(Striking) Why do some have timing and others don't?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Focus, perseverance and fighting spirit certainly are non-physical attributes that play a major role and can sometimes overcome both physical condition and skill advantages. To have all three of these elements almost always equates to victory. Conditioning and skill can easily be developed, the spirit part is harder and often neglected in most people's regular training.
The will to survive at all cost, I like that....

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A wide range of high kicks may be desirable in a tournament setting, but they're something one can do without in a street fight.
No high kicks in street fights are the norm. A lot of street fights are also between people who are out of shape as well.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
No high kicks in street fights are the norm. A lot of street fights are also between people who are out of shape as well.

I have seen a bunch of street fights with head kicks. Usually extremely savage if they land

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have seen a bunch of street fights with head kicks. Usually extremely savage if they land
But they were skilled at doing that kick right? Or was this a kick that someone fit can do on the first try?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Regarding timing, I highly recommend learning to improvise jazz.

At least, it screws up my squash opponents, because I'm used to making last-second decisions when improvising, and they have no idea what I'll do before I do it.

And in general, music experience can help you pick out regular and irregular rhythms.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
But they were skilled at doing that kick right? Or was this a kick that someone fit can do on the first try?
If you're good at a technique, you can use that technique. If not you probably can't. Doesn't matter if we're talking high kicks, low kicks, throws...
Most street fights don't include [insert technique here] because most people are untrained.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe they were just flexible. :D
Now that's what I call excellent timing lol. If it was a punch I would be KOed. I should have seen it coming but didn't. lol

Good one!

Last edited:
OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah, pretty amateurish a lot of the times.

I don't really like to link crap but since it was brought up.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like he hit him with the foot blade of a round kick....

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looks like he hit him with the foot blade of a round kick....
lol timing was good for red. no so much for white unless he was timing it so that he would catch the kick with his head lol. Definitely not Red's first time doing that kick.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lol timing was good for red. no so much for white unless he was timing it so that he would catch the kick with his head lol. Definitely not Red's first time doing that kick.
Epic face plant!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
But how does your sense of distance have anything to do with reflexes?
I am asking how reflexes have any bearing on getting set and landing a shot. When you counter punch, yes, obviously that's reflexes...
You are referring to proprioceptive capability, or kinesthesia. There are three types of source for it. Spindles in skeletal muscle, mechanoreceptors in joint capsules, and golgi organs in tendons. That thing that lets you find your *** with both hands even though you can’t see it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For anyone interested, this is a pretty good drill for improving timing.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your butt, our behind, your posterior, your toucas
I making a poor joke, but the substance of what I’m telling you is anatomically and physiologically correct. Proprioception, is what allows you to touch your nose with your finger. It degrades with fatigue, alcohol consumption, dehydration, and age. It’s what the field sobriety test is about. Don’t take my word for it. Fact check me.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I making a poor joke, but the substance of what I’m telling you is anatomically and physiologically correct. Proprioception, is what allows you to touch your nose with your finger. It degrades with fatigue, alcohol consumption, dehydration, and age. It’s what the field sobriety test is about. Don’t take my word for it. Fact check me.
To take it a step farther, you can improve it. Training. There are no shortcuts.

Latest Discussions