Yeah, integrating mexican nationals into U.S.:

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
the american soccer team was booed by the home crowd...in los angeles...as the los angelinos cheered the home team...mexico...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0626-plaschke-gold-cup-20110626,0,7072114.column

/From the article:

t was imperfectly odd. It was strangely unsettling. It was uniquely American.

On a balmy early Saturday summer evening, the U.S soccer team played for a prestigious championship in a U.S. stadium … and was smothered in boos.

Its fans were vastly outnumbered. Its goalkeeper was bathed in a chanted obscenity. Even its national anthem was filled with the blowing of air horns and bouncing of beach balls.

Photos: Gold Cup final

Most of these hostile visitors didn't live in another country. Most, in fact, were not visitors at all, many of them being U.S. residents whose lives are here but whose sporting souls remain elsewhere.

Welcome to another unveiling of that social portrait known as a U.S.-Mexico soccer match, streaked as always in deep colors of red, white, blue, green … and gray.

The only bright spot to this is that soccer isn't really a sport, so it doesn't really count...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the american soccer team was booed by the home crowd...in los angeles...as the los angelinos cheered the home team...mexico...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0626-plaschke-gold-cup-20110626,0,7072114.column

/From the article:

t was imperfectly odd. It was strangely unsettling. It was uniquely American.

On a balmy early Saturday summer evening, the U.S soccer team played for a prestigious championship in a U.S. stadium … and was smothered in boos.

Its fans were vastly outnumbered. Its goalkeeper was bathed in a chanted obscenity. Even its national anthem was filled with the blowing of air horns and bouncing of beach balls.

Photos: Gold Cup final

Most of these hostile visitors didn't live in another country. Most, in fact, were not visitors at all, many of them being U.S. residents whose lives are here but whose sporting souls remain elsewhere.

Welcome to another unveiling of that social portrait known as a U.S.-Mexico soccer match, streaked as always in deep colors of red, white, blue, green … and gray.

The only bright spot to this is that soccer isn't really a sport, so it doesn't really count...

Yeah these are the same folks that hung an American flag below the Mexican flag... deport them I say... find out their citizenship and deport them for violating the oath they took to support and defend the Constitution of the U.S. against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Send them back if they don't want to follow the oath they took.
Send them back.

Oh, it's just a soccer match. Right... just a game.

Nevermind.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah these are the same folks that hung an American flag below the Mexican flag... deport them I say... find out their citizenship and deport them for violating the oath they took to support and defend the Constitution of the U.S. against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Send them back if they don't want to follow the oath they took.
Send them back.

Oh, it's just a soccer match. Right... just a game.

Nevermind.

Born in East LA....

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
This part of the story sums it up.

""We're not booing the country, we're booing the team," Sanchez said. "There is a big difference."

Mexico soccer fans have long since proven to be perhaps the greatest fans of any sports team that plays in this country, selling out venues from here to Texas to New Jersey, dwarfing something like Red Sox Nation, equaling any two SEC football fan bases combined."

Considering that most Americans don't follow soccer and more over many flat out don't like it and they themselves don't root for the American Soccer team. So much of America hasn't embraced the sport, so then who really cares?

I grew up as a kid playing soccer. Blocked in Soccer as a sophmore in high school in the '70's. Being someone who grew up with the sport alongside my martial arts I find it disappointing how America hasn't embraced this "world" sporting event.

There are a lot of sports I don't follow, but I don't complain about them either.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the record, I'm born 3rd gen American and as a kid my team was the German team, my favorite player was Pele from Brazil and as an adult my team has always been Spain.
icon7.gif

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the record, I'm born 3rd gen American and as a kid my team was the German team, my favorite player was Pele from Brazil and as an adult my team has always been Spain.
icon7.gif

Kid in the 70s, with Germany as favorite team?

Ah...Beckenbauer, Breitner, dang, I never thought i'd forget the goaly's name...Sepp Meyer...

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Got news for you, same thing happens when any team plays. Soccer loyalties run deep, and more often than not, nth generation still root for the old country. It's not a Mexican thing.

Latest Discussions