports,

Im not claiming the mma is a top draw fighter, your claiming he has ONLY 6 months training, you need to back that up, and you cant !

Like i say, the fact he is dELUSIONAL doesnt help your CASE ANY, i have 50 years experiance playing soccer, that helps not a bit if im playing 25 yo, no matter how much i believe it should

Boxing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Indeed it can. However, even when fighters get older, that doesn't mean some less trained kid off the street should be able to just walk up and knock them out.
Your doibg it again, h is not some kid off the street, he is a trained mma fighter, And not a kid either, a fit young man at his physical peak

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree. Just wondered if anyone knew specific names so they could be researched.

Not read through the whole thread yet, but there is probably anthropological research on that.

We have a lot of immigrant families at our school, and I've had the treat of some of the parents bringing in photos or videos of some different martial arts from their homelands. One Indian mom, for example, showed me a video of some traditional Indian sword-based martial art that she saw on a trip back home. I don't remember the name of it, though.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your doibg it again, h is not some kid off the street, he is a trained mma fighter, And not a kid either, a fit young man at his physical peak

So remember kiddies, if you take Kung Fu for decades and some 25 year old punk with a little MMA training comes your way, curl up into a little ball and just take your beating, because according to Jobo, you got no chance!

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think that there probably are going to be some styles that die out, or have died out. Some of that is because of competition from other styles - MMA or otherwise. Some of that is just that they were never very popular to begin with, had a niche appeal, didn't market themselves well, or had organizational problems that lead to the breakup of the governing body of the organization (perhaps after the death of the founder). These things happen. It's hard to create a thing that lasts.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So remember kiddies, if you take Kung Fu for decades and some 25 year old punk with a little MMA training comes your way, curl up into a little ball and just take your beating, because according to Jobo, you got no chance!
Well no, or maybe, if your old, try not to get in fights with 25 yo with mma training, or 25 yo that play rugby or hockey or, no just avoid 25yo if you can,

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now don't bother replying I'm not going to waste anymore time on an Mma fanboy

Cool. In the meantime check out those articles I posted. I think you'll find them interesting (or depressing).

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well no, or maybe, if your old, try not to get in fights with 25 yo with mma training, or 25 yo that play rugby or hockey or, no just avoid 25yo if you can,
Or just not get into fights full stop. Fighting is stupid at any age. Fighting as a grown adult is even more stupid

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can't find any modern training method that can replace the ancient training method, that ancient training method will never die out.

For example, to train "head lock", besides the ancient "pole/tree hanging", I can't find any modern training method yet.

To develop double arms twisting power, I also can't find any modern gym equipment that's better than the ancient Gon twisting.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So now we're saying that Kung Fu becomes ineffective if you're fighting a younger/more fit person?

Interesting.

I'm not saying anything specific to kung fu. With my experience in Olympic fencing, and I think as a safe rule for any athletic sport, the value of a coach is in their coaching ability, not their competitive performance compared to their students. There's a reason you don't see Olympic gymnastics coaches competing in the Olympics, or World Cup Soccer coaches playing in the World Cup.

I used Freddie Roach because he's a legendary boxing coach who himself has a physical disability that wouldn't let him personally compete in boxing.

Latest Discussions