Stay In School, Get A Car

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43116590/ns/us_news-wonderful_world/

FORT WORTH, Texas — Northwest ISD is motivating students to stay in school with an annual car giveaway.
A lucky North Texas high school student won the keys to a 2011 Chevy Camaro for making good grades and showing up to class.
The prize left Kenzie Deaton speechless.
"It's just coming out as crying and happiness," Deaton said. "I thought I was stuck with my mom's car."

"Secondary students are notorious, sometimes, for becoming lax in their grades and attendance. This is a motivation tool for them to work on their grades," said Byron Nelson High School Principal Linda Parker

Thoughts?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, if it works then it's worth a try.

For me, all I ever needed was the sniff of a chance of climbing out of poverty but it's a radically different world than it was thirty years ago.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Myself, I'm split on this. On one hand, I do see the importance of some sort of motivation. Obviously a car is on the high end of the motivation, but if your parents said they'd give you $20 for every A that you got, well, any kid with the slightest bit of common sense, is gonna jump on that. Hell, I would. LOL.

On the other hand, this is bribing your kid to do well. Its like a mom, whos young child is screaming in the store, totally out of control, and she says, "Joey, if you stop screaming, I'll buy you 5 candy bars." I think that by always doing that, the kid is never going to learn that when you're in a store, you should behave and not scream. I know this probably isn't the most popular thing that some kids want to hear, but you'd think that simply doing well is school, so you can get a HS diploma and possibly get a half way decent job, should be motivation enough. Of course thats not always the case, just sayin. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was a kid, besides walking to school, barefoot in the snow uphill both ways, I was never given the option to fail. Staying home sick meant no TV or fun; I had to lay in that bed the entire day and evening with no breaks, no matter how old I was. I thought my parents were evil at best, but by making school a place more pleasant than home, they somehow, almost without effort, got me through it, and instead of a car on graduation, I got to join the Army or live on the street. School and the Army, for me, were the path of least resistance.:)
Sean

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, you are rewarding good behavior, not bad, like the screaming kid in the store (who needs his tail blistered.)

I need a new car, too, where can I enroll?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So now schools boards/districts are bribing kids to go to school, get good marks and make something of themselves.
How about, if you don’t get up off your *** and do some school work, you will suffer the consequences of **** jobs and no future for the next 50 years?
Personally the money spent on that car, $20K+ would buy many new computers, smart boards and text books for the kids who are doing the work, because it’s a good for their lives.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He's 14. I think giving a 14 year old a Camaro is damn stupid. But that's just me. :lol:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, if it works then it's worth a try.

For me, all I ever needed was the sniff of a chance of climbing out of poverty but it's a radically different world than it was thirty years ago.
How dare you suggest people pull themselves up by their bootstraps, what are you, some kind of racist?
[/liberal poster on this site]

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How dare you suggest people pull themselves up by their bootstraps, what are you, some kind of racist?
[/liberal poster on this site]

"They see me rollin' .. they hatin' ..." :rofl:

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I remember when I graduated, our high school held a Project Graduation on grad night. Invited us all to basically stay at the school the whole night rather than go out partying and drinking and crashing into each other behind the wheel. There was fun and games, it was memorable, and there was a raffle for a fully-paid car. The trick was, though, that the raffle was reserved until 6 A.M., so anyone who left early to go partying was out of the draw.

I can see MJS's concern, but really, this isn't a car given away individually to straighten kids out, it's a reward for good performance over a long period of time. If it achieves the desired result, I see no harm.

Latest Discussions