Something achieved

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
began the day with 2 hrs of meditation. I just turned on the stereo and listened to the background music of Scottish Bagpipes. Well I-Tunes to be exacting.
I know in the movies they always talk about enlightenment and so on.
I always thought it malarky the way it sounded so cheesy.
Well I am going to tell you I felt like an aura outside of myself. I went outside with two katanas and did the chong ji hyung with them. 10 sets of that.
I went back inside and did 500 chest reps in under an hour. Followed by 500 ab and lower back reps.
I did a few hours of physical therapy, all the time focusing on a "Happy Place" in pure concentration and total focus of attempting motor/mechnical perfection on each technique.
Yes it is easy to focus that hard, the type where you believe you are actually see yourself doing during your endeavor. Always, I mean always keep your vision on target with goal or it won't work.

I guess it is the part to where I really began to realize my full potential has really just beginning.
Funny, I have a realization as this after my military career. But better late than never right?

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I find it fascinating what sounds will lend themselves to that type of experience. For me, bagpipes would be distracting, but it definately was the key to your high state of focus and enlightenment. For others the "traditional" sounds of wood flutes, etc. would simply be boring and not transcendent. And I know of one guy who zones to metal....who knew?

Very cool. I've managed to experience that heightened state twice, and led to amazing days. Congratulations on the accomplishment!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The bagpipes make sense—highland pipes were part of the fighters getting into the right mind-set to take on the English, and they were viewed as military in nature (no big surprise that after Culloden, pipes were banned by the English occupiers). The Germans in two wars found the Scots regiments, especially the Black Watch (whom they called, because of their kilts and ferocious fighting abilities, 'the old ladies from Hell') more than they could handle, and the pipes of the Watch were said to be the worst sound that a German soldier going into battle could hear. So it's absolutely natural that you got in the zone with pipes in the background, matt!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fascinating. Congratulations Matt!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bagpipes make sense—highland pipes were part of the fighters getting into the right mind-set to take on the English, and they were viewed as military in nature (no big surprise that after Culloden, pipes were banned by the English occupiers). The Germans in two wars found the Scots regiments, especially the Black Watch (whom they called, because of their kilts and ferocious fighting abilities, 'the old ladies from Hell') more than they could handle, and the pipes of the Watch were said to be the worst sound that a German soldier going into battle could hear. So it's absolutely natural that you got in the zone with pipes in the background, matt!

The pipe are very stirring and martial but can also be sad and mournful. the Ghurkhas also have pipe bands.
On a side note we are boarding up our windows, hiding our valuables and locking up our daughters as we prepare for the Black Watch being posted here. Thjey haven't mellowed down the years. Look out if you can for "Black Bear" their regimental quick march.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.

The point of using the bagpipes is because the 4 sects of my family name are from the Highlands of Scotland. Morton: From Nithsdale, Hiram Connor Morton was the nephew of William Wallace where the Morton clan fought with Wallace at Falkirk.

On the McDowell side Robert McDowell married one of Rob Roy MacGregor's Nieces.

So bagpipes are a huge part of my heritage. They are my "Conan or Rocky" soundtrack if you will.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent to hear how you got to that calm state of focus we all strive for in the martial arts and most especially in the sword arts :rei:.

If you can 'carry' the pipes within you and begin to take on that calm at will then you've made a huge step :tup:.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
total enlightment..........................

I think I had that once, but my wife won't let me go there anymore, she said I was smiling to much............:vu::duh:

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
After 9/11 the bagpipes were declared to be a "Weapon of Mass Destruction" much like Haggis and Fishermans Friends.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes but I adore bagpipes and haggis. I fought for 5 yrs. in the USMC so people could have freedom of expression, etc. It is all good. lol

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's very cool Matt, congratulations. :asian: I have lots of questions about this now, so I'll start a new thread. Thanks for posting about it. :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very cool, Matt! I personally love performing the taegeuk forms with swords in hands. It adds a whole new dimension to the empty hand form and I love combining swords with kicks.

Daniel

Latest Discussions