I Might Have To Sit Out This Time Around

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a tournament in my area in October which I would very much like to attend. This tournament wasn't held last year, but the three previous years I competed and took first in point fighting. Most of the competitors will be martial artists and friends I know and have competed against. It's a ton of fun. However, in July, right as I was increasing my training and focusing on building up speed and cardio, I had a spell of bad luck and spent a week in the hospital due to bleeding ulcers. Laying in bed for a week is horrid, but so is being told to avoid strenuous exercise. With the other digestive issues I have as a result, my running every morning ended. I take it easier during class time. The fainting spells are past (quite embarrassing), but I still can't handle much strenuous work. So I'm considering entering a tournament in which I would not do that great, or just sitting out this year. Figured it was my year to flop, but I didn't expect this.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a tournament in my area in October which I would very much like to attend. This tournament wasn't held last year, but the three previous years I competed and took first in point fighting. Most of the competitors will be martial artists and friends I know and have competed against. It's a ton of fun. However, in July, right as I was increasing my training and focusing on building up speed and cardio, I had a spell of bad luck and spent a week in the hospital due to bleeding ulcers. Laying in bed for a week is horrid, but so is being told to avoid strenuous exercise. With the other digestive issues I have as a result, my running every morning ended. I take it easier during class time. The fainting spells are past (quite embarrassing), but I still can't handle much strenuous work. So I'm considering entering a tournament in which I would not do that great, or just sitting out this year. Figured it was my year to flop, but I didn't expect this.
well you have to put your health first!!!
if it's a lot of fun, go and take part, if it's a lot of fun because you win, then don't, because you probably wont

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm 27 tomorrow. I thought this only happens after 35. DRATS! I need to figure out a way to stay on top as I get older.
Also, end of October I have a Krav Maga black belt test to navigate.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry you're having medical issues. I would suggest that your first priority should be your complete recovery. I know too many athletes and martial artists who come back too soon, re-injure themselves, and end up spending more time on the sidelines than they would have if they had just done what their doctors told them to begin with.

However, I would also suggest that the period of time you cannot do anything strenuous can be put to good use by working on forms/kata and kihon. A great time to work on breathing, balance, stances, and the like; all can be done in slow motion, with deep concentration and light power.

In my opinion, part of martial arts training is learning how to most efficiently employ your time given the conditions that you find yourself in. When life gives you lemons, practice smashing them with your iron palm technique. ;)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
is there someone else you can coach and help along?
you could help someone else and that could be a big eye opener for you and when you feel better you will have a better sparring partner.

Good one. I catch more of my own errors when I teach someone else. Especially when I catch them doing something goofy and they tell me they learned it from me.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm 27 tomorrow. I thought this only happens after 35. DRATS! I need to figure out a way to stay on top as I get older.
Also, end of October I have a Krav Maga black belt test to navigate.

You do not stay on top as you get older. What you do is learn to recognize that you never were on top, that the top is an unattainable goal, even though you should aim for it. You also learn alternate ways to climb. You become more efficient in your movement. You learn to discipline your energy output. You learn to end conflicts without violence even if violence is the apparently easiest path. You learn to fight ferociously if you have to fight, and then go home.

At 56, I realize that I'm not old yet. But I am not healing as fast as I was, not as fast as I was, not as flexible as I was. But I'm still a dangerous individual if I have to be. And I keep adding tools to the toolbox, I'm not done learning by a long shot.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
However, I would also suggest that the period of time you cannot do anything strenuous can be put to good use by working on forms/kata and kihon. A great time to work on breathing, balance, stances, and the like; all can be done in slow motion, with deep concentration and light power.
;)
But I don't like that part of training. Honestly though, I've gotten alot better at it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lately I've been spending more time at home. We had our first baby on Labor Day.
The best reason ever to stay home more. My two girls (4 and 6) are the loves of my life.

Edit: My wife is also the love of my life, just in a different way (just in case she reads this :) ).