Solo training

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night came dojang late so I decide to train alone when dojang was empty, I just loock the dojangs door and began with a light warm up to then do some kicks (peet chaguis, ap chaguis and yop chaguis) to a dummy (kicking shiled) tied to poles we use to do stretching. Afther that I did not know waht to do so I practice taeguks from one (I-Yang) to taeguk 5 (yuk-yang) three times each one. I finished soaked, very hot and wet and tired I must confess.

What I liked about last night is I could do my things at my own pace without hurry and paying atention to the basics doing the taeguks.

The nest time I will practice Taeguk 6,7,8 and koryo and then in the next chance koryo, kungam and taebeck.

Manny

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you have found a good way to study. A former student of mine, who was a 4th dan, used to do that with his wife before our class started. Seemed to enjoy it, both of them, even though his wife wasn't belted in TKD as far as I recall.

I have done it sometimes with Hapkido, and I enjoyed many times. Like you, I could concentrate more without the distractions.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With solo training you can work on those things you need to without the pressure of having to keep up a certian pace that you would if there was a full class.
You can work one technique or form all night if thats what you want. and as you said you get a chance to make sure everything is correct in what yo are doing.
Solo training is a great way for anyone to do what they love

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i train on my own practising the moves and getting the footwork / hand / head positions right at slow pace then applying a bit more pace to the move before starting shadow boxing and using those moves plus others :)

i like doing things this way - often it's stuff that i've learnt in the gym or got wrong in the gym and i just use my time as a kinda "homework" so that next time i go the gym i've got it nailed so when my coach holds the pads up i can just do the move plus the other following moves in the combination :)

there's nothing wrong with training on your own just to make sure you get things right or that you're not getting slow :)

my coach also say that "if you're not dripping with sweat by the end of your practise then you weren't trying hard enough" ;)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
donnaTKD said:
there's nothing wrong with training on your own just to make sure you get things right or that you're not getting slow :)

Haha, trying being 43 lol. Seriously, it starts hitting the skids at 40, but then again, Cung Le is my inspriation! Well I don't fancy the reverse kicks, but hey. (BTW, watch [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1735862/]Dragon Eyes[/url] ). Personally I do tend to struggle when on my own, I pretty much need constant tactile response. Enviromentally I can be a little slow to feel the danger etc. Shadow boxing and technique becomes a bit frustrating, so I just leather my bag and then start again :)

donnaTKD said:
my coach also say that "if you're not dripping with sweat by the end of your practise then you weren't trying hard enough" ;)

Not so sure that I can agree with that. In the context of a gym I can see that, but you know what, sometimes it is prudent to keep it simple. Okay in my own concerted opinion Donna, sweating is good, but it is no indicator of a hard workout, that would be the euphoria gleaned a good sesh, sweaty and tired is not it (in the main). If you have good technique, you don't need to sweat buckets, just to know nailed it!

Last edited:

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sweaty and tired in our gym means that you've been pushed to the limit and then some ;) personally i love it cos i know that when i fight i've got the ability to step it all up a gear if i need to which is why i train hard :) fighting is not a game :) which is prolly why my coach says what he does :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
donnaTKD said:
fighting is not a game

Yeah, which is why one addresses all issues. Yeah you can train hardcore, but the mind is lacking, harness that to the fighting mind, one realises that recovery is paramount, oxygen still bleeds. Yeah I know breathe, but still, economy of movement, that is the most important in a protracted struggle, or not.