Sport moves for self defense

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't mean sport martial arts moves, like from sport TKD, but more like the forearm shot a football player gives. Someone might remember the video of Ray Nitschke of the Green Bay Packers laying out a fan who came on the field with a forearm. Do you think that some moves from contact sports are useful in self defense? Which ones? I mentioned the American football forearm shot, also, there's a clip of a Scottish street fight out there and it shows a young shaven headed guy headbutting and shinkicking, like soccer (what we americans call football). I also think American football and rugby tackling would be applicable. What are your opinions? Anyone ever use a sports move for self defense? Thanks in advance for replies.

C

Crom

Hmm, novel topic.

I'm not so sure about rugby tackling, it'd only really be usefull if you wanted to ground someone running away from you and i'm not sure where that fits my idea of self defence. If they were stationary i'd imagine that they'd have a good chance of kicking you in the noggin. I'm sure there'd be some precedent for it but i can't think of one right now. Is tackling in american football the same as rugby? From what I've seen it tends to be higher and possibly more useful (in rugby you tend to aim to get your shoulder in at thigh level then hold onto their legs til they fall down, at least thats how i play).

Can anyone explain the forearm shot thing, i'm a little english for that kinda knowledge?

There's a move in rugby (face off, palm off, something or other that i can't think of the name for right now) where you extend your arm horizontally, palm out when your running aiming it at peoples faces if they're foolish enough to stand in your way, its really unpleasent to be facing if there's any speed or weight behind it.

And the good old shin kick, brings back high school, happy days.

OP
L

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We would call the face off or palm off a stiff arm. The guy on the Heisman trophy is doing it. American football you're supposed to hit and then wrap up but guys like Ronnie Lott, well, sometimes they would just hit. The forearm thing is kinda like a shotokan up block, except going forward, with all your weight behind it, coming off the shoulder and lead leg. Thanks for the information, don't know much about rugby, just seen it on TV.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When the forwards are pushing over a ruck in rugby it looks much like the beginning of a male ego fight. They practise this with a clear head while watching for the ball to come out. Good fight practice.

Jonny Wilkinson's tackling has looked suspiciously like morote gari (two handed leg reap) at times. He gets his hips underneath and then lifts them off the ground before turning and dumping.

Running forward while avoiding three or four people trying to tackle you is great multiple opponent practice.

Finally rugby men tend to do their drinking in groups of 15 (plus as many subs bothered to turn up). Even a 2nd XV should take out any 1st XI with ease.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a pro golfer's backhand smack travelling from 6 - 12. They work the mechanics of that shot tirelessly - the whole body moves in rotational harmony.

OP
L

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, esp. for the info about rugby. Interesting. You know, I don't know what a 2nd XV or a 1st XI is but I'm not about to mess with a group of 15 rugby players drinking together. Flatlander I totally agree. Do you think that all sporting moves that use that hip shoulder rotation (golf swing, throwing a football, baseball) could set up muscle memory that might have martial application? Also, since you're from Canada, a couple of years ago, a TV talk show host from the U.S went up there and was fooling around in the locker room with some hockey players. He said "can somebody teach me how to fight?" A guy walks up, and explains a little about hockey fighting, grabbed him by his sweater up near the neck (TV guy was starting to freak a little) and explained how he could hit him with the grabbing hand, he used the hand that had the sweater to lightly pop him in the jaw, and then just mimed a punch with his other hand, straight up towards the jaw. Just curious, but I've seen some of those streetfight videos from around the world on the web, and do you think that whatever the main sport of the country is, that is how men are likely to streetfight, especially if that is a sport they might have played?

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most if not all sports are metaphorical/symbollic or substitution for warfare. The same physical coordinate, strength, endurance and power (mental and physical) that goes into excelling in sports goes into martial arts/self defense....

I don't remember the name off hand, but there was a WWII General that accreditted American Football as a common experience/tool that developed the fighting skill, teamwork and coordination that Army units used in the Pacific campaigns during the end of WWII. So, beyond the physical applications of movements, sports can contribute to the tactical/strategic development of a person in MA.

Latest Discussions