Reminders and goals

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I went to an extra class for TKD last night, due to the fact that tonights class ends 15 minutes after I get off work. In the 3 months I've been at this, last night was, by far, the hardest. 1 1/4 hours of kicking drills, with 30 seconds between for our Sa Bum Nim, Mr. O, to show us what we were doing next, and 2 2-minute water breaks. Totally worn out after, but it was great!

At one point, we were practising spinning back kicks. Something I've never been great at, but I am improving. Now, I've been told that I can kick pretty hard when a) I do it properly and b) I put my weight behind it (I'm 5'7, 200lbs, though I'm hoping to work some of that weight off). When using the pads, I've seen how much I can rock someone back when I hit and, yeah, for an out-of-shape white belt, I guess I can kick pretty hard.

Now, some of us weren't kicking as hard as Mr. O thought we should be capable of. I was holding the pad when he demonstrated. Sweet Murphy, the man kicks like a mule! Some of the other students were rocking me back a bit. He threw me back a good 4'! And even through the padding, that kick hurt!

It was a reminder that I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I also have a new goal. I've got fairly strong legs (again, for an out-of-shape white belt :)), but I am determined to get my kicking strength up. Next payday, I'm finally picking up a punching bag. :D Wonderful what one person's demonstration can do, isn't it? ;)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having a goal helps you improve your skills! Enjoy.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Every few classes, Master Yeo does something that points me in the direction I need to be going in and spurrs me to train either harder in general or harder in a specific area. These are fantastic moments, as they open us up to the possibilites ahead of us. They give us a goal to shoot for, which as Kacey said, is a good thing. But more than that, these moments motivate us, inspire us, and remind us of just why we started taking taekwondo in the first place.

Daniel

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
One of the things I think is great about Mr. Ottesen (Mr. O, as he prefers we call him) is how he always encourages us to do the best we can, and if we make mistakes, to learn from them. Last night, to me, was a perfect example.

I had to miss class last night because of work, but my son went, and I was able to pick him up after. We stuck around for about 20 minutes or so after class while Mr. O gave a few students some pointers on their techniques, because we have a testing day coming up on the 28th. After he was done, we set up a time for my son to test for his yellow belt.

Once that was set up, Mr. O looked at me and asked when I was testing for my yellow stripe. I told him I wasn't planning on testing until July, as I wasn't confident enough on the knowledge portion of my testing. The conversation then proceeded like this:

"Do you know your patterns?"

"Yes, sir."

"Do you know your three-step sparring?"

"Yes, sir."

"Do you know your self defence techniques?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then why delay?"

He got me there. I know a few people that would say he's just trying to get extra testing fees out of me, but I'm part of our school's Black Belt Club, so I don't pay for my testing. (Before anyone asks, no, I don't pay extra to be in the BBC. Actually, I pay less each month.) And, even if I don't make it, I know what I need to work on for my next testing.

So, here I am, eagerly awaiting my testing on the 28th. I just hope I have a Korean Language Gene™ that's going to kick in, because I just can't get down counting in Korean. ;)

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here is a tip for learning numbers in a foreign language. Write down 1-10 (or however many you have to know) and then write down the Korean next to them (look it up if you have to). Keep that piece of paper with you and whenever you see or encounter numbers translate the individual numbers into Korean. Look at the paper only if you are really not sure of the number. I do it with license plates on the way to and from work to keep my skills in. When you work out, always count in Korean and refer to that paper if you are not sure.

As an example, I just looked at the time on my computer, it said 10:18. That is "Y-all", "Hana", "Yo-dol" (ten, one, eight).

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He got me there. I know a few people that would say he's just trying to get extra testing fees out of me, but I'm part of our school's Black Belt Club, so I don't pay for my testing. (Before anyone asks, no, I don't pay extra to be in the BBC. Actually, I pay less each month.) And, even if I don't make it, I know what I need to work on for my next testing.
A little off topic, but I am curious; why would anyone not be in the blackbelt club? It seems financially beneficial to the student. Or is there a qualification that one must meet or a contractual obligation? And what does the club consist of? I'm genuinely asking; not picking at the club; it sounds like a good thing.:)

Daniel

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
The BBC at our school has financial benefits for the students with only one stipulation, really. You're basically agreeing to train at the school under a three year contract. For that, you pay a little less per month ($81 vs $88, not much, but these days, every $ counts, right?), you get a 10% discount on anything you purchase from the school (doboks, sparring gear, training gear like re-breakable boards and what-not), and you don't have any fees for testing. Plus, BBC members can attend separate classes specifically aimed at stretching, conditioning, training for competitions, and breaking.

I agree with the sentiment of why would you not want to be a BBC member, although I can see situations where a 1 year membership is more attractive. If you're someone who moves around a lot and aren't sure you can commit to three years. Or (like I did) if you're putting your child in for the first time and aren't certain they're going to like TKD (fortunately, he absolutely loves TKD!).

Personally, I thought pretty hard about if I would go for the BBC once my introductory month was done, or if I would just go year-to-year. I'm glad I chose the route I did.

Latest Discussions