Singing the National Anthem

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree that people should not be required to stand and place their hand over their heart, etc. That being said, I do believe that those who do not want to take part in the anthem should at least be quiet and show respect for those who do. I don't think it is too much to ask that they be considerate of others for a minute or maybe two.

James

well, I don't care where you place your hand, but standing up is an international show of respect. It's common courtesy, showing you were not raised in a barn!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Considering also that freedom means freedom to not show respect. I'm not referring to the church group here, but in general. If one is required to show respect to their nation, that's not respect, and if it's enforced, it's not freedom.

What kind of ingrate doesn't love their own country? I don't know. But certain a free country can tolerate not being loved or respected by some citizens.

I know I don't ever want to find myself in a country where the National Anthem requires respect "or else," nor do I want to find myself in a country where national pride is conflated with notions of worship. I love my country, I've served my country, I have great respect for my country. I won't worship my country, and there are times when I think the "Love it or you should have your citizenship revoked and be tossed out like the scum you are" attitude goes a bit far in that direction.

I also need to ask: how did the singing of the national anthem at sporting events become the definition of patriotic?

Sing or don't sing, stand during the singing or not, remove your hat or not, I don't see it as more or less patriotic to do or not to do.

If someone ignores it while it is sung, that doesn't make him unpatriotic. It's simplistic to think that it does.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also need to ask: how did the singing of the national anthem at sporting events become the definition of patriotic?

Sing or don't sing, stand during the singing or not, remove your hat or not, I don't see it as more or less patriotic to do or not to do.

If someone ignores it while it is sung, that doesn't make him unpatriotic. It's simplistic to think that it does.

I have no idea how come a little league game has to be opened with the anthem...

I suppose it's a hold over from international competition.

However, there are basic manners, standing upon any anthem being played is one of them.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no idea how come a little league game has to be opened with the anthem...

I suppose it's a hold over from international competition.

However, there are basic manners, standing upon any anthem being played is one of them.

good manners are reasonable to expect, tho I don't agree that good manners mandates standing during the singing of the anthem at a sporting event.

Causing a disruption or distraction or interruption during the anthem would be poor manners. But I do not think that not standing or otherwise not taking part in the ceremony, constitute poor manners.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since it is a private school, its their call on weather or not they play it or not. What they do is there business, and nothing to do with the Tax payers.

Interesting thought, but a non-private school is STATE run. I'm not aware of any federal schools, colleges, or universities (armed-forces academies, I suppose?) At any rate, those taxpayers are paying on behalf of the State coffers, not federal.

The anthem is federal.

Where's the connection?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
good manners are reasonable to expect, tho I don't agree that good manners mandates standing during the singing of the anthem at a sporting event.

Causing a disruption or distraction or interruption during the anthem would be poor manners. But I do not think that not standing or otherwise not taking part in the ceremony, constitute poor manners.

I guess I am just a tight *** that way, got pissed at my cousin and his wife when they acted the tourist not standing up when the anthem was played.

I don't see the need to play it at every blessed event, but when it's played you get your kiester out of that seat and shut up for the duration.
And it does not matter if it's the US, Chinese, Saudi or Tongan anthem. It's a symbol of the nation, like the flag, to be treated with respect.

(I know, that makes me a commy fascist)