Questions

dbljranch

White Belt
Reaction score
What is the difference between a roundhouse kick and a side thrust kick? I was thinking the difference is that a roundhouse kick hits from the shin and a side thrust kick uses the heel??

Also, how many techniques are against right punch? I was thinking that it is only the Attacking Mace technique?

Is this correct?

Thnks,
dbljranch

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One basic difference between the two kicks ... Side thrust is a linear kick; Roundhouse is a circular kick. A second basic difference would be the angle of attack. There are so many other differences ... it would seem to be a lot easier and a shorter list to ask what are the similarities, if any?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mod Note

Thread moved to General Martial Arts. It should generate more replies here.

Mike Slosek
MT Supermod

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I first started I had the same exact question concerning a sidekick vs. a roundhouse kick.
What was confusing me, was that in our art/system, the base leg/base foot pivot the same exact way.

The instructors were talking linear vs. circular, and they could still tell I wasn't "getting" the difference and ultimately showed me the difference this way:

We stood face to face in front of each other (with proper distance) and they told me to pivot and kick them, with the sole/bottom of my foot, right in the "family jewels". This was an example of a sidekick.

We stood face to face in front of each other (with proper distance) and they told me to pivot and kick them in the kidneys (side of their body), with the part of my foot where the shoe laces would be. This was an example of a roundhouse kick.

It finally clicked, but I honestly didn't understand until I knew the target I was kicking and with what part of my foot.

This is how it was explained in Hosinsul, depending on your art/system, you may have some differences.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first started I had the same exact question concerning a sidekick vs. a roundhouse kick.
What was confusing me, was that in our art/system, the base leg/base foot pivot the same exact way.

The instructors were talking linear vs. circular, and they could still tell I wasn't "getting" the difference and ultimately showed me the difference this way:

We stood face to face in front of each other (with proper distance) and they told me to pivot and kick them, with the sole/bottom of my foot, right in the "family jewels". This was an example of a sidekick.

We stood face to face in front of each other (with proper distance) and they told me to pivot and kick them in the kidneys (side of their body), with the part of my foot where the shoe laces would be. This was an example of a roundhouse kick.

It finally clicked, but I honestly didn't understand until I knew the target I was kicking and with what part of my foot.

This is how it was explained in Hosinsul, depending on your art/system, you may have some differences.
While they're both thrown with the leg, and in some systems, both have a similar foot pivot... that's about the end of the similarity!

As has been pointed out, the roundhouse/round/thai kick comes in on a circular arc from the side of the target. Targets are typically "side" targets like thighs, ribs, or the side of the head. Generally, the kicker is facing mostly forward throughout the kick.

Side kicks move in a straight line, towards "core" targets like the stomach, solar plexus, or face. The kicker is usually turned sideways before they throw the kick, and is looking at the target along or over their shoulder.

Back kicks are often much closer to side kicks than roundhouse-type kicks... So close that I've seen quite a few people claim to do one, when they're actually doing the other...

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the difference between a roundhouse kick and a side thrust kick?

This is such a basic question that it is typically answered in the first few lessons on kicking. If your instructor teaches kicks, is knowledgeable about kicking, and feels you are ready to learn the answer to this question, it would seem logical that the classroom is the appropriate place to get the answer, and your instructor is the appropriate person to ask.

I leave this to your teacher to explain it to you. I, for one, certainly do not come here to give internet classes on basic material that should be received personally from your instructor! If your instructor is in the process of teaching you a roundhouse kick, and a side kick, he/she should be able to explain to you the differences between the two.

Sorry, that's just my perspective on this kind of question! :mst:

CM D.J. Eisenhart

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is such a basic question that it is typically answered in the first few lessons on kicking. If your instructor teaches kicks, is knowledgeable about kicking, and feels you are ready to learn the answer to this question, it would seem logical that the classroom is the appropriate place to get the answer, and your instructor is the appropriate person to ask.

I leave this to your teacher to explain it to you. I, for one, certainly do not come here to give internet classes on basic material that should be received personally from your instructor! If your instructor is in the process of teaching you a roundhouse kick, and a side kick, he/she should be able to explain to you the differences between the two.

Sorry, that's just my perspective on this kind of question! :mst:

CM D.J. Eisenhart

I would have to agree with you on this one.

OP
D

dbljranch

White Belt
Reaction score

Thanks. That does help alot. I am hoping that this will get easier. When I am in class and our Professor tells us to do a paricular move, I seem to freeze and can't remember. Maybe it is still the intimidation factor. Anyway, I am sticking with it at least for now. Seems to be normal to have questions......

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks. That does help alot. I am hoping that this will get easier. When I am in class and our Professor tells us to do a paricular move, I seem to freeze and can't remember. Maybe it is still the intimidation factor. Anyway, I am sticking with it at least for now. Seems to be normal to have questions......

The whole idea is to train the technique until it is something you do without thinking.

When you brush your teeth, you don't think "move brush left, move brush right..." do you? Nah. But watch a five-year old brush their teeth :)

If you are still "thinking" about the "move" and freezing, it just indicates to me you haven't got your first 1,000 reps in.

I was taught, it takes 1,000 reps to get the basic idea of a technique and 10,000 to really "get it down."

So check with your instructor to make sure your form is correct and then get busy getting those reps in! :)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You mention , What is the difference between a round house kick and side trust kick?

Simple : you use the words round (kick is coming around you)...side trust, (kick is from the side and trust out from the side).

When doing both kicks, I agree you have to pivot your heels toward your tarket (planted foot). Your hips are involved alot here too!

Roundhouse kick the knees are raise on an angle (almost 90 degrees). In a side trust kick the knees are raise in front of you, than throw out sideways. Many techniques may look the same in the beginning...but as time goes on you can see and feel the difference.........Aloha

PS: Alot of people like throwing the round house first and than turn it into a side kick, (sometimes replanting foot first..other times recork and fire it out!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a side trust kick the knees are raise in front of you, than throw out sideways.

We do side thrust kick with the ankle and knee both at the same height, so heel is already pointing at the target, with knee pulled back until it is touching chest.

From what I understand, this is a more "Korean style" sidekick while the knee up in front/ankle low chamber is more japanese style.

YMMV.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am hoping that this will get easier.
It will, I promise! What zDom said about the repetitions is worth paying attention to. The more that you practice, the better you'll get. Just try to focus on form, and worry about speed and power later. Get the form down. Obviously, the only way to do this is to pay attention to your instructor, and do your best to mimic his/her form.

When I am in class and our Professor tells us to do a paricular move, I seem to freeze and can't remember. Maybe it is still the intimidation factor.
I'm sorry that you're feeling intimidated, because you shouldn't. It really isn't necessary. Most teachers teach because they enjoy sharing their knowledge. You're making your teacher happy just by being there, being receptive, paying attention, and making your best effort. Don't worry about anything else, you're there to learn, and you deserve the opportunity to do so.

Anyway, I am sticking with it at least for now. Seems to be normal to have questions......
Totally normal, don't sweat it! And please do stick with it. There is something that attracted you to learning in the first place. Trust your intuition, go with it, and see where it leads you. You'll be rewarded in the long run. :asian:

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I, for one, certainly do not come here to give internet classes on basic material that should be received personally from your instructor!
Then don't. I'm here to help whomever I can with whatever I can. I enjoy sharing. What you choose to share freely is your prerogative. I don't think, though, that we're going to turn anyone into a keyboard warrior (assuming that was your concern) defining the difference between a side kick and a round kick. I hope you don't think less of folks because they have chosen to answer the poster's question.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope you don't think less of folks because they have chosen to answer the poster's question.

No, I don't! :)

I also don't think less of dbljranch for asking the question. Questions are good, and when you don't know the answer, you should ask - - just don't be too surprised at the answer if it was not what you were looking for.

It was difficult for me to reply without giving in to the temptation of providing what dbljranch was asking rather than what I felt, as an instructor, should be addressed.

While questions will arise during training, and I enjoy sharing here as much as the next person, I feel we must also help to guide newer students to becoming better students. If a student of Taekwondo comes here and says "I just started TKD and my instructor is teaching me Kicho form, but stopped at movement #8 for the first class. What comes after that?" I could simply answer the question, but my reply will be, "wait until your teacher shows you the next move." As I say, other MT members will do as the please, but I am not here to conduct a class, and take over the roll of their instructor. By expressing my viewpoint on this, I would hope that those who are tempted to answer, will consider other options.

What if brand new students come here and ask, "what is the difference between a punch and a Knife-hand strike?" I believe the difference is clear and simple to understand, once an instructor has taught it to you. If your instructor has not shown you those techniques, then don't worry about it yet. I can not imagine a qualified instructor not being able to explain the difference between a punch and a knife strike, or a front kick and a round kick, even if a student is still confused after seeing them both.

My main point is not "don't ask questions," nor am I suggesting not to ask them here if you are confused about something your instructor has been trying to explain to you. I'm simply trying to encourage a newer student to seek out the answers from their own instructor first. Since this is such a simple question for any instructor to answer, I find it odd that this was not resolved in class when the techniques were taught. Even so, I am certain that the instructor would be more than happy, and more than capable of answering this question if asked by dbljranch. So, if dbljranch is nervous or intimidated, and reluctant to ask the instructor, or another senior at the school, I am going to take the stance to encourage communication rather than simply answer a basic classroom question.

No offense intended to dbljranch, or anyone else here! :ultracool

As you were - - carry on!

CM D.J. Eisenhart

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good points, Mr. Eisenhart.

What you DON'T want to do (especially as a new student) is show up to class and say, "Well, my online MT friends said do it like THIS ... " ;)

Latest Discussions