Solo training tips for sparring

Lyandor

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'd like to ask for tips to improve reaction time (especially when on the defensive side) unfortunately I can only train in a dojang once a month, it's nowhere near enough to prepare me to be on the same level as the other blue belts. I usually train alone at home, drilling basic kicks and repeating poomse. My problem during sparring is always confused what to do next. I have confidence with my kicking speed but my reactions against enemy attacks is really dull. Same goes for when I'm on the offensive side, I find myself confused with which specific part to attacks. Is there a method to prepare for sparring matches alone?

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shadow boxing has always worked for me in the past. It helps sharpen you skills, drilling all your basics until they come naturally, therefore hopefully you react on instinct when sparring with a partner, rather than trying to think through what you want to do next, which will slow down your reaction time.

It also helps with your movement, instilling a flow and fluidity that will help you move and react quicker and with less effort, improving your chances of responding immediately or even preempting your partners attacks.

Other than that, maybe try and rope in a friend to help with your training at home, nothing beats sparring with a real partner to improve your fighting ability unfortunately.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Train in front of a mirror.
Also, when training solo, its more about the mentality than the action. Dont try and replace normal training - Instead, work on everything you can do alone. Shadow Boxing, Fitness, Mirror Striking (Just dont accidentally elbow your mirror like i did), and for reaction time?
http://www.online-stopwatch.com/countdown-timer/
Set this baby to five seconds, start it, turn and face away from it, and the SPLIT SECOND the buzzer goes off, spring into full out action for about five seconds flat. There, reaction training :)

Above all else, keep it simple. One or two types of punches and one preferred kick, one elbow archetype and one knee archetype. Simple. Dont sit there having a 'what do i do' internal debate, or youll be standing there thinking whilst the other guy hits you randomly.

OP
L

Lyandor

White Belt
Reaction score
Got it, I'll try doing as you guys suggest. Shadow boxing has never entered my mind before. I've never done shadow boxing actually, is there anything I should take note of when doing it?

@cyriacus: Rly nice tip, I've never thought of the timer. Frankly speaking, I've been longing for kick-upon-signal training but no one can help me with it. I'll choose a few techniques and only drill them more.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
With shadow boxing try and keep your technique, footwork and positioning good, in other words don't become sloppy. As Cyriacus mentioned, using a mirror is great for this sort of training. You can check that your moving correctly, not twisting your head when throwing a reverse punch for example, take note if your hands are dropping to aid in balance when throwing a kick or just not returning promptly to your guard after a punch has been thrown.

I find starting shadow boxing slowly, teaching muscle memory, is a great way, a slow combination thrown 5 to 6 times before repeating at a greater speed until you eventually work your way up to your full speed (I have also noticed this has helped me develop greater speed overall).

But most importantly, relax, don't get stressed and enjoy the training. Good luck! :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
With shadow boxing try and keep your technique, footwork and positioning good, in other words don't become sloppy. As Cyriacus mentioned, using a mirror is great for this sort of training. You can check that your moving correctly, not twisting your head when throwing a reverse punch for example, take note if your hands are dropping to aid in balance when throwing a kick or just not returning promptly to your guard after a punch has been thrown.

I find starting shadow boxing slowly, teaching muscle memory, is a great way, a slow combination thrown 5 to 6 times before repeating at a greater speed until you eventually work your way up to your full speed (I have also noticed this has helped me develop greater speed overall).

But most importantly, relax, don't get stressed and enjoy the training. Good luck! :)

To add to this: If you do shadow box and go slow, go slow, but dont slow down the time in between strikes. It leads to bad, bad habits when you kick it back up to full speed. For example: You throw a jab just as hard as you would a right hook, since its slow, and the effort is the same even if you put more into one than the other. Then when you go to a higher speed you end up with a big telegraphed left straight.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shadow boxing has always worked for me in the past. It helps sharpen you skills, drilling all your basics until they come naturally, therefore hopefully you react on instinct when sparring with a partner, rather than trying to think through what you want to do next, which will slow down your reaction time.

Instinct is inborn, it cannot be trained. Reflex, yes. That can be trained. Instinct cannot.

Solo practice will help with technique (if it's periodically supervised to avoid learning things wrong). It helps with speed (try practicing with resistance bands). It helps with balance. It helps with comfort.

The best way to improve your reaction time, however, requires a partner. Especially since you're uncertain where to attack. You need a partner to throw attacks so you can see what openings are created, then block and counter. The only really effective way to do this is with a partner. Start slow so you can see the openings that are created when your partner attacks. Then work up to full speed. Use combinations to create openings (i.e. a rear leg roundhouse to the waist to bring their hands down, switch legs and throw a roundhouse to their head on the oppsite side).

Bottom line is that because you're only training in the dojang once a month, you are not going to advance as quickly as someone who trains more frequently, so you need to just do your best and compare yourself to yourself, not others.

The stopwatch idea is better than nothing, but it's predictable so I don't think it's really going to do too much to help with reaction times. Responding to a countdown timer is like responding to someone who telegraphs their attacks. To improve your reaction time by responding to a buzzer you need something that will buzz unpredictably.

Latest Discussions