So it's now 3 days since my first Pencak-Silat class.........

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
...........and only now( only NOW) do my legs not scream with pain.

First thing i learned was just how far my fitness has discombibblebobbled---just the warm ups kicked my *** and I finished the class on sheer force of will alone.
This is far and away a different ( and far and away a BETTER) martial art than any I've previously come in contact with. How much of this is due to the fact that at least half if not more of my previous schools could be properly referred to as "McDojos" I don't know but it MUST have influenced this.
Of particular interest to me was the manner in which the takedowns I was shown were performed.
I must wander a bit in order to make my point:
You see, much has been made in recent years of people coming under criticism for claiming that this or that technique is "too deadly" to be trained full speed or used in sparring. In most cases this is considered a "cop-out" by our more overtestosterated brethren in the martial arts community. But with that being said, for the most part I would often find myself in agreement with them on this particular point, since up until this class my only reference point of such assertions of "deadliness" were made in context of strikes practiced solely against air in a "McDojo" environment( for those of you not familiar with the term, "McDojo" is a phrase used by both mixed martial artists as well as true traditional martial artists to refer to the average store front "franchise" school establishment with extreme scorn and derision for their slickly-packaged, "fast-food" style training geared less toward serious students and more towards children, soccer moms and soft middle class people who don't like to get hit. In such an environment the training is usually severely lacking in quality of technical depth( i.e. a lot of form or movement practiced with no idea why it is practiced or to what purpose), the promise of "self discipline" appears to send the message to soccer moms that a martial arts school, at some point, became synonymous with a babysitting service. This is not to say kids don't benefit, but it does change the whole tone, and so adult material( i.e. techniques or issues relating to deadly force, weaponry or true self defense) cannot be taught "as is" with children in attendance, and there is an implied guarantee that you will recieve your "black belt" or equivalent rank simply because you paid for it, irrespective of whether or not you can step on the mat and defend it.)
Getting back to topic, the takedowns I was taught that first class were practiced at quarter speed only because they actually *DID* have to be.

You see, most forms of Silat, still being relatively secretive/rare/new in this country, as such have had no "sporting" application or any other attempted yuppification tried with them, and thus remain true martial arts, "martial" meaning warlike, of or pertaining to Mars, Roman god of war.

As such, takedowns in Silat are functionally different from takedowns in, say, modern Judo, Aikido, Sambo or many modern forms of Jujutsu, or equivalent styles.
They aren't designed like those in styles like those listed, where in many cases someone can throw you or take you down at full speed with full intention and the person can simply breakfall or roll out of it.
Silat takedowns, or at least the ones I was shown so far, are all predicated on the premise that come time for you to take them down, you've locked a limb/joint/what have you at such a short, sharp angle that there *IS* no functional "breakfall"-- you just *break*, then you *fall*.:xtrmshock

The class was all adults, and so we dealt with adult material( I had *never* before this night been in a school where on my very first night one combination we practiced terminated( ha ha) in a neck snap and a takedown--which again, for blatantly obvious reasons, cannot be safely trained at full speed).
Which adult material led me to be grateful that all the adults there were in fact adults--no ego, no sexism, no anything. No one tried to be "better" or try to get cute going a little faster with the neck or joint-sensitive maneuvers--for all that the class was relaxed and we joked companionably with each other we all understood where the limits were.
There was no ego based on rank, in fact in each of the 3 styles taught there( Wing Chun, Kali, Silat) there are no formal ranks at all. You either have learned something in the curriculum or you haven't.

This was also the first time I have ever done any work related to a form, and then as we worked through a form the teacher was able to explain EXACTLY to me what the purpose of this movement was, and then showed us a self defense application with it, and who understood the DIFFERENCE between the way one moves in a form and the way one moves defensively.
In fact I'm now almost totally convinced that the whole argument between MMA/TMA is misunderstood--what MMAists are actually critical of are not true TMA but McDojos. ( true TMAs are pissed at them too because they directly give them their current bad rep).
And then the last 10 minutes of the class.We went over a different substyle of Silat called Harimau (":tiger").

I have given a new name to pain, and that name is spelled H-A-R-I-M-A-U.

Apparently this substyle came about in Sumatra, in areas where the ground was sloped, uneven and always wet.And so an upright stance with just two feet is less than ideal.

Picture poor out of shape Andy doing all of these stances, strikes, rolls and takedown sort of things all the while with his *** no more than a foot or so off the ground.
I shouldda brought my other legs.
They hurt too much to comfortably bend my knees for the whole next day. I hadn't felt so good in years.
You could say I like the place.:supcool:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Excellent. Now that you've tasted the difference, I sincerely hope you are incapable of returning to fast-food MA. Pencak Silat has been the source of 2 extremes for me: Some of the most unlikely and silly moves I've ever seen, and some of the deadliest moves I've ever seen. Yet always have the people been kind, and open for unbiased discussion and exploration.

It sounds like you've found a great school. Train hard, enjoy it well, and eventually your thighs will catch up to holding your heiny so low to the ground.

Regards,

Dave

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When you do find something different...and realize what you where learning before is not as intense as "Pencak-Silat"...it becomes a BIG thing for you.

Pencak-Silat is very intense in the attacks..no-nonsense self-defense...never took-it ,but watch it many times (classes/seminars).

Our Kempo training does the same thing/train almost the same way...not as much bone/neck breaking....but is alvailable to us if it is for every attack/defense...No limits...but our Professor always say not to take a life!

Many styles teaches the same thing...but maybe not as violently as Pencak-slilat....Glad you found something that excites you!!!

Enjoy the new art you have found....learning is endless.....Aloha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you've found a school that offered you exactly what you were looking for in terms of quality, effectiveness, and also is providing you with a good workout!:)

Over time, I'm sure the soreness will not be as bad.

Mike

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Andy,

Welcome to the Silat family! I think you will find that there are MANY wonderful people in the community. I have had the pleasure of training with several Silat Instructors and they have all been very humble, helpful and amazing!

The Art itself is beautiful but so efficient. I have had the opportunity to cross-train in several arts (still do) and Silat is an unparralled marriage of effectiveness and efficientcy.

You are right about the throws. They are insidiously effective and almost impossible to break out of and usually end in a lethal technique. My personal favorite is Peuter Kapala.. I am sure you will get introduced to it! *grin*

Good Luck and enjoy the trainig.

ROb

PS.. They legs will get better.. But yes.. Harimau is EVIL!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great experence. Keep us informed on your training.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy,

Your description of your time in class has me rolling on the floor with laughter. I am so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for putting a smile on my face and please keep us informed of your progress. I patiently await another installment of "I wish I brought my other legs" :D

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
...but it's a *good* kind of pain, right? :ultracool

I'm glad that you found a place to train. Looking forward to hearing more about it. :D

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Keep up the good work. You will love the results. BTW I named my first cat Harimau, and he lived up to it to his last day. PEACE

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the Silat family bud.

Don't worry about learning or absorbing everything at once...because you wont. I really loved Silat when I was taking it... So pragmatic and all the moves actually were for a reason.

I think if that after a couple months you will get used to the idea of breaking, joint manipulation and "cheating".

If that was your first class and you went over that form...you are a lucky guy. Usually takes a while to get to that particular slice of hell.

However...what is really going to blow your mind is when you put a training blade in your hand. Every technique, form, practice and move you do will translate directly to being armed or unarmed. You can use a knife in any of your moves at any part...that part will blow your mind.

Favorite technique..... I would say limb destruction. Not so much a form or anything, as a technique of feeding punchs or other attacks into your elbows. Most arts push the punch away on a blow, but you will soon learn that in Silat you learn the play the averages a lot. You direct or "feed" the punches into your elbow to injure/break the hand of your attacker and minimize the chances of that being a threat. Ahhh, I love silat....sooo much.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just hang in there. We were all beginners at one time (and once we learn we realize we are always beginners).

Good luck with your training.

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks everyoen for your encouraging responses!

It gets better:

Three main arts I had narrowed down were Kali, Silat and if I could find it, Wing Chun, being nearsighted and all of those arts reputed to work well in grappling/trapping range.

Guess what's taught here?

Monday is Wing Chun/Kuntao, Tuesday is Kali, Thursday is Silat, Saturday is an open mix.

I stumbled upon the school by pure chance after joining up here.

If that ain't fate I dunno what is!

So last night I got my taste of the Chinese MA part of the school's curriculum.

We started by warming up for 45-60 min. with Qigong. I had never tried this before. This was an interesting experience for me: Being generally of a more scientific than mystical bent, I hadn't yet made any decision as to where I stood with regard to the existence of Ki/Chi/Qi/Prana/Pneuma/Internal energy.

And yet, did not my younger days researching Medieval/Renaissance MA teach me that "absence of proof is not proof of absence"? And is it not established that the human body does run on miniscule electrochemical impulses?

Hmm......

Well--whether it's some form of neurolinguistic programming, or whether certain breath/isometric/slow movement patterns are simply so out of the norm for daily movement that they still tire one out from use, or whether Internal energy is, in fact, the universe-supporting life force it is supposed to be, the end results are enough *like* Qi/Chi/Ki that the exercises are worth doing, because I CAN report this much: I've never felt so tired and sweated so much from just standing in a single spot.

Next was Kuntao. This was pure, unadulterated, bare bones kung fu( it's quite commonly found in Indonesia and the Philippines nowadays as well). again, we went through one form which was like 20 seconds long( something else you don't see too much of nowadays) and just enough to give you the principles, then we were shown applications of that as well.

Then came some Wing Chun.

Of everything I've experienced there thus far, this is likely to be the hardest for me. Me having once boxed, this different method of using my hands seemed almost counteruintuitive; it isn't like other styles where it doesn't matter if your hand is a little higher or lower, or your feet planted a little different--since the power on your side and the targets on theirs are all situated at your centerline, everything must be positioned to protect that centerline at all times you use these techniques( the elbows are trickiest).

BUT--of particular use to me from *this* training will be the sensitivity drills--basically you learn to stick to their hands and thus gauge their next move/where their energy is going/wants to go.

I'm starting to feel the stylistic "synergism" i suspected would be there--the parriews in Wing Chun are not all so far different from thos eI n Silat and the senssitivity drills will make BOTH better.

This will be of particular importance to poor nearsighted Andy if some Very Unfortunate Person attacks him and knocks his glasses off--no more 20/40 vision? No problem, we'll switch off to my Radar Hands of Implosion (TM)

Tonight's Kali Night!

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Highlights of Tuesday night's Kali class:

Normally, when I think "kail/Arnis?Escrima"(They are often used interchangeably when referring to FMA, I merely use Kali since this school uses that name--it's the easiest for me to say correctly anyway) I think "Stick work". Turns out only the last 45 minutes of the 3 hour class was stick work--Kali has an unarmed component all its own and this was my first true look at it.

Of particular interest was the concept of "limb destruction"--rather than merely block and counter an incoming attack, one simply and directly attacks the incoming blow itself, checking or parrying in such a way as to injure the offending appendage on thr first pass. I saw parries, limb destructions and jointlocks up the wah-zoo, and I was very surprised to see a fair amount of groundfighting as well--it had its own variants of guard-and-mount positions that would almost not look out of place in an MMA-style class.

Once again I was able to witness the instructor demonstrate the "flow" I was talking about--the techniques were not just merely "If he does X then you do Y" and that's all--he showed us with a senior student on the ground howe as the situation changes you could go from one move into another while they rolled---it was worth going to this class just to see him pretzelize this student so many ways in so short a space of time like I ain't *never* seen before.

Then tonight was Silat again.

Again it was interesting to go through more form movements and then have the hidden applications drilled afterwards. There is a clear distinction made between movement fot self-*perfection* and that for self-*protection* and both are there.

PROGRESS. Only a week I been at this stuff and this time I made it thru the class, end-of-class Harimau segment and all, with no pain in my legs whatsoever--merely that pleasant, mild difficulty you get walking down stairs to let you know you had a good workout.

Between all three clases I like the Kali and the Silat best. Yeah, I'm pretty much hooked right now.:)

Latest Discussions