So, help me "Escape From NY".

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Reasons for Texas are many. I liked what I saw there, the economy's a bit better, the people were pretty friendly, and there's a lot of opportunity for me and my soon to be wife. Given my eyes, I need to live somewhere with a fair humidity level, and I'm also looking for a cost of living close to what I'm used to. With most of my photography being outdoors, the longer summer means more shoot time, and I seem to work better in hot than cold. There's alot of other nice areas around the country, but for now, TX is the destination.
Look seriously at San Antonio. Austin is a great city, but has grown too much too fast. The traffic is terrible and the infrastructure abysmal. San Antonio is a great city, too. Close enough to Austin that you can drive there for a nice day trip or occassionally for business.

The cost of living is cheaper in San Antonio, as well. Or you can split the difference in a place like Cibilo. I spent the first 13 years of life in Texas as well as time there in the military. My parents lived there for many years, too. If I could do my job there, I'd consider moving, too.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Aside from the fact that I'm a music journalist so living in Nebraska would effectively take me out of the my field? Not much, just that as a musician and journalist there are certain cities that are better for work. New York, LA, Boston, Nashville, New Orleans. Outside of those I might as well be interviewing bar bands.
Seattle has a very healthy music scene and always has. :D

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats wrong with Nebraska?
Maybe you're there? ;)

Bob put a lot of thought and time into deciding where he wanted to move.

I'm going to encourage everyone who reads these forums regularly to skip a few lattes or sodas or even a single pizza with all the toppings and pony up. A supporting membership isn't even two dollars a month. A 16 oz soda runs about a buck-fifty or so. Skip a single soda month, and you've probably achieved it.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Look seriously at San Antonio. Austin is a great city, but has grown too much too fast. The traffic is terrible and the infrastructure abysmal. San Antonio is a great city, too. Close enough to Austin that you can drive there for a nice day trip or occassionally for business.

The cost of living is cheaper in San Antonio, as well. Or you can split the difference in a place like Cibilo. I spent the first 13 years of life in Texas as well as time there in the military. My parents lived there for many years, too. If I could do my job there, I'd consider moving, too.

I was about to say the same thing, I've heard nothing but raves about San Antonio. Back when I was with Citibank I had to travel there briefly to check a satellite office, and I seriously didn't want to come back :) Good food, beautiful city, great weather too. If you're really going all the way to Texas, I think San Antonio should get serious consideration.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're looking at the San Antonio-Austin area over all, hoping to get back for a week or 2 to really check out various areas. I lean towards SA, she's more Austin, but we're also liking Kyle and Buda right now.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wasn't easy. The allergy crept up on me slowly. The older I get, the stronger it gets.

I hear ya, I made in 30 years in Minnesnowta before I fled. Bob, if you don't mind me asking, how did you arrive at 30,000 K? I moved "overseas" for less then that. Perhaps by changing some assumptions you could cut that and make the move sooner?

Here's the thing, it's easy to start low when you are willing to work and make things happen fast. I pretty much got rid of 75% of my stuff when I moved and I'm already on the rebound as in things are pretty stable. Just wondering...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Need to find multiple pet friendly living. So far, every apartment I check out online has a 2 pet limit (we have 3), wants them declawed (I don't believe in that), and wants huge per pet deposits.

We're liquidating as much as we can, but we're hanging on to a few things (books, dvds, swords, home office stuff). So moving's going to be a few grand.

I'm also wanting 6 months rent/living exp. on hand to allow for the current economic issues and possible longer run finding work. Plus, I need to move 2 businesses.

Add to it my "unemployability". Injuries limit what jobs I can take, my PC skills aren't "current" (no experience with windows 2003, or vista, or newer macs, or current hardware). I'm hoping to find a position as a photographer while working to open my own studio, or a coffee house, and she's looking for management level work. I'm not opposed to taking a crack at management or going back to hell desk (though I'd rather not). Getting a reliable car once there, would also open up other possibilities.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
In some industries, anything outside LA or NYC is bad.

Me, I need lots of sun, lack of snow, and lots of open land. That eliminates a lot of the US.

Not KS, for the most part. We don't get a lot of snow and decent sun. And there is not much else here but land.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My college-student son likes it in San Antonio...of course, he has me paying for it for him.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like that idea. How can I get you paying for my move dude? :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But I'm cheap to feed. Pizza and cola. :D

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you addicted to big cities? Texas has a lot of options in the middle sized places where you can make a living and dont need to spend 2K on an apartment.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want an acre of land, running water, electric, sewer and preferably gas to cook with. Trees are nice.

Latest Discussions