speed

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hixxy said:

i wasnt inplying bruce lee was terrible at sticky hands,i was saying that this master stated that Mr Lee wouldnt be very good due to his muscle he had developed.

is that correct that doing lighter weights with quicker reps can iprove your speed?

I apologize for the confusion. I would greatly disagree with that Master though.

Yea it does work. I took up boxing first before I tool up TKD and that is what boxers do especially lower weights. Look at Sugar Ray Leonard, Sugar shane mosley, Roy Jones Jr. etc.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
So lifting weights makes it difficult for muscles to relax because they "get used to tension?"

Because that's ridiculous.

You and I would call it improper training. Or, becoming "muscle bound", or going for that Hard Body look where metabolic wastes have built up in the muscles and they are always partially contracted, sore, and easily torn.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
This guys hands are fast no doubt. You may note that he ends his combo cleaner on the right hand, his left does not finish the combo as sharp. I believe that hands moving that fast will not generate the same kind of power as a Boxers right cross will. (That's the difference between lightning & thunder) Looking at it from the point of Wing Chun, he does not need the same power as a Boxers cross becuase his target is the throat and not the jaw, nose etc...Strikes at that speed to the throat will set up a good follow-up/finishing strike (which we don't see hear) No doubt he is showing off speed, not penetrating power. With such speed you could set up a helluva finishing strike if you have one, HAHAHA! Just my opinion.

OP
H

hixxy

White Belt
Reaction score

AceHBK said:
I apologize for the confusion. I would greatly disagree with that Master though.

Yea it does work. I took up boxing first before I tool up TKD and that is what boxers do especially lower weights. Look at Sugar Ray Leonard, Sugar shane mosley, Roy Jones Jr. etc.
(this post is O/T)
Hmm i didnt no that thanx
il give light weight traing a go now then.how light are we talking and how many reps?

i no that when doing heavy weights its best to try for around 12 reps so what would it be for improvement of hand speed?

also roy jones jr,what a great boxer

barriecusvein

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
So lifting weights makes it difficult for muscles to relax because they "get used to tension?"

Because that's ridiculous.
Your right the muscles do not 'get used to the tension'. That was simply a simplistic way of putting it so i didnt have to write out a very long argument.

Trying to keep it short:The person lifting has to tense their muscles to lift the weight. This makes the brain associate achieving a goal with that muscle with tensing it. The neural pathways for tensing the muscle become very strong, whereas the ones leading to keeping the muscle relaxed become weaker in comparison. When training the person will act using the pathways that are the strongest. If the strongest pathways lead to tension in the muscles, then tension will be used when throwing moves.

Im not saying weight lifting is bad, far from it. But i think if you do a style that focus' on relaxation, then most people will be less relaxed if they lift lots of weights. If you can maintain a relaxed state while lifting weights, great! But i, and i think most others, cannot.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
barriecusvein said:
Trying to keep it short:The person lifting has to tense their muscles to lift the weight. This makes the brain associate achieving a goal with that muscle with tensing it. The neural pathways for tensing the muscle become very strong, whereas the ones leading to keeping the muscle relaxed become weaker in comparison. When training the person will act using the pathways that are the strongest. If the strongest pathways lead to tension in the muscles, then tension will be used when throwing moves

This ignores most of the things we know about how the body works.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Can you explain this further?

Force = Mass times Acceleration.

Acceleration is the rate of change over time, or the first derivative of speed.

Speed or velocity is the distance travelled over time.

I am curious as to the exponentially part of your explanation.

Thank you sir.

Presumably he is referring to the KE= .5mv^2 equation.

Lamont

Latest Discussions