Good starter bike.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The time has finally arrived when Erica and I are going to be making enough that we can buy a bike. Here's the thing... I've never ridden. I know that there are a good many bike riders here on MT and I'm curious what ya'll think is a good starter bike. I'm looking at the Vulcan 500LTD. Small enough that I should be able to handle it without too much trouble. Big enough that my 6'2", 200 lb frame will fit it comfortably. Any other ideas? I'm not at all interested in a cafe racer and have neither the money nor skill for the big Gold Wings. Any advice would be most helpful.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first bike was a Honda 550, not a bad bike..I taught myself the basics of how to handle a bike..My next a Harley Sportster, an older model that only had 4 speeds and you had to add a lead additive whenever ya filled up but it was 900cc and was a lot of fun..Even that seemed too small after a year and then I picked up an Electra Glide and have been satisfied ever since..

Advising someone on what bike to purchase is similar to answering questions on which MA to study...Are you comfortable on it?? Can you touch the ground with both feet flat?? If you answer Yes then you made a good choice..

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first bike was a Honda 550, not a bad bike..I taught myself the basics of how to handle a bike..My next a Harley Sportster, an older model that only had 4 speeds and you had to add a lead additive whenever ya filled up but it was 900cc and was a lot of fun..Even that seemed too small after a year and then I picked up an Electra Glide and have been satisfied ever since..

Advising someone on what bike to purchase is similar to answering questions on which MA to study...Are you comfortable on it?? Can you touch the ground with both feet flat?? If you answer Yes then you made a good choice..
Now, see, that's the kind of advice I was looking for. I suppose I didn't word my initial question as well as I could have. I'm not really looking for someone to say "Get bike X from maker Y" so much as what to look for in a bike. The type of info that will make it a good experience and lead to bigger/better bikes in the future.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most of the community colleges in Virginia offer a basic motorcycle class (See VA Rider Training Program), and successful completion of the class waives the skills test for a class M license. (Yes, you need a class M license. Don't ride without one.) They also will cover basic issues like "fit" of a bike. The Virginia DMV Motorcycle Manual also may have some info on fit -- and will have essential information you need to know about riding legally.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Jim. I remember seeing riders at VWCC while driving past there. Do you know if I need to provide my own bike or does the course usually have them available? If you don't know that's alright 'cause I'll be checking into the course later.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yamaha Vstar 650. Why?

Its a BIG bike, physically, but it sits low to the ground and has a good center of balance because of this... far moreso than a Sportster or a Shadow even... so it's (IMO) easier to keep upright when standing still or walking the bike (such as backing it out or turning it around).

And despite its size its not so heavy that it cant be lifted with relative ease if you drop it.

I currently ride a Vstar 1100 and to be honest with you, after all the bikes Ive owned and ridden you'd be hard pressed to get me to change.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Jim. I remember seeing riders at VWCC while driving past there. Do you know if I need to provide my own bike or does the course usually have them available? If you don't know that's alright 'cause I'll be checking into the course later.
I think it depends on the course -- but I believe that they have at least some bikes available. After all, how are you going to get the bike to the class to get the license? :)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Starting out with a small bike for a first time rider is definitely the way to go. However, if you start with anything smaller than 750cc's you will definitely out grow it after one season.

Therefore, I would suggest buying an inexpensive used bike knowing you will trade up in a year, or start with something a little bigger (750cc) that will keep your interest for a few riding seasons.

Ease of handling between a 500 and a 750 is not much different at all.

Good luck and good riding!

P.S. I strongly recommend a rider safety course. I took the MSU rider safety course last year. It was fantastic, very difficult, but you really come out with some experience. They provide the bikes. I was on a Road King. :D I would choose a course like this over the ones generally offered at community colleges. The community colleges teach the basics, but you're not really left with any safety skill.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My heartfelt advice would be "Don't do it!". All the bikers I've known are either dead or carrying extra metal-work (including me as I think is well known) or haven't been riding very long.

However, that wasn't the intent of the OP so I shall hold my peace. Also, this being a largely American inhabited forum, I'll keep my opinions of Harley's to myself too :eek: :lol: {plus, thinking about it, Drac carries a gun for his job so I'd definitely better keep silent :eek:}.

Given what the roads in America are reputedly like and the distances you'll have to cover, a sport-bike would definitely be a bad idea. So I'd advise against something like the GSX750-R that I used to ride. A bike designed as a tourer from the outset, like the Honda FJ1200 would be a troublefree choice.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
P.S. I strongly recommend a rider safety course. I took the MSU rider safety course last year. It was fantastic, very difficult, but you really come out with some experience. They provide the bikes. I was on a Road King. :D I would choose a course like this over the ones generally offered at community colleges. The community colleges teach the basics, but you're not really left with any safety skill.

I took that course... they had nothing bigger than a 250cc bike. I think I did it on a rebel.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree, that it doesn't take too long to get used to a bike. My first bike (and I had NEVER rode before) was a Vulcan with 805cc on it. I am 6'0 and a little over 200 lbs. It was very nice and comfortable bike to ride on.

I agree, take the safety course.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I took that course... they had nothing bigger than a 250cc bike. I think I did it on a rebel.

You sure it was the same course? This was at Woodstock Harley and everyone was on Road Kings. They had Buells too. Two other girls were on Buells.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You sure it was the same course? This was at Woodstock Harley and everyone was on Road Kings. They had Buells too. Two other girls were on Buells.
I went by the local Harley dealer yesterday. Didn't care for any of the Buells I saw there. To be honest, I wasn't impressed at all with the dealership. The sales staff had an attitude that said "If you want a bike, buy a bike. If you don't leave me the hell alone." and a full half of the bikes had been modified with ape hangers. Also went by a dealership that sells most everything from ATVs and PWCs to motorcycles of all shapes and sizes. We found a Boulevard S40 (650cc) that fits Erica perfectly that I fit well enough to use for a season. When I'm good and comfortable I'll pass my first one on to her and get a larger bike. Of all the ones I fitted yesterday the one that I really liked was a Yamaha Road Star (around 800cc if I remember correctly). I even fitted a Gold Wing just for kicks and giggles and was amazed at how well balanced the bike felt at a stand still to be so big. For those of you that ride the Ninja style (cafe racers) bikes I don't know how you do it. It'd kill my back after any significant distance.

The local CC course provides the bikes. I thought you may have to trailer your bike in or something. I'll definitely be taking a safety course of one sort or another. I may even take the CC course to get the license and then get into a more in depth safety course soon after.

Mark, I understand your misgivings completely given your personal history. Your words of caution are not falling on deaf ears. While they won't change my mind about buying a bike they are weighing heavily on my decision to take a safety course instead of just getting one and learning by trial and error.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My first bike was a Harley SX 125 (I got it new, tells you how old I am) but for a first bike I do not see going bigger than 500cc possibly 650 but no bigger. Get something you can lift up off the ground fairly easily, all by yourself, if it happens to be laying on its side.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first bike was a Harley SX 125 (I got it new, tells you how old I am) but for a first bike I do not see going bigger than 500cc possibly 650 but no bigger. Get something you can lift up off the ground fairly easily, all by yourself, if it happens to be laying on its side.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The S40 is a pretty smallish framed 650 that doesn't feel like I'd have too much trouble picking up... or Erica either if she dropped it. I'm having a hell of a time finding anything smaller than a 650 around here.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that the safety course at the local community college is an MSF course.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm thinking of joining the biker crowd myself, with gas prices out of control. I figure what the hell, since I already look like one... :lol: You sound like a decent-sized guy, Jeff, so I think a 500 would be too small for you. You'd look like a monkey ****ing a football... :rofl:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The time has finally arrived when Erica and I are going to be making enough that we can buy a bike. Here's the thing... I've never ridden. I know that there are a good many bike riders here on MT and I'm curious what ya'll think is a good starter bike. I'm looking at the Vulcan 500LTD. Small enough that I should be able to handle it without too much trouble. Big enough that my 6'2", 200 lb frame will fit it comfortably. Any other ideas? I'm not at all interested in a cafe racer and have neither the money nor skill for the big Gold Wings. Any advice would be most helpful.

My specs:

6'3" and 290 lbs

My started bike was the Honda 1100 Sabre. I really like the bike. It was good for me to learn how to ride and fun to drive and was bike enough to get me around locally and on trips. The problem was getting out on the road for long trips and getting on the expressway the bike would go but with my mass and sail area the fuel economy would go down a lot. the engine had to work harder to maintain 75 mph with me on it. 55 to 65 was just fine.

Before I sat on the 1100 I was thinking the 750 because I felt like I could handle it, but once I sat on the 1100 it was a better fit.

My next bike is a Harley Roadking 96 cubic inches. I really like this bike, it is the one I took out west to Sturgis/Custer/Wyoming this year. It was lots of fun to drive even with the tour pack on it.

Why did I upgrade to the Harley versus the 1800 Honda? I drove them both and the Road King just fit me better, and it had some good technology in the ABS brakes and Cruise Control and 6 gallon gas tank. I liked the 6 gallon gas tank so even with my size and others on similar bikes but being smaller they get better fuel economy. Coefficient of Drag is a major input into overall fuel economy and with the 6 gallons now we stop for them and not me. But even if it had the 5 gallon tank, I preferred it over the 1800 because of handling and fit to me.

So I recommend going to dealer events to see if you can drive some bikes to get a feel for them. In my area, one can go down and get a permit with just the written test. This allowed me to go riding with others while learning and waiting to get into a class to help with and test for the driving skills portion of the license test. Once you get your license, and if you have not bought then see if you can rent a bike from a dealership for a day or two. This would allow you to drive it and check it out.

Good Luck in your search and riding.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm thinking of joining the biker crowd myself, with gas prices out of control. I figure what the hell, since I already look like one... :lol: You sound like a decent-sized guy, Jeff, so I think a 500 would be too small for you. You'd look like a monkey ****ing a football... :rofl:

That is what my friends said about me and the 750's, but the 1100 felt comfortable up front. But, looking at the pictures of me, it does look small compared to me on my Harley.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I went by the local Harley dealer yesterday. Didn't care for any of the Buells I saw there. To be honest, I wasn't impressed at all with the dealership. The sales staff had an attitude that said "If you want a bike, buy a bike. If you don't leave me the hell alone." and a full half of the bikes had been modified with ape hangers. Also went by a dealership that sells most everything from ATVs and PWCs to motorcycles of all shapes and sizes. We found a Boulevard S40 (650cc) that fits Erica perfectly that I fit well enough to use for a season. When I'm good and comfortable I'll pass my first one on to her and get a larger bike. Of all the ones I fitted yesterday the one that I really liked was a Yamaha Road Star (around 800cc if I remember correctly). I even fitted a Gold Wing just for kicks and giggles and was amazed at how well balanced the bike felt at a stand still to be so big. For those of you that ride the Ninja style (cafe racers) bikes I don't know how you do it. It'd kill my back after any significant distance.

The local CC course provides the bikes. I thought you may have to trailer your bike in or something. I'll definitely be taking a safety course of one sort or another. I may even take the CC course to get the license and then get into a more in depth safety course soon after.

Mark, I understand your misgivings completely given your personal history. Your words of caution are not falling on deaf ears. While they won't change my mind about buying a bike they are weighing heavily on my decision to take a safety course instead of just getting one and learning by trial and error.

Sorry to hear about your experience at the Harley Dealer near you. Unfortunately, too many are like that. We're lucky to have a very friendly, helpful, patient dealership near us.

I don't like Buells either. They were just smaller bikes available for the course for those who needed them.

Whatever you choose, enjoy! :asian:

Latest Discussions