stepping forward in forms

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
GM Kim demonstrates with a straight step. I use a 'c' step. He said that my forms look great and has not corrected me. Where I trained before, I was taught the 'c' step, so it carried over. He must be okay with it because he asks me to participate in demonstrations.

As for the technicality of it, I think much of that has been elaborated upon already. I maintain a shoulder width distance from side to side between my feet. My shoulders are fairly broad. C stepping works much better for me.

Daniel

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Weiss
Like how many know why they rotate their fist as they punch?

When is the issue. LOL
Sean
__________________<<

If you know why, then you know when.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has the time/resources to do the research, but I think several of the original Kwans had C stepping while other may not have.

Seems that somewhere along the line the idea of doing things different than Japanese/Okinawan karates in an attempt to distance TKD from its roots mandated straight stepping for TKD.

That's the wonderful thing about retiring from TKD: I can continue to do things like I was taught.

So I circle step or straight step as I see fit for the situation. Actually, it doesn't even enter my thought process any more.

I use deep stances and high stances as I see fit for the situation. Actually, it doesn't even enter my thought process any more.

And isn't that, ultimately, the goal of training? No-mind execution of effective technique.

How you decide to get your students to that point is up to you &#8212; or your KKW mandated curriculum ;)

I know the way I was taught works for ME &#8212; so if I ever teach TKD again, I'll teach as I was taught &#8212; whether it is the TKD Of The Moment or not.

Solid martial arts is solid martial arts.

/end personal opinion rant :)

Latest Discussions