Shame

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering the local history, I can understand.
80 years is nothing in the context of hundreds of years.
So I guess Korean people do not automatically learn Japanese because of proximity then. Although pop artists all seem to have the version for the Japanese market somewhere.
From living in Korea, I can tell you that anything Japanese is still heavily frowned upon. Some of the younger generation are starting to let that go somewhat.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be stupid or slow, but I failed to get your point, if it was a joke or wether my spellchecking is off chart? 🤔
I was joking! The technical computer stuff felt like a foreign language to me!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
From living in Korea, I can tell you that anything Japanese is still heavily frowned upon. Some of the younger generation are starting to let that go somewhat.
yeah, I was looking at some K-Pop stars having Japanese versions out. I guess that is business.
Plus K-Pop is on par these days with J-Pop.
And a lot of animation studios are in Korea now.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, I was looking at some K-Pop stars having Japanese versions out. I guess that is business.
Plus K-Pop is on par these days with J-Pop.
And a lot of animation studios are in Korea now.
Funny how money does that! 😂

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a lot of tourists out here. I can’t remember a Chinese tourist getting out of hand or being rude. And I’ve worked plenty of twelve hour shifts at the TSA checkpoint.

I remember quite a few Americans getting out of hand though.
My first assumption was that Americans were among the bad actors. Even at nice places, they often have to cordon off areas, because Americans won't keep their hands off nice stuff - they touch and touch and pull and pick, eventually damaging it pretty badly.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tipping behaviour has such a wide spectrum of practises ranging from ‘if they’ve just done their job, then why tip them?’ to ‘be very generous because their dastardly employers deliberately pay then very low wages’.
I've been to places where tipping too high is considered insulting; it implies they aren't paid well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May I ask why Americans feel the need to speak in loud voices? Is it something you’re taught to do at school? Thinking about it, I think it’s actually the midrange, nasal quality that makes your voices appear loud, rather like the Northern Irish 🤔
Partly, I think it's just more "normal" here. A voice that seems loud to us in most places would be absolutely obnoxious in many cultures. I'm not clear why it became so normal here.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stereotypes are oversimplified images but they have some basis in reality.
I once got fired by a training client for pointing that out during a serious discussion of how stereotypes are damaging. They weren't even listening to the content - just got focused on that comment.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first assumption was that Americans were among the bad actors. Even at nice places, they often have to cordon off areas, because Americans won't keep their hands off nice stuff - they touch and touch and pull and pick, eventually damaging it pretty badly.
I was hanging out in Kazakhstan, when some of my younger soldiers asked if they could check out some local shops to buy souvenirs. I decided to go with to ensure they didn’t get into too much trouble. We went in a store and one guy saw an old Soviet flask with CCCP on it. Soldier didn’t know what it was since he was too young to remember the Cold War. When the shop owner explained what it meant, he went into an angry tirade against communism and all the countries that supported it. Needless to say, I got him out of there quick and we had a discussion about courtesy, especially in a country that was giving us assistance. 😂

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My view today is that apple today isn't for tech geeks, its more a faishon accessoire, and I am neither into fashion nor feeding dragons.
It's a full ecosystem, which makes it easier for places where they don't need (or want) the technical (geeky) capabilities of Linux or Windows, and want their hardware to be supported for a long time (my 2.5 year old PC can't update to Win 11). All the PCs at work are Mac, and the industry software they use is on Mac, iPhone, and/or iPad. It's convenient for them.

I still prefer Windows, and use Linux a bit on the side. Unless I end up in a job where I need to use Windows on my own PCs, I'll probably convert my laptop to Linux, so I can tinker more. The programming I do is mostly in Python, so I can do that on pretty much any platform.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
considering the local history, I can understand.
80 years is nothing in the context of hundreds of years.
So I guess Korean people do not automatically learn Japanese because of proximity then. Although pop artists all seem to have the version for the Japanese market somewhere.
Yes. Japanese young just love K Pop and male actors. Maybe things will change? I don't hear much from the Japanese side. Koreans and Chinese still seem to be hooked on "What the Japanese did to us".

Foreign language is rock bottom in Japan. I have even heard a comment to a student saying, "Why are you learning English? YOU are Japanese. It's still very insular. Which is why Korea and China have made such an international success.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean Americans literally would like to handle, say, historical artefacts on display in a stately home, where few things are in glass cases?

I remember walking around Windsor Castle and was looking closely at the brush strokes on an enormous painting 20ft x20ft at least. I noticed a steward was watching me closely so to reassure him of no ill intent, I said how amazingly controlled the strokes were sd the colours blended almost as in sfumato. He smiled and said, “Yes it’s a Rubens and worth millions!” I suggested it was unlikely anyone could put it under their arm and run off with it!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean Americans literally would like to handle, say, historical artefacts on display in a stately home, where few things are in glass cases?

I remember walking around Windsor Castle and was looking closely at the brush strokes on an enormous painting 20ft x20ft at least. I noticed a steward was watching me closely so to reassure him of no ill intent, I said how amazingly controlled the strokes were sd the colours blended almost as in sfumato. He smiled and said, “Yes it’s a Rubens and worth millions!” I suggested it was unlikely anyone could put it under their arm and run off with it!
Near me is the Biltmore Esate - a historic house. Old by US standards (barely broken in by British standards). 176,000 square feet (something like 3 nautical kilotons in metric), created by George Vanderbilt. I first took a tour there when I was about 10. Since then, they've added plexiglas "no touchie!" barriers to protect curtains, walls, books, and other things we used to be able to walk near, because too many people were touching them, and the repairs are expensive (wallpaper has to be custom made in France to match what was there).

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Near me is the Biltmore Esate - a historic house. Old by US standards (barely broken in by British standards). 176,000 square feet (something like 3 nautical kilotons in metric), created by George Vanderbilt. I first took a tour there when I was about 10. Since then, they've added plexiglas "no touchie!" barriers to protect curtains, walls, books, and other things we used to be able to walk near, because too many people were touching them, and the repairs are expensive (wallpaper has to be custom made in France to match what was there).
It would’ve been much cheaper if the just had staff, standing around, slapping their hands away and saying, “You look with your eyes and not your hands!”

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tourists to Japan are increasingly causing problems by flaunting rules and laws, being disrespectful to the places they visit, often places regarded as being sacred. Desperate measures are being taken in some places.
I wonder who these people are, citizens of which countries are the worst culprits and should the tourist board deal with them?
Honestly, I wish that were the worst problems we had where I live.

I have zero issue with a citizen or government being proactive in keeping their life 'normal' as they know it.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Koreans and Chinese still seem to be hooked on "What the Japanese did to us".
It was a significant emotional event for Korea. Now it’s more like our WWII vets getting angry when a kid or grandchildren buy a Japanese car. The younger generation has started to let it go.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a significant emotional event for Korea. Now it’s more like our WWII vets getting angry when a kid or grandchildren buy a Japanese car.
Do they?😳

I was giving a lecture once about the three sources, durations and ‘levels’ of energy for powering muscles: CrP-10-15sec, anaerobic 30-40sec aerobic…you get the idea. I had little photos next to the text as examples of the activity that might utilise each source of energy as an aide memoir for the students. Next to CrP+ADP—> ATP+Cr, I had a photo of a Japanese swordsman cutting through a rolled straw mat (tameshigiri). All of a sudden a Chinese student stood up and started shouting incoherently. I didn’t know what was going on but I pinpointed her in the audience, approached her and asked her if there was a problem. She shouted in mixed English and Mandarin that her grandparents were at the Nanjing Massacre and she was protesting about me using the picture of a Japanese swordsman. A 19 year old girl in 2016 having been indoctrinated by her parents!

She was psychotic as it turned out over the subsequent years, her wealthy parents getting her through dental school and even buying her a practise in London on graduation.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Mix up a J-pop star with a K-pop star in the wrong group and you’re done for.

Latest Discussions