What about your

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was ask today by a student about, mind set after a lost in a big tournament. My response was the same as always, I feel great weather I win or loose the match. I mean me personally I believe I won every match, the referee's caused me to loose, they never ever see all those points.
Just kidding
I just want to see your responses to this question?
Terry

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tell my students it doesn't matter if they win or lose - it matters whether or not they learn anything. Winning is great, but I'd rather they learned something and lost, than won and didn't learn anything.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey said:
I tell my students it doesn't matter if they win or lose - it matters whether or not they learn anything. Winning is great, but I'd rather they learned something and lost, than won and didn't learn anything.

Kacey I tell the same but what about mind set how do you help them learn these aspect to there training?
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've trained in both types of schools.... Type A= Loosing is not a word we use. We're the best & train to be the best. If, at the end of the day our hand isn't raised, we work harder next time & don't talk about this day too much.

Type B= We train hard, but when we go to a tournament, we try our best. Win or loose, we get something out of the experience.

Both styles have merit. Obviously (or maybe not obvious to some) no one should ever be belittled for loosing in either type of school.

My experience in the Type A school was that we students got recognized at events more, because of our reputation for winning. In the type B school, we didn't put much stock in tournaments. We went & had fun.

I think its important that kids know that, while they're there to compete, they also need to have fun doing it. And at the end of the day, win loose or draw, their whole life isn't defined by what did on the mat on any given Saturday at a tournament. Heck, even Arlene Limas graduated from law school after her Gold Medal in '88.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Iceman made some great points about not letting a loss become a point of shame or belittlement. We are very proud of all our students that competed because they had the guts to get in there and try and that is a very important life lesson in itself.

We also view successes and failures in tournaments as opportunities to teach another equally important principle which is that your degree of success in any endeavor is directly proportional to the amount of effort you have put into it. We had students that worked hard, trained hard and were rewarded with excellent matches and in most cases, first or second places. We had other students that did not put in as much effort and did not fare as well. We are proud of all of them, but we hope that they begin to see the correlation between effort invested and the success realized.

No one really likes to loose. Winning feels better than loosing but you usually learn more from loosing and realizing your short-comings and working hard to overcome them next time.

Rob

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If a person whines over a loss and makes excuses Then that person truely lost not ontl the fight but the reason they lost. And if a student comes back bragging they won and spoke of how they won this and that way. They really lost because they saw there self better then others. A win is a win a loss the same. Each should make you better or teach you something. Point tournements is a mear game of tag to whom the first person to score makes the points. Contact you have more pressure more skill needed to achive the win. And you still have to learn from each win or each loss. Winning makes you feel better a loss makes you feel bad. That simple. But you still go on train to do your best and you need no excuses If you won it was because you traine hard enough and was lucky enough that day to get your tools working If you lost you should have trained better and then could have possibly put your tools to better use Or the other person was just more prepared that day. What counts is how you train how you can apply learn from what can make you better

Latest Discussions