TKD Knife defense

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nice, she read the situation well. Probably the only time it's safe to disarm someone with a kick though.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Awesome vid! The reports I've read say she is a taekwondo practitioner! And, with all due respect, she's a pretty woman!
BTW, thanks for sharing! I've already re-shared with people from my school! The girls will love it (the boys too, surely)!

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going on the assumption that this was a serious news video and not a publicity stunt...

I suppose a TKD kick can be effective on a stationary person that is loosely holding a stationary weapon at arms length. If the person is a violent, determined attacker trying to injure you and you try this same technique...I don't like your chances.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Going on the assumption that this was a serious news video and not a publicity stunt...

I suppose a TKD kick can be effective on a stationary person that is loosely holding a stationary weapon at arms length. If the person is a violent, determined attacker trying to injure you and you try this same technique...I don't like your chances.

She was very lucky! The element of surprise helped her but she would probably get a deferent result in most cases.

Funny it almost looked like a bad one step sparring set up!

The bad thing about that flying around the net is that people will think tha it is a good idea!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

With a pair of scissors as the weapon, I'd be tempted to give it a shot. Would take some determination and time to hurt someone with most scissors.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
With a pair of scissors as the weapon, I'd be tempted to give it a shot. Would take some determination and time to hurt someone with most scissors.
I'm going to disagree. You may have trouble slashing someone, but a stab from scissors would not be much different than from a knife or a screwdriver. Scissors may give a "safety factor" for that kick, but it doesn't mean they are not a potentially dangerous weapon.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ha, ha! I've often wondered how women can even walk in some of the heels I've seen. I do a bit of training in shoes but there's no way I'd be able to pull off a kick in those things.

I do find some of the comments from people amusing though. It reminds me of another board I was o several years ago when a poster related how he defended himself from a mugger (who had a gun, IIRC) using a bituro chagi. Some of the other people took it upon themselves to tell him, basically, "you did it wrong!" even though he was the one who had put in the training time specifically to work on that technique and skillful enough to use it and they weren't. Go figure.

Pax,

Chris

Latest Discussions