simply the TRUTH!

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Irvin for saying what so many won't say. Here is an honest guy sharing truth just because he believes it is the right thing to do. Not only do I completely agree with him, it has been my life's experience as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying this. Lot of wisdom here. Thanks for posting it.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, great honest straight talk.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wait he said that his kungfu did not help him.

So lets go over this a little bit.

He said Qinna helped him. Well guess what Qinna is one area of Kungfu. You really can not learn Qinna as a seperate art it is part of Kungfu styles.
So yes, his Kungfu helped him if he used a specific Qinna technique that he learned from a specific style.

Many arts he mention do cover weapons. Judo has the Kodokan Goshinjutsu that deals with weapons.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wait he said that his kungfu did not help him.

So lets go over this a little bit.

He said Qinna helped him. Well guess what Qinna is one area of Kungfu. You really can not learn Qinna as a seperate art it is part of Kungfu styles.
So yes, his Kungfu helped him if he used a specific Qinna technique that he learned from a specific style.

Many arts he mention do cover weapons. Judo has the Kodokan Goshinjutsu that deals with weapons.

He has the correct of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD. Please excuse typos & brevity of posts.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm, I guess I'll be the dissenting voice, then.

Frankly, what he's saying is exactly what I've been saying for years (everything in it's context), so it's hardly a revelation. But even in that, Irvin needed to have it explained to him? The best I can see is that, despite having a range of arts in his background, all he'd ever done is go from drinking one kool aid to another flavour. Additionally, the story the elder gave him is filled with misunderstandings and blatant errors (kicking people off horses? Does he seriously believe that old wives tale? As far as the take on what BJJ is for, that misses the point as well... then the FMA story? Once more, simplified to the point of inaccuracy). And honestly, I'm not impressed with the knowledge of someone sho thinks "kung fu" is a single martial art, and doesn't have a clue about what he was learning there (in reference to the quin-na, and more). And seriously don't get me started on his "Japanese Quin-na" story...

When it comes to his take on self defence, it's not terrible, but there's still quite a few gaps. And while I'm very happy that things worked out well for him in his invasion, what he did was incredibly dangerous, as (by his words), he moved as the gun was being pointed towards where his wife and son were... I hope they understand what he did there. Additionally, his take on the various arts is based almost entirely on the physical aspects, and as such, his view of each and every one of them is very limited and flawed, as demonstrated by his list of what "didn't help him" and what did. Bluntly, he didn't get what he was being told, and doesn't get how to train things to adapt them. Any one of the things he said "didn't help" could have helped as much as the ones that did. He seems to be presenting the idea that you need to train for every single possibility and eventuality, even though that's an impossibility (such as the idea of training a gun disarm for 20 years but having nothing when it comes to knife defence).

Honestly, his reality needs a reality check as he's missed the point.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with his basic premise, but gave up watching when he talked about high kicks being used to knock people off horses. Slightly ironic to bring out every hackneyed cliche about the martial arts to tell the truth

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, some of the Ancient Anecdotes were not really accurate but the core message was still a sensible one at the end of the day. It all boils down to what people do martial arts for really and the more realistic their expectations of what both their art and they can do the better for them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with his basic premise, but gave up watching when he talked about high kicks being used to knock people off horses. Slightly ironic to bring out every hackneyed cliche about the martial arts to tell the truth

You could probably kick someone off a horse if he were on a Shetland pony :) though the rider's roller skates might give him and advantage.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aye, some of the Ancient Anecdotes were not really accurate but the core message was still a sensible one at the end of the day. It all boils down to what people do martial arts for really and the more realistic their expectations of what both their art and they can do the better for them.

Honestly, I think he missed the core message itself, by doing exactly what he did with everything else, which is drink the kool aid. With each of his previous arts, he could only see it as being the "right/best" martial art. After all, he says that he "knew" that MMA/BJJ was "THE best martial art" due to things like the UFC... but when presented with this "new" information (that "every martial art is good for what it was designed for") he's done the exact same thing. He's seeming to have taken it as meaning that there is only one thing that each art is good for only what it was designed for, and nothing else. Basically, he's missed the point that in order to understand an arts strengths and limitations, you need to understand it's context... and then understand the context you are attempting to apply it to in order to see how it needs to be adapted. He's missed the second part entirely, and hasn't gotten the first half. So while, basically, what he's saying isn't too far off, the over-simplification and compartmentalizing that he's done has made his point inaccurate. That's what I was getting at when I said his reality needed a reality check.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Every martial art style is good for what it was created for

While I agree with him (at least for what I watched, it’s along vid and I lost interest), this isn’t a revelation
I’m going to expose everything to be some sort of b*lls**t

Reminds me of enter the dojo J

Latest Discussions