Are Martial Sports better for self defense than Martial Arts?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I went back and watched the video. I would say the kick dropped him. He even cringed and leaned forward, into the kick. A likely oh shxx moment.

This leads me to believe that hitting dudes in full armor with blunt swords, doesn't do much damage so it's basically high $$$$ Larping, But the kick, is real blunt force trauma, and this is the case of Larper meets Larper/Fighter....and the Larper folded under real pain.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have no idea how much the guy was concussed or how much he was hurt.

Any opinion on that would be just silly assumption.

More like he was overwhelmed and gave up. This is common to exaggerate damage in order to quit fighting. That dude was just way outmatched and Round 2 would have been just the same.

I've seen videos of dudes getting hit for real in the head/helm with a flail (repeatedly), and they kept on fighting. I don't think a high kick packs more punch.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
More like he was overwhelmed and gave up. This is common to exaggerate damage in order to quit fighting. That dude was just way outmatched and Round 2 would have been just the same.

I've seen videos of dudes getting hit for real in the head/helm with a flail (repeatedly), and they kept on fighting. I don't think a high kick packs more punch.

Again....you have no idea. You are working off an assumption based on almost no information. Doesn't matter how many videos you have seen....you do not know if or how much that person was rattled.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Again....you have no idea. You are working off an assumption based on almost no information. Doesn't matter how many videos you have seen....you do not know if or how much that person was rattled.

Aren't you doing the same w/your assumptions? You are.

Sure he was rattled, but I'm just more experienced to see that the guy probably quit due to being a outclassed and didn't want further beating.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Aren't you doing the same w/your assumptions? You are.

Sure he was rattled, but I'm just more experienced to see that the guy probably quit due to being a outclassed and didn't want further beating.

If you guys are talking about the vid DB posted, it seems like he didn't get knocked out . He didn't stiffen up and fall, he crumpled voluntarily. Seems like a pain response.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't know what the helmet hit. Some piece of metal could have tagged a bit of head and busted something?
And can't see his face to see how disoriented he is. It wasn't a complete KO, but I've seen MMA fighters go down on one knee and not be able to get back up quickly after a kick (which doesn't last long, since the other fighter will move in and the ref will probably end the fight).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This leads me to believe that hitting dudes in full armor with blunt swords, doesn't do much damage so it's basically high $$$$ Larping, But the kick, is real blunt force trauma, and this is the case of Larper meets Larper/Fighter....and the Larper folded under real pain.
Well, the armor was designed to protect against the sword. Even a sharp one wouldn't do much unless they got a solid thrust. It's probably uncomfortable to be hit with it, but not enough to stop an attack. They wouldn't have depended upon the blade for striking damage - more likely the pommel or crosspiece (when held by the blade).

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aren't you doing the same w/your assumpti

I'm not making any assumptions. I dont know if he was unconscious, just a little rattled, or completely faking.

If you guys are talking about the vid DB posted, it seems like he didn't get knocked out . He didn't stiffen up and fall, he crumpled voluntarily. Seems like a pain response.

Not everyone stiffens. The last time I was knocked unconscious I went completely limp....dropped like a sack of taters...lol

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not everyone stiffens. The last time I was knocked unconscious I went completely limp....dropped like a sack of taters...lol

Perhaps but he didn't go limp, he crumpled into a squatting turtle. The hands came up. I've never seen anyone raise their arms into an 'oh shoot' cover while KOed.

He probable saw the white flash and got rung a bit though I'd wager.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not making any assumptions. I dont know if he was unconscious, just a little rattled, or completely faking.

If you "don't know if he was unconscious", then you have very poor judgments as the video showed that he wasn't. And "completely faking" is an extreme. Maybe you just haven't seen enough videos nor in person to make such a call but it doesn't mean that I can't.

D

Deleted member 39746

Now training to look around for objects? C'mon man, do you really need to pay some dude in a camouflage getup, wearing combat boots on the mat, to teach you how to pick up a chair or lamp to swing at another dude? Really, are you going to go to an actual bar to train?

Im not bringing up if anyone will teach right or not, just going over some of the subjects which might be ignored in sports and should be focused on for more combative teaching.

And you are paying some person in what ever uniform they wear with what ever logo their school uses on it anyway.

Also they should cover hand to hand skills in any good firearms combative close for close ranges as there is a chance you have to create distance before you can pull a firearm or knife without your arm being grabbed etc. But they tend to remind you about observation in it as the person you had a dispute with could have friends and that sort of thing.

also for this armour video, he got kicked in the head by a leg with a metal sheaf to it. It would have been stupid idea to kick his head without a piece of Armour on your leg. Its pretty unpleasant to get hit in the head with anything when you have a helmet on. (of that type)

Edit: I REINFORCE THE POINT OF THE LEG HAS A METAL SHEAF TO IT.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And you are paying some person in what ever uniform they wear with what ever logo their school uses on it anyway.

Well I'm paying them to teach me something useful, ie. BJJ techniques....and not to teach me how to pick up a chair and swinging it. I can teach you this for free if you're in my area.

Also they should cover hand to hand skills in any good firearms combative close for close ranges as there is a chance you have to create distance before you can pull a firearm or knife without your arm being grabbed etc. But they tend to remind you about observation in it as the person you had a dispute with could have friends and that sort of thing.

In general, for gun disarming to work, the guy wielding the gun must make the crucial mistake of pointing it real close to you right? Otherwise, you're getting shot. You ain't faster than that trigger pull. And most knife defense are baloney, except mine :D

also for this armour video, he got kicked in the head by a leg with a metal sheaf to it. It would have been stupid idea to kick his head without a piece of Armour on your leg. Its pretty unpleasant to get hit in the head with anything when you have a helmet on. (of that type)

Edit: I REINFORCE THE POINT OF THE LEG HAS A METAL SHEAF TO IT.

They are playing Medieval Knights dress-up + fighting.....why would the kicker even wear full armor, minus the leg armor for? For one thing, it would look weird, out of place and those guys really get into period specific, dressing up.

That helmet has a lot of modern tech cushioning on the inside. I posted videos of dudes getting cracked in the head hard with a flail and other weapons, repeatedly....but they didn't fold like this guy did.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So if you just break something important but not knock the guy out. It can look like this.

Latest Discussions