Kyompa

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I'm not the jungest boy who could fly, spin, turn,jump at all but I still have the technique and I'm strong enoug to do power kyompa (breaking techiniques) so I'm using four techinkes right now, hand (reverse punch) elbow, ap chagui Front kick), ti chagui (side kick) and titora ti chagui, (spining side kick) nothing fancy like jumping spining hook kicks but simple and efective moves.

Manny

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We spell breaking phonetically as "kyukpa" but I knew what you meant!

I think breaking is one of the most under-developed parts of TKD. We only practice breaking once-a-month and everyone loves it. In other schools I was affiliated with, we'd only do breaking at tests and everyone was afraid of it.

To Manny and the board-how often do you practice or prepare for breaking? Is it a regular part of your training? If not, why?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To Manny and the board-how often do you practice or prepare for breaking? Is it a regular part of your training? If not, why?

We prepare for breaking by working on technique - if your technique is good, breaking is easy; the boards don't move, you have time to stand there and focus on your target, and so on. We break every few weeks, usually practicing on rebreakables; wood is expensive and getting worse, but is used for testings.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone here break house bricks?

How do you go about it? I have just been told about another school who do this and am curious. I believe they use their heel.

We practice breaking, some times quite a lot sometimes only when preparing for testing.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Generally, we only do breaking at tests, though I personally would like to see it done more often. I'm with Kacey; breaking is easy if your technique is good, which perhaps is why we only do it at tests.

Daniel

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do board breaking usually a couple lesson before the exmanination and in the emination only. It's cool to break boards or bricks or cement blocks or even ice, but mostly we do wood (pine) board breaking, y use to break two one inch each with fist and three one inch each one with kicks.

BTW sorry for my writting mistakes English is not my mother langaje I'm a Mexican.

Manny

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We do board breaking usually a couple lesson before the exmanination and in the emination only. It's cool to break boards or bricks or cement blocks or even ice, but mostly we do wood (pine) board breaking, y use to break two one inch each with fist and three one inch each one with kicks.

BTW sorry for my writting mistakes English is not my mother langaje I'm a Mexican.

Manny
Well, I can follow your posts just fine.:) You're doing better than me; I would be hard pressed to post anything coherent in Spanish.

Daniel