(Striking) Why do some have timing and others don't?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you happen to have any studies on this? I haven't heard of it, but don't doubt there could be a relationship there. I do know that certain medications also used for adhd can cause dyskinesia, just haven't heard of adhd itself being correlated.
It this the same as 'tardive dyskinesia? I have seen on television that some anti-depressants cause this.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe not but you can look at a person who lacks flexibility and say, “that lack of flexibility impedes that persons ability to fight.
Perhaps this may be true of a TKD guy who relies on high kicks, but not so true of other styles. Ed Parker in the early 70's had little flexibility (to put it politely) and it did not impede his fighting ability at all! His stamina was not what it was either, but he only needed to fight for a few seconds to TCB. I've seen some other Polynesians (Samoans) who couldn't kick above the waist and they were some of the most dangerous fellows I've ever seen.

A wide range of high kicks may be desirable in a tournament setting, but they're something one can do without in a street fight.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not that flexible. It doesn't make me a good representation of my best fighting condition, but I can still bring the pain. Many people are like that. There are alot of people who can't kick higher than their knee who still can knock someone out.
Lot of folks who aren’t strong who can also bring the pain. And folks who are flexible who can kick you in the head and knock you out. Right? Depends on what you train and how.
I really don't even know what 'troll' means in this context, & civil is not in your vernacular most often. You always get a rise out of trying to twist things.
I really don't think you understand what you type sometimes. Are you trying to imply that you never dog on TMA's?

I am most often friendly; blunt, stern, but friendly. I am sorry that you seem to have a problem with this, and with someone calling you out on a comment. Have you forgotten this is an open forum?

Remember, I am not the one trying to escalate this.
Okay. This is just you being blunt, stern but friendly. I’ll keep that in mind. 🤔

regarding TMA, do you think judo is a TMA? I do, and I love it. Huge fan. What about kyokushin karate? I do, also a huge fan. Sumo, too. If you think the T in TMA is what I think is problematic, you just flat out don’t understand my opinion. 😂

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Perhaps this may be true of a TKD guy who relies on high kicks, but not so true of other styles. Ed Parker in the early 70's had little flexibility (to put it politely) and it did not impede his fighting ability at all! His stamina was not what it was either, but he only needed to fight for a few seconds to TCB. I've seen some other Polynesians (Samoans) who couldn't kick above the waist and they were some of the most dangerous fellows I've ever seen.

A wide range of high kicks may be desirable in a tournament setting, but they're something one can do without in a street fight.
You guys. Don’t misunderstand me here. I’m not suggesting you must be flexible to fight well. My comment was in response to someone suggesting that an acrobat has no relevant skills or abilities in a fight. Being flexible, athletic, strong, and generally fit are all great attributes to have, and alone may carry the day (even without “fighting” skill).
Also saying that people who are flexible but not particularly strong may be able to fight, just as people who are strong may not.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Flexibility, hard hands, cardio, strength are important, but are not fighting skills.

They are elements of conditioning that make it easier to obtain fighting skills. A fit person can still lack the ability to fight and defend themselves. Weak people have been known to be able to defend themselves against physical attack.
A skilled person who isn’t fit can be overwhelmed by a fit person who isn’t skilled.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lot of folks who aren’t strong who can also bring the pain. And folks who are flexible who can kick you in the head and knock you out. Right? Depends on what you train and how.

Okay. This is just you being blunt, stern but friendly. I’ll keep that in mind. 🤔

regarding TMA, do you think judo is a TMA? I do, and I love it. Huge fan. What about kyokushin karate? I do, also a huge fan. Sumo, too. If you think the T in TMA is what I think is problematic, you just flat out don’t understand my opinion. 😂
You are correct sir.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have any studies on this? I haven't heard of it, but don't doubt there could be a relationship there. I do know that certain medications also used for adhd can cause dyskinesia, just haven't heard of adhd itself being correlated.
None at hand. Next time I’m doing some research I’ll look.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your premise is fundamentally flawed. Everybody has timing. Some have better timing than others, some worse, but everybody has timing.
What's the difference between a good joke and a bad joke timing

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A fit person who isn't skilled can be overwhelmed by a skilled person who isn't fit.
Well, that's certainly what the sales brochure says at the local "Self Defense Made Easy" ninjutsu school says. It may even be true, sometimes. :)

cane56

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why do you object to phrasing? Why do some have better timing than others. There, happy? Now take a stab at the actual question, if you dare.
It's hard to understand your question? Are you talking MMA? Are you talking sparring? Because you should have no timing! Timing is something that repeats itself. You're unpredictability should be first. If you're referring to timing as someone throwing a right hand, and you're coming over the top, just that can only be practiced with the pads, or and sparing. Overall I don't like timing it causes shoulder rolls and telegraphing. But correct me if I'm wrong, I believe you were asking about counter striking. If that's your question you practice it a thousand times, practice it in your mind before sleep.

cane56

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, that's certainly what the sales brochure says at the local "Self Defense Made Easy" ninjutsu school says. It may even be true, sometimes. :)
There is no every time! Who threw the first punch? Who has been punched before? Who can keep it together with nothing and everything is at risk? Practice to the point there is no thought. Spar to the point you know you can recover. And learn to walk away when there's nothing to win except ego.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is there any common denominator for these individuals?

I will list a couple of suggestions:

Visuo Spatial IQ

Reflexes

Fight IQ

Perceptual superiority
I have been teaching MA in Japan for over 40 years, my squads winning all Japan Taikai twice. You can use all the fancy words you like, but winners are picked from those with natural ability and watched as they come up through the ranks from elementary school. But most of all I am pleased and proud to have raised them with a high degree of martial etiquette and have some humility rather than brag about it on some forum.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
A skilled person who isn’t fit can be overwhelmed by a fit person who isn’t skilled.

Meaningless statement without defining the parameters. Unfit can be anything from bad cardio to morbidly obese and dying.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the skill differential is enough, it's true. Skill offsets other advantages. How much it offsets (how much differential is "enough") is the tricky question.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
If the skill differential is enough, it's true. Skill offsets other advantages. How much it offsets (how much differential is "enough") is the tricky question.

That's not all variables at stake. A skilled person who get's the flight response isn't going to win.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A skilled person who get's the flight response isn't going to win.
Focus, perseverance and fighting spirit certainly are non-physical attributes that play a major role and can sometimes overcome both physical condition and skill advantages. To have all three of these elements almost always equates to victory. Conditioning and skill can easily be developed, the spirit part is harder and often neglected in most people's regular training.

Jeff Webb

White Belt
Reaction score
Lots of great thoughts on here, I'll add my few.

Timing - some people have it from the start but it most certainly can be learned. The people that are blessed with it and learn and add to their natural ability will be your champions.

Timing for a person that is the attacker (to me) is seeing a weakness in what the opponent is doing at the time (maybe they have their feet in a position where they can not react as quickly as normal) and being able to quickly "React" to what they see and land a kick or punch which they initiate as the attacker. I'm a counter puncher by nature but even when I am the aggressor my attack usually comes from when I saw an opening of some sort. Timing and reaction go hand and hand together to me.

Timing from the counter puncher point of view (whether you were 'born with' or 'learned from experience') is the reaction to a punch or kick thrown, the ability to react to this with your own counter. Nothing magical here. I'm a counter puncher by nature.
Quick story, When Steven's Segals "Above The Law' movie came out the opening scene when he is in his dojo caught my eye. I watched those scenes on my VCR, slowmo, pic by pic, to find out what he was doing. All counter strikes, and this became my signature move for years. (Fun Fact)
Timing against another person can absolutely be learned. Many people give away their attack prior to even throwing it with some type of move with their body whether it's a quick short step prior to a kick or some type of hand/arm movement prior to initiating any type of punches etc. You just have to pay attention and know there are things to look for.

Big high flying kicks - love to watch them in tournaments but unless you are wearing your Chuck Norris Action Jeans they probably aren't that useful on the street, unless you walk around in your gi (please don't do this) . Some of you guys remember those jeans :). We used to allow leg whips at my school but too many people were getting hurt so we went back to above the waste (except for sweeps of course)

SIZE - I haven't seen any mention of a person'ssize but it definitely matters.

Age Matters - My skills and tricks still enable me to hold my own with my 20 year old students (I'm 61) for a short while, but someone mentioned Stamina before and they are right, I need to end something quickly or I need to get to the car and drive away.

Latest Discussions