Sports vs Traditional in terms of Self Defense

OP
N

Nobufusa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so, YOU ended up in a school training nonsense. That does not mean everyone else is.
Except that I am far from the only one, and if nobody told me any better, I would still be doing it to my own detriment. That is why "letting me do what I want" wasn't in my best interest, which means it probably isn't in the best interests of many people.

I fully agree that a lot of schools are teaching garbage. That is pretty obvious. But what you are advocating, whether you realize it or not, is a central “authority” who dictates what and how everyone must train. Good luck with that.
Not dictate, but inform so that people can make informed decisions and not fall into self-delusion. Multiple times in life I had to look myself in the mirror and acknowledge that what I was doing before wasn't as good as what I found later. The only value of this experience was in understanding the difference between low quality and high quality. The important thing is to not remain in low-quality training.

What it seems to me that you don’t understand is that there is more than one single way to train that produces quality results. If you have found something that is good for you, by all means keep doing it. Others need to do the same and that may well be different from what you do.

Totally incorrect interpretation of what I am asking. I completely agree that there is more than one single way to train that produces quality results.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except that I am far from the only one, and if nobody told me any better, I would still be doing it to my own detriment. That is why "letting me do what I want" wasn't in my best interest, which means it probably isn't in the best interests of many people.

Not dictate, but inform so that people can make informed decisions and not fall into self-delusion. Multiple times in life I had to look myself in the mirror and acknowledge that what I was doing before wasn't as good as what I found later. The only value of this experience was in understanding the difference between low quality and high quality. The important thing is to not remain in low-quality training.

Totally incorrect interpretation of what I am asking. I completely agree that there is more than one single way to train that produces quality results.
Ok, so what are you advocating? Because what I am reading here is “people need to be told what to do.”

If you have a teacher, then of course you need to follow his instructions. But I choose what I will study, and under whom (assuming that person is willing to have me as a student). Are you suggesting I should not be allowed that choice? I mean, you did say “the problem with allowing people to do what they want…”. I have no interest in competition. Should I be disallowed from training because I am unwilling to compete?

OP
N

Nobufusa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so what are you advocating? Because what I am reading here is “people need to be told what to do.”

If you have a teacher, then of course you need to follow his instructions. But I choose what I will study, and under whom (assuming that person is willing to have me as a student). Are you suggesting I should not be allowed that choice? I mean, you did say “the problem with allowing people to do what they want…”. I have no interest in competition. Should I be disallowed from training because I am unwilling to compete?

I am advocating not participating in discussion boards unless you watched the video being discussed and are here to discuss the topic at hand.

OP
N

Nobufusa

Green Belt
Reaction score

To humor you though, people often do need to be told what to do because most of the time they don't know what's best for them anyways. Read up on Han Fei Tzi.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am advocating not participating in discussion boards unless you watched the video being discussed and are here to discuss the topic at hand.
A public forum invites participation from all members. You don’t get to dictate participation.

For what it’s worth, I did watch it a couple days ago and I am unimpressed.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To humor you though, people often do need to be told what to do because most of the time they don't know what's best for them anyways. Read up on Han Fei Tzi.
Ok, so I have two students. We don’t have any interest in competition. Should I be banned from teaching?

OP
N

Nobufusa

Green Belt
Reaction score
A public forum invites participation from all members. You don’t get to dictate participation.

For what it’s worth, I did watch it a couple days ago and I am unimpressed.
You are aren't participating (you are actually trolling and derailing) if you aren't here to discuss the original topic and video, in fact, there should be a rule against it.

as far as being impressed or not goes, far more people are impressed with John Danaher than are impressed with you. Frankly, I am not impressed with any of your comments, and I doubt anyone else here is either.

For what it's worth, you haven't produced any tangible argument against John Danaher or his position, so your lack of "being impressed" isn't worth much.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nobufusa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so I have two students. We don’t have any interest in competition. Should I be banned from teaching?
I think you should be banned from teaching based on your behavior on this forum, notwithstanding anything else.

FYI I never said whether or not competition styles are superior or not, I asked a question because I myself don't know the answer.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should be banned from teaching based on your behavior on this forum, notwithstanding anything else.
Ok, let’s entertain this thought. Who enforces this ban? How?
Who tells my students that they are no longer allowed to attend my classes?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are aren't participating (you are actually trolling and derailing) if you aren't here to discuss the original topic and video, in fact, there should be a rule against it.

as far as being impressed or not goes, far more people are impressed with John Danaher than are impressed with you. Frankly, I am not impressed with any of your comments, and I doubt anyone else here is either.

For what it's worth, you haven't produced any tangible argument against John Danaher, so your lack of "being impressed" isn't worth much.
I never claimed to be impressive.
As for my arguments against this fellow, I would say @Chris Parker has a pretty good bead on it.

OP
N

Nobufusa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, let’s entertain this thought. Who enforces this ban? How?
Who tells my students that they are no longer allowed to attend my classes?
Ban yourself from teaching if you have any integrity. Tell your students you aren't qualified to teach for a while until after you do some years of introspection and reflection on your behavior.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ban yourself from teaching if you have any integrity. Tell your students you aren't qualified to teach for a while until after you do some years of introspection and reflection on your behavior.
Ok this has simply taken a silly turn.

So let’s go back to my initial thought: I have no interest in competition. Neither do my students. So we definitely do not train for competition. Should I be banned from teaching?

OP
N

Nobufusa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok this has simply taken a silly turn.

So let’s go back to my initial thought: I have no interest in competition. Neither do my students. So we definitely do not train for competition. Should I be banned from teaching?
Every time you post without actually responding to the contents of the video, or the discussion itself, is in and of itself a silly turn.

In all honesty, I should know better than to feed your demand for attention.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unlike Chris, you haven't provided any meaningful or genuine feedback.
You are right, I haven’t. The benefit of having Chris here is that he does a very thorough job of breaking things down and addressing the minutia. Then I don’t need to do that work. I often find his posts to be intelligently presented and well thought-out. I didn’t agree with everything he said, but overall I agree with what he said.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every time you post without actually responding to the contents of the video, or the discussion itself, is in and of itself a silly turn.

In all honesty, I should know better than to feed your demand for attention.
Well you are the one who said (in effect) people should not be allowed to train how they like. I am trying to dig deeper and understand just what you mean by that, because it has some pretty heavy implications that I am not sure you have really thought about.

I may have come on a bit strong, I can acknowledge that. But I am genuinely trying to understand what your position on this is.

Ji Yuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Japanese sword practitioners would disagree with you. No need to fight dirty. With a blade you either kill them or you don't. It depends upon Satsujinken (killing sword) or Katsujinken (life giving sword). I could go into detail but you only have to watch a few movies to understand. The hero usually only deals with attackers. It's very much a matter of pride for Japanese as in the past the sword has been used for all the wrong reasons.
I was referring to hand-to-hand arts only. You are correct regarding the sword practitioners.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
200.gif

Latest Discussions