Stretching for heel kick.

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i thought i was pretty flexible. I can roundhouse kick to the head. Lately I have been trying to roundhouse then a heel kick combo with the same leg. A right roundhouse to the body followed by a right heel kick to the face. When I try this it hurts the side of my butt. What stretches can I do ?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i thought i was pretty flexible. I can roundhouse kick to the head. Lately I have been trying to roundhouse then a heel kick combo with the same leg. A right roundhouse to the body followed by a right heel kick to the face. When I try this it hurts the side of my butt. What stretches can I do ?
One stretch, I learned, in the military, was to just sit there and force the stretch, without touching your foot. Just point your toes toward you, and pull. Then, I would hold on to something, and do that kick, slowly, while forcing that stretch again.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score

First if you are hurt, stop all exercises go and get professional advice and medical attention to the problematic area you might need specific treatment to isolate that area.

Sounds like you have pulled a muscle or poorly warmed up causing injury.

So when you have covered that and happy that its been resolved you can research different types of methods to improve on flexibility, stretching and mobility.

What I would do is build up your leg muscles and supporting regions for kicking like lower back lumbar, glutes and hips etc by focusing on correct approach to kicking ability:-

To condition and improve on your muscle area you need to focus more on these areas:-

1. Stretches - Flexibility conditioning.
  2. Exercises - Mobility conditioning
  3. Light Weights - Strength conditioning
  4. Relation and Recovery - Natural healing conditioning

The light weights (3 sets by 10 reps) builds and improves on muscle fibers providing more strength for your kicking mobility because without strengthening the muscles groups you can pull on the adjoining ligaments causing pain and in serious cases disconnect the tissues altogether very painful.

So advice caution and some research before continuing.

Sometimes change things around just do more free style mobility kicking exercises allowing the muscle to naturally stretched after a good warm up but not prolonged stretching warmups just allowing for blood flow and activating muscles.

Do front kicks and rear kicks at a relaxed height and speed start slow then increase a little and interchange with jumping squats and knee jumps then warm down gently.

Like I said there are lots of good videos nowadays to watch and learn thanks to the internet here is one I found................

Also Google like this............ muscle injury recovery - Google Search

I hope that helps

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
a right heel kick to the face. When I try this it hurts the side of my butt. What stretches can I do ?
For heel kick, you need to stretch when pulling your toes back. There are 4 stages stretching for that.

1. head touch toes.
2. fore head touch toes.
3. mouth touch toes.
4. chin touch toes.

table_stretch.jpg

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Bill Superfoot Wallace has a 3 part stretching series on YouTube that can help with your kicking flexibility.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For heel kick, you need to stretch when pulling your toes back. There are 4 stages stretching for that.

1. head touch toes.
2. fore head touch toes.
3. mouth touch toes.
4. chin touch toes.

table_stretch.jpg
I do something like this, I just don't bring my chin to my knee. I'm going to start.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
a lot of flexibility issues arnt cause by tightness, they are caused by weakness, or imbalance ie one muscle is better developed than another, so you body uses that muscle in preference to the one it should be using, a pain in the but, might well indecate an a weakness in your hamstrings overloading the glute muscles or that one of you three glutes muscles has been under,used until you tried this move

Last edited:

Latest Discussions