Indiana College Not Playing National Anthem At Sporting Events

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Visiting fans who attend a basketball game, or any sporting event, at Goshen College this season may be surprised by the patriotic song they hear over the loudspeakers minutes before tipoff.

The Northern Indiana school has decided to play "America the Beautiful" prior to sporting events instead of the "Star-Spangled Banner" because the lyrics better fit the pacifist ideals of a Mennonite campus whose motto is "Healing the World, Peace by Peace."
Adopting "America the Beautiful" is Goshen president James E. Brenneman's attempt to end a debate over the national anthem that has engulfed his school for almost two years.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...playing-the-national-anthem-?urn=ncaab-wp4428

Unpatriotic? :idunno: They are playing "America the Beautiful" which, has long been in my opinion should be the national anthem because it sings what's best about this country. The Star Spangled Banner does speak also of what's best about this country, preserverence through adversity. Yet it is about a flag and not about the battle for which it was fought (War of 1812). The school is also not playing it because of religious beliefs of pacifism. A majority (58%) of the school are of the Mennonite faith. As a democracy the majority rules ... right?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unpatriotic? :idunno: They are playing "America the Beautiful" which, has long been in my opinion should be the national anthem because it sings what's best about this country. The Star Spangled Banner does speak also of what's best about this country, preserverence through adversity. Yet it is about a flag and not about the battle for which it was fought (War of 1812). The school is also not playing it because of religious beliefs of pacifism. A majority (58%) of the school are of the Mennonite faith. As a democracy the majority rules ... right?

Sounds good to me.
besides...they get to hear the Star Spangled Banner every other place...(and yet, so many people can't sing it nor know the lyrics....tells you how much they listen....)

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sounds good to me.
besides...they get to hear the Star Spangled Banner every other place...(and yet, so many people can't sing it nor know the lyrics....tells you how much they listen....)

I had to Wiki America the Beautiful to remember the opening lines; for some reason they escaped me.

I see no reason for controversy. If America the Beautiful is more appropriate a song for the college than the Star-Spangled Banner, so be it; same level of patriotism in having the song played. Only reason to object would be xenophobic jingoism.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In October of 2001 I went to the movies, they played America the Beautiful. They edited out the line "God shed his grace on thee."

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
36 U.S.C. § 301 The Star Spangled Banner is the National Anthem by law. Nowhere, however, in the law is it required to be played by colleges.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that determining one's patriotism based on what song is played before school sporting events is a silly yardstick. I would have no problem at all if the practice of playing the Anthem or any other song were eliminated altogether. As a measure of patriotism, it's meaningless.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that determining one's patriotism based on what song is played before school sporting events is a silly yardstick.

No sillier than using the wearing of a flag pin, and far less silly than unconditional support of governmental war, spying and torture, as yardsticks of patriotism. What happened to all that freedom of conscience and love of liberty? What good is patriotism if it consists of adherence to empty rituals and the unconditional support of horrific and destructive government actions? If that is what being a patriot requires, then I am no patriot.

Considering that the choice was made for religious reasons, you would think our lovers of liberty and religious values would respect that. Of course, when religious values require someone to oppose war or torture, then suddenly those religious values aren't worth respecting.

We could do with a lot more Society of Friends and a lot less Southern Baptist in our culture.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No sillier than using the wearing of a flag pin, and far less silly than unconditional support of governmental war, spying and torture, as yardsticks of patriotism. What happened to all that freedom of conscience and love of liberty? What good is patriotism if it consists of adherence to empty rituals and the unconditional support of horrific and destructive government actions? If that is what being a patriot requires, then I am no patriot.

Considering that the choice was made for religious reasons, you would think our lovers of liberty and religious values would respect that. Of course, when religious values require someone to oppose war or torture, then suddenly those religious values aren't worth respecting.

We could do with a lot more Society of Friends and a lot less Southern Baptist in our culture.

you won't find me disagreeing with you here.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Only reason to object would be xenophobic jingoism.

And what's wrong with that?

There's an "urban legend" that during the Battle of The Bulge in WWII when English speaking German infiltrators - specifically trained to act like sloppy American GIs - were exposed by Army MPs as spies when asked to sing the SECOND verse (stanza) of The Star Spangled Banner.

For no average American knows it - never mind the THIRD or FOURTH VERSES.

Of more importance how can Christina María Aguilera complete her comeback tour if all these places stop playing the Star Spangled Banner?

Mennonites eh, what about singing GOD BLESS AMERICA - oh too religious?

THEY NEED TO ASK THEMSELVES - WHAT WOULD BISHOP FUNK DO??

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Please, the star spangled banner is way better. It has heart. It speaks to American determination and resolve.

They both have heart, really. One is a moving, emotionally rousing song about determination and pride, the other a more calming, sublime song describing America's natural majesty and splendor. One is the thirteen arrows, the other the olive branch. Clearly, SSB is the preferable for the beginning of a sports game, but if this particular college sees AtB as the more fitting choice, I see no reason to get up in arms.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that determining one's patriotism based on what song is played before school sporting events is a silly yardstick. I would have no problem at all if the practice of playing the Anthem or any other song were eliminated altogether. As a measure of patriotism, it's meaningless.
I'd be happy with any song played by... America. LOL