Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Starting my own self defense school in NC. Trained martial artists and untrained peeps are welcome to join. With years of self defense training, here’s what i have to offer.

Diversity - What makes my lessons unique? There’s no “set” system of self defense training. Instead, i invite a diverse ranges of ideas and skills to help people defend themselves. I give the tools and training needed to figure out the most effective means of self defense. I teach people how to develop their own personal system of self defense. I’m constantly updating the curriculum to keep it fresh and exciting.

Non-traditional
- I'm not a typical instructor. I don't just lecture people and hand things out. I'm more of a facilitator. Everyone is allowed to exchange knowledge.We learn from each other.

Unarmed combat - I developed my own unique system. It’s blend of techniques from Wing Chun, boxing, Krav Maga, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Kajukenbo, Jeet Kune Do, and so on. It's simple, efficient, and practical. I give you the fundamental skills in striking, kicking, trapping, and grappling. I teach you how to deal with unarmed attackers, armed attackers, multiple attackers, and so on.

Armed combat - I can teach you self defense with knives and melee weapons. I can also teach you simple and efficient weapon disarms.

Non-combative skills - I teach you essential self defense skills such as situational awareness, situational assessment, verbal self defense, verbal de-escalation, and so on!

If you have any more questions or comments, feel free to message me.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hope you much success. My concept for my (eventually) self defence club is exactly like this (exception only for armed combat). So I will be pleased if you prove my concept right. :cool:

I think the Diversity is the most special point, and perhaps the most complex. Beginners often don’t have a clue, even if it seems evident/simple; not beginners often don’t want to test their stuff in an environment (‘rules’) they are not used to. But I want to be wrong in it.

Anyway, I would do this way welcoming everyone to contribute with their skill, and I (if no one better) just as a moderator/organiser. At least, I would not be selling sh*t to someone better than me. That one would lead the class on his speciality. And our club would be the top on practical skill, each one with his own ‘style’. :)

Last edited:

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"I've trained in JKD, Wing Chun, boxing, weapon disarms, BJJ, and various skills for 8 years. I've sparred to make sure my methods work." Do you have black belt/black sash/instructor qualifications in any of these arts?

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"I've trained in JKD, Wing Chun, boxing, weapon disarms, BJJ, and various skills for 8 years. I've sparred to make sure my methods work." Do you have black belt/black sash/instructor qualifications in any of these arts?

No, belts and sashes are only good for holding up your pants lol.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, belts and sashes are only good for holding up your pants lol.
I guess the real question is, have your instructors in any of these systems authorized you to teach?

And my question then is: with this diversity of systems, have you built your method upon any particular foundation or methodology? There is a danger of creating a hodge-podge Frankenstein’s Monster of a method if there is nothing tying it together in a functional way.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is not the system it is the individual.

So anything he sets up is as valid as anything else.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting my own self defense school in NC. Trained martial artists and untrained peeps are welcome to join. With years of self defense training, here’s what i have to offer.

Diversity - What makes my lessons unique? There’s no “set” system of self defense training. Instead, i invite a diverse ranges of ideas and skills to help people defend themselves. I give the tools and training needed to figure out the most effective means of self defense. I teach people how to develop their own personal system of self defense. I’m constantly updating the curriculum to keep it fresh and exciting.

Non-traditional
- I'm not a typical instructor. I don't just lecture people and hand things out. I'm more of a facilitator. Everyone is allowed to exchange knowledge.We learn from each other.

Unarmed combat - I developed my own unique system. It’s blend of techniques from Wing Chun, boxing, Krav Maga, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Kajukenbo, Jeet Kune Do, and so on. It's simple, efficient, and practical. I give you the fundamental skills in striking, kicking, trapping, and grappling. I teach you how to deal with unarmed attackers, armed attackers, multiple attackers, and so on.

Armed combat - I can teach you self defense with knives and melee weapons. I can also teach you simple and efficient weapon disarms.

Non-combative skills - I teach you essential self defense skills such as situational awareness, situational assessment, verbal self defense, verbal de-escalation, and so on!

If you have any more questions or comments, feel free to message me.
Where in NC are you?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is not the system it is the individual.

So anything he sets up is as valid as anything else.
Perhaps.
When he signed up two years ago, this is the kind of question his was asking about the only art that at the time he said he trained in What are the different stances in Wing Chun?
The "trained for 8 years" doesn't give a breakdown of how long he has trained in any of those arts, but implies8 years of training in Wing Chun and BJJ, amongst others. If he had been training 6 years of BJJ, when he joined, it might be something to mention.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. They are not necessary to effective training. More importantly, do you have the understanding to draw effectively from so many different sources?

You have belts in your system, yes? I'm sure I remember you talking about them.

Do you give exactly the same training to a 2 month white belt as you do to an 8 year black belt?

If you do, why bother with belts - and if you don't then that must mean you use them as an indication of skill level and hence to determine what you can expect from them.

Or do I have the premise wrong?

I'm only asking because the person you just said you agree with is the one who stated that strikes are completely excluded from TKD and judo because they're illegal, and that it's possible (assumedly with his training) to defend against a drive by shooting...

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I guess the real question is, have your instructors in any of these systems authorized you to teach?

And my question then is: with this diversity of systems, have you built your method upon any particular foundation or methodology? There is a danger of creating a hodge-podge Frankenstein’s Monster of a method if there is nothing tying it together in a functional way.

I don't teach complete styles. I just teach techniques.

Yes, i built my art on a method. Here's what it entails.

Simplicity and efficiency
-There's no flashy techniques. It's simple, efficient, and practical.

Maximum damage and speed, minimum effort - You target the vulnerable areas of the body such as the groin, eyes, solar plexus, etc. You put enough power and speed to incapacitate your opponent. The best way to end a threat is before or during an attack by attacking and defending at once. One or two hits should be enough to quickly end an attacker.

Armed combat - Same thing with melee weapons. It's a blend of Sword-fighting techniques with a few strategies from other arts like Filipino martial arts.

That's the gist of it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have belts in your system, yes? I'm sure I remember you talking about them.

Do you give exactly the same training to a 2 month white belt as you do to an 8 year black belt?

If you do, why bother with belts - and if you don't then that must mean you use them as an indication of skill level and hence to determine what you can expect from them.

Or do I have the premise wrong?

I'm only asking because the person you just said you agree with is the one who stated that strikes are completely excluded from TKD and judo because they're illegal, and that it's possible (assumedly with his training) to defend against a drive by shooting...
Yeah, I use belt ranks. My point to him was that I could do the same thing without the belts, and even without the ranks. I prefer using ranks and belts for the same reason I prefer using a gi - it's what I'm used to. There's some utility, though most of it is lost in a program as small as mine that's not part of an association.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live like 4 hours away from you lol. Are you good with online training?
I use online material frequently. Once you understand principles, it's not that tough to pick up new techniques and approaches from video. I can learn a Judo throw from video, but not a TKD turning kick (not enough foundation for the latter). If you're 4 hours away, you're near Greensboro or even out near Raleigh?

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I use online material frequently. Once you understand principles, it's not that tough to pick up new techniques and approaches from video. I can learn a Judo throw from video, but not a TKD turning kick (not enough foundation for the latter). If you're 4 hours away, you're near Greensboro or even out near Raleigh?

Yea around that area. I can give you a free lesson if you're interested.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't teach complete styles. I just teach techniques.

Yes, i built my art on a method. Here's what it entails.

Simplicity and efficiency
-There's no flashy techniques. It's simple, efficient, and practical.

Maximum damage and speed, minimum effort - You target the vulnerable areas of the body such as the groin, eyes, solar plexus, etc. You put enough power and speed to incapacitate your opponent. The best way to end a threat is before or during an attack by attacking and defending at once. One or two hits should be enough to quickly end an attacker.

Armed combat - Same thing with melee weapons. It's a blend of Sword-fighting techniques with a few strategies from other arts like Filipino martial arts.

That's the gist of it.
Once again: have any of your teachers granted you authority to be a teacher?

And as to the rest, it’s all a vague non-answer. Do you understand the question?

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Once again: have any of your teachers granted you authority to be a teacher?

And as to the rest, it’s all a vague non-answer. Do you understand the question?

lol i don't care about their authorities. I'm not really teaching their systems.

Latest Discussions