Green Belt
Reaction score
what is a good starter gun for someone who is looking to buy one

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an impossible question to answer, really. For one thing, we don't know what experience (if any) you have at shooting, nor do we know your budget, nor how big you are, your hand size, etc.
Best suggestion:
Find a place where you can rent a bunch of guns of different types, and shoot them. A lot. Then decide.

OP
sgraves

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's an impossible question to answer, really. For one thing, we don't know what experience (if any) you have at shooting, nor do we know your budget, nor how big you are, your hand size, etc.
Best suggestion:
Find a place where you can rent a bunch of guns of different types, and shoot them. A lot. Then decide.
I have experience firing a weapon but I also don't want to go out a buy some in practical weapon that just looks good

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think you're not ready to own a firearm yet. I mean no offense in saying that. Honest.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just messing with ya to get your attention. :)
You're on an internet forum with unknown crazy people. You need to utilize your resources where you are, and be picky about those resources. Guns are everywhere, and just about everyone who has one becomes an opinionated expert ready to preach and pontificate. Kinda like the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch -

Go use your resources, you probably have more than you realize. Take a safety course if you haven't already. Find someone you know that belongs to a gun club and have them sponsor you. Ask any police officers or military guys that you and your family know for some advice about what you should and shouldn't do. Good luck, bro.

And don't shoot your eye out.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what is a good starter gun for someone who is looking to buy one

For what purpose? Many guns have inherent advantages and disadvantages.

Some common features: Concealable. Light recoil. Stopping power (against a human). Ease of use. Resistance to the elements. Cost. Accuracy (at various distances). Durability. Availability of ammunition. And even... how attractive the weapon is to some eyes.

I could recommend any number of firearms for a 'beginner', but any recommendations might be completely invalid depending on you and your needs.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Guns don't come with training wheels.

Soviet-Guryunov-SG43-Machine-Gun.jpg

:)

OP
sgraves

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
For what purpose? Many guns have inherent advantages and disadvantages.

Some common features: Concealable. Light recoil. Stopping power (against a human). Ease of use. Resistance to the elements. Cost. Accuracy (at various distances). Durability. Availability of ammunition. And even... how attractive the weapon is to some eyes.

I could recommend any number of firearms for a 'beginner', but any recommendations might be completely invalid depending on you and your needs.
it wouldn't be for sport purposes it would be for protection

OP
sgraves

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just messing with ya to get your attention. :)
You're on an internet forum with unknown crazy people. You need to utilize your resources where you are, and be picky about those resources. Guns are everywhere, and just about everyone who has one becomes an opinionated expert ready to preach and pontificate. Kinda like the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch -

Go use your resources, you probably have more than you realize. Take a safety course if you haven't already. Find someone you know that belongs to a gun club and have them sponsor you. Ask any police officers or military guys that you and your family know for some advice about what you should and shouldn't do. Good luck, bro.

And don't shoot your eye out.
I like crazy people they have a tendency of being more fun and honest lol and I think most of the people on here are my seniors in the arts so I get a lot opinions and weigh my options ive already done what you suggested tbh lol

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd like to ask for further clarification. Personal protection is a valid reason but it opens up questions; Is this strictly for home defense? Is it for concealed (or open) carry? I don't know where you live so I can't speak as to whether you can carry concealed or openly.

What exactly is your level of experience? What firearms have you fired before?

What price range are you looking to stay within?

How often do you plan on training with this firearm?

Will you be the only one using the firearm or will there be someone else (wife for example)?

The answer will depend greatly on those factors listed above.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

I assumed as much but the following questions would be relevant.

1. Are you planning concealed carry or open carry?
2. How big are you not only body wise but hand wise?
3. Are you comfortable with or prefer SA only, DA/SA, DA only?
4. Budget for not only pistol but what are you willing to pay ammo wise?
5. Are you planning to use it for home defense as well? If so do other people live in your home, also do you live in a single home, town/row house or even an apartment (over penetration needs to be a consideration then etc.
6. What is your experience

Why is the above all relevant? I could suggest a gun outside of your price range, that is two big for not only your hands but also not comfortable in an IWB holster that also could easily put a round through a wall either into your kid's bedroom and/or a neighboring residence that has a recoil you may not be experienced enough to handle so follow up round accuracy would be questionable at best and risked you popping off rounds accidentally for the same reason.

Last edited:

BLACK

White Belt
Reaction score
Carbine...
These can be carried on the person discreetly in a bag and marksmanship skills are easier to obtain than with a pistol.
A Keltec KSG would also be a good option because that too can be carried discreetly in a pack.
I never recommend pistols for first time buyers...normally its a shotgun first then a carbine,
You can also build an AR pistol which is even more concealable and you don't need the tax stamp that comes with owning an SBR....

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carbine...
These can be carried on the person discreetly in a bag and marksmanship skills are easier to obtain than with a pistol.
A Keltec KSG would also be a good option because that too can be carried discreetly in a pack.
I never recommend pistols for first time buyers...normally its a shotgun first then a carbine,
You can also build an AR pistol which is even more concealable and you don't need the tax stamp that comes with owning an SBR....

Sorry. Have to disagree with one thing.
A Keltec is rarely, if ever, a good option.

Latest Discussions