Young Girl's Rendention Of National Anthem Deemed Wrong

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know the yoddles had an actual name.

A single syllable sung as a group of notes.

"Yodeling" -the movement of singing from the chest register to the head register and back-is something else entirely:

[yt]0qQD1AmHKyA[/yt]

:lfao:

Haven't found anyone "yodeling" the anthem yet, but there's bound to be someone. Karen is quite right about how difficult it is to sing, too....

The tune comes from an 17th century British drinking song, ya know...To Anacreaon in Heaven

Last edited:
OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

"Yodeling" -the movement of singing from the chest register to the head register and back-is something else entirely:

Yeah... and thank you for that Kaufman memory. Shaking my head... the funniest thing about the man was... he actually took himself seriously when doing those hilarious skits. Definitely ahead of his time.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Yeah... and thank you for that Kaufman memory. Shaking my head... the funniest thing about the man was... he actually took himself seriously when doing those hilarious skits. Definitely ahead of his time.

Love and miss Andy Kaufman almost as much as I do Richard Pryor, and more than Sam Kinison...though not much!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

[yt]0qQD1AmHKyA[/yt]

Haven't found anyone "yodeling" the anthem yet, but there's bound to be someone. Karen is quite right about how difficult it is to sing, too....

The tune comes from an 17th century British drinking song, ya know...To Anacreaon in Heaven

It still is a drinking song, with fairly rude words!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
So this would apply to Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix and several others who were not castigated for their versions?
(not challenging you, just asking :asian: )

Yes, while I can appreciate the talent etc. in the rearrangement of the national anthem. I don't want it performed like that at the beginning of a game/event where it is supposed to be the national anthem. If they want to perform it in their own concert as a part of their set, I really don't have an issue with it to highlight and pay respects in their own way.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to say that I really don't get the controversy on this one. It was a nice rendition and didn't stray to far from the original. You can certainly say that you don't care for it, but to say it's disrespectful is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Not trying to make this a race thing, but more of a musical genre thing, but for those of you that have a problem with this girls "version", I have to ask what about this one:

Honestly, I liked most of it, but not the parts where she changed it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I thought it was fine. Not great but certainly not disrespectful. She's ateenager with a nice voice. My preference is to do without the gratuitous runs, but I try to distinguish between things I don't like subjextively, and things that are wrong objectively. Intentionally singing out of key and messing up words ala roseanne barr: wrong. Adding runs and avoiding notes too low to sing in key doesn't qualify as wrong to me.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, On The Rocks christened the new multi-squillion dollar Matt Knight Arena with the anthem at its first game. They're local heroes, so people are ecstatic to hear them sing whatever they want. I think they did a great job though.

Ultimately, I think it's a question of whatever makes audience members and the athletes happy. There is no logical reason to perform the anthem before games, it's just a tradition. So if communities want to customize it for their own cultures and purposes, I don't see anything more wrong with that than with eating green eggs and ham on Christmas morning.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was her age, I also started performing in public at school events. That was also around the time when I started receiving criticism for my music instead of the same old you're-so-talented pat on the head that I received as a younger child.

Personally I think the criticism piled on her (in the article) is a bit over the top. There's nothing magical about giving direction to a student musician. If you want them to sing the anthem in a more traditional fashion, you ask them to sing the anthem in a more traditional fashion. Going on and on about how it was unrecognizable, and it disrespected those who have served makes it look like like there's something more personal there than a simple artistic disagreement. I can see where concerns of racism are brought up.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
re: OP

RANT. on melisma.

that little girl thinks singing is nothing but a constant stream of melisma.
I blame Mariah Carey, Beyonce and, oh yeah, Whitney... too damn much melisma !!

LOL. Reminds me of an NPR interview with some obscure (well, I'd never heard of her) R&B singer. The interviewer noted that she was unusual in that she didn't use a lot of the melisma that was so popular nowadays and asked why that was.

Her response: "Because I can sing."
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions