Sifu Benny Meng's Wing Chun University

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Practice what you preach. Don't challenge me and say all these things when it's off-topic and then expect me not to react this way.

He hasnt actually challenged you. He was meaning the challenge post to Geezer that pretty much sounded like you said get your best fighter and I will show you I can kick his ***... I know thats not how you said it but you must agree it kinda sounds that way and he never said anything like that to you so he is practicing what he preaches.

On the other hand I have to agree I didnt originally read the thread as being something that was aimed for feedback and it just sounded like you were sharing what he had found. Theres nothing wrong with that. I actually encourage this.

I think this threads got a bit out of hand now and turning in to a slagigng match and should be closed.

We ALL need to be a bit more open minded. After all we're all friends here right?

OP
C

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
He hasnt actually challenged you.
Well going by standard forum rules, he has challenged me. His posts are very aggressive and I'm instinctively striking back.

He was meaning the challenge post to Geezer that pretty much sounded like you said get your best fighter and I will show you I can kick his ***
So what he means by "Challenge posts" are actual physical challenges? Because we're not talking about that at all. We're talking about aggressive behavior on the internet. To be fair, I'm only defending myself here yet Bob wants to go into all sorts of off-topic stuff which is mainly criticizing me. Who's 'challenging' who?

it just sounded like you were sharing what he had found
That's exactly what I intended. Had we actually gone into a proper discussion in the first place, it would have been very interesting discussion on Lap Sau and Pak Sau and the subtle differences between lineages but instead, it's turned into (in Bob's words) monkeying around imitating martial arts with friends. I also invite Bob to our gathering. If he isn't afraid to get punched in the face. We'll see who the monkey is then.

---

By the way, I want to get this out there. I have NEVER in my LIFE, seen so much hostility within a MA community. Generally any MA community I go into, there are always people welcoming you to the group and be happy to discuss or answer questions. I've been on the most hostile place of them all, Youtube, and nearly every Sifu there has answered or clarified my questions and were a delight to talk to. I've been on many forums for other topics of interest and a lot of them are actually very interesting and have lots of good information and different viewpoints. That's the kind of thing that I want to see here.

Last edited:

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Listen mate Im being a mediator here. Im taking no sides and have no grudge agains you or Bob, but come on a threat of punching someone in the face is not needed. I know your defending yourself but from what? Youre not in danger from people on a web forum.

Everyone just needs to drop it and start on a clean slate. When coffeerox posts dont take in to account past discussions as that just preemts an argument.

I work in a call centre and if we read notes and see that a complaint has been made by a customer in the past we sometimes assume that the call you are about to take is going to be a complaint and get defensive. Were told not to do this and to take every call like a new one.

The same seems to happen here. We have read Coffeerox previous posts and know the outcome of them and we no he self trains so we have assumed the intension of the original post as something other than it is.

People may disagree this has happened but read over it again and the thread has went down a direction that could have taken so many other routes if we hadnt assumed.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ADMIN NOTE:

Folks, We've already generated a few reported posts in this thread. I strongly suggest that everyone read the forum rules, specifically the part on challenges.

Before this thread gets closed and people get banned, return to the topic at hand. If you can't post in a civil fashion, dont post at all!

MJS
MT Asst. Admin

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
That goes against Bruce Lee's idea of putting things into practice to see if it works or not. . . . . . .

It's not cherry picking at all. It's learning the varieties within your style and why those variations exist. There is no "this way" or "that way" you use "no way" as "way". Tan Sau is a Tan Sau, doesn't matter what lineage you are from, there may be MORE ways to use Tan Sau that you haven't thought of, but the more ways you learn to use Tan Sau, in the end, it's just a Tan Sau.

This idea also came from Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do.

Bruce Lee may have used it in his book, but the ideas you're talking about were used in Wing Chun before Bruce ever wrote them down. Many of the concepts Bruce used came from his training in Wing Chun.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a good forum- let's try to keep it that way.The thread really deteriorated which is usually not the case here.
I did not think what I saw of the video(s) as posted particularly striking.

joy chaudhuri

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just because you -think- you are monkeying the movements right, doesn't mean you are. My JKD instructor was anal in correcting every little thing. Hands off by a degree, elbows a quarter inch too wide, stance an inch too wide, etc. My Wing Chun instructor was just as particular in correcting things. My bookshelf is has 4 shelves over flowing with books by some seriously good folks. My video library, huge, and the Youtube bookmarks several thousand long. When I want to train, I find a flesh and blood instructor

you can get into very bad habits by just following a pic or a video-even with the best will in the world and be the most natural athelete....you still gonna need to be "shown" the right way

Tan Sau is a Tan Sau, doesn't matter what lineage you are from, there may be MORE ways to use Tan Sau that you haven't thought of, but the more ways you learn to use Tan Sau, in the end, it's just a Tan Sau.
gonna have to disagree on this one mate.BUT..... its only a tan sau if its done correctly.
for what it is worth.....so many times with the "written/text internet language" things can be misread misunderstood because of inflection of tone -or lack of it,sarcasm cannot be "heard" and so you cannot jump on what you thought the other person "said"....for example in my head you deff disrespected geezer in writing, even if you didnt mean it in that context,and you have to be very careful doing that.
so guys......chill out.
we are all on here to learn....just mytuppence
matsu

OP
C

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
gonna have to disagree on this one mate.BUT..... its only a tan sau if its done correctly.

We're all going to have different opinions so you're welcome to yours. However mine is that Wing Chun gives fewer basic tools but you use the concepts to apply your tools in such that you don't need thousands of techniques to counter thousands of different kinds of attacks. Have you ever heard of Tan Sau Ng?

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sifu Joy Chadhuri I hae been told by a sifu I keep in touch with in L.A. named Dou Wanchun that you're skills are as good as can be and its an honor to have you on this forum to share ideas with us. I am a student of geezer and he is one of the best teachers I have been able to find in the martial arts community of Phoenix and I drive 27 miles one way just to train with him twice a week. Cofferox you're ideas are respected on this forum and no one was trying to attack you even if it seemed so. Making challenges over the internet is going to look wrong to anyone on these forums as we have the same goal as you which is to share ideas about the differences in wing chun and stay updated on ideas and concepts each of us learn. Don't waste so much energy on the internet trying to defend yourself if you feel threatened since you will never meet any of these people in person most likely anyways. Just be respectful because respect is given when it is earned.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
let's try to get this thread back on track.
I don't really have much to say about the clips. There's nothing wrong with them and I'm sure meng sifu is a good practitioner and teacher but nothing special jumps out at me.Then again it's only a short clip, I'd have to see the whole video to make an informed opinion.
I was taught to do bong sau the same way as Mook described with the Wu sau resting on the bong arm. The advantages of this are as Mook described in his post. I've had someone say that doing it like this makes it easier for the oponent to grab your wu sau but as I explained to them, bong sau changes on contact and doesn't stay there waiting to be grabbed so the chances of this hapening are very slim at best.
The only advantage I can think of having the wu sau held further back is that if you were pulled by your opponent, it could help you to regain your own centre and help with facing if you are turned...maybe.
icon12.gif

Maybe someone on here could enlighten me as to the advantages of holding wu sau further back?

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For me learning by video`s is a no no,because i can be slow sometimes and i never get the full reason behind something unless it`s explained to me a good few times or unless my Sifu keeps hiting me till i block right. And i would say it`s because of exp but everyone learns differently i guess some people can pick up little bits from a video and other`s need to be shown.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
let's try to get this thread back on track.
I don't really have much to say about the clips. There's nothing wrong with them and I'm sure meng sifu is a good practitioner and teacher but nothing special jumps out at me.Then again it's only a short clip, I'd have to see the whole video to make an informed opinion.
I was taught to do bong sau the same way as Mook described with the Wu sau resting on the bong arm. The advantages of this are as Mook described in his post. I've had someone say that doing it like this makes it easier for the oponent to grab your wu sau but as I explained to them, bong sau changes on contact and doesn't stay there waiting to be grabbed so the chances of this hapening are very slim at best.
The only advantage I can think of having the wu sau held further back is that if you were pulled by your opponent, it could help you to regain your own centre and help with facing if you are turned...maybe.
icon12.gif

Maybe someone on here could enlighten me as to the advantages of holding wu sau further back?

The Wu Sau's only there for a split second , just enough time to help deflect and then its latching their attacking arm down.

But its really no drama if they try to grab it anyway , we just convert it to a low Bong Sau and now our other hand becomes the Wu Sau.
So basically our arms just change roles and we go straight back into Lap Sau again.

I really can't think of any advantage to having the Wu Sau further back unless maybe your paranoid about getting hit in the throat perhaps.

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree, having the wu sao back tends to be what a person wants to do naturally but in the end it can turn out to be bad form sometimes.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wu Sau;

If I remember correctly I think they hold the Wu Sau back farther to cover the Height range easier, can't say I agree or disagree with it but that's the logic that they utilize. So in this case it's similar to what Mook Jong posted on blocking the throat area or whatnot.

However mine is that Wing Chun gives fewer basic tools but you use the concepts to apply your tools in such that you don't need thousands of techniques to counter thousands of different kinds of attacks. Have you ever heard of Tan Sau Ng?

Haha, coming previously from the lineage that claims Cheung Ng (張五)-Tan Sau Ng I don't think he is your best advocate here considering neither 張五 nor 一塵大師 Yat Cham Dai Si can actually be verified as having existed. But that's not saying much because most people can't even agree if Wong Long existed in the 1600's or not for Northern Mantis.

But the concept of "Tan Sau Ng" is still of use & an interesting piece, regardless of fact or fiction.

"So that being said I would be cautious of any type of information that is being generated as having existed before the 1850's, as really the only evidence we really have of ancestry is during the Hung Suen period".

But I guess there will still be more research to come, hopefully one day we'll have more evidence to substantiate what really happened during the 1600's-1700's for Wing Chun evolution, absent of sale's pitches, marketing & ego boosters. Haha, that would be great!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lovely family the Ng's , and such an easy surname to spell.
There was Tan's twin brother Bong Sau Ng , the sister Fook Sau Ng and their doting parents father Wu and mother Jut.

They had some great parties at their house , but one time Bong rolled up to the party very drunk , Tan didn't like this and said " Listen mate , your really starting to pierce me off"

The party started to run out of beer and Fook said " Hey Bong lend me some cash so I can go buy some more beer".

But Bong , being a real tight **** with money just turned her away and said " Nah , go and ask mum and dad".

She went and asked Wu , but he was even more guarded than Bong with his money.
An argument ensued " You've spent your pay check at the race track again haven't you dad ? " said Fook.

"Stop trying to control me Fook , its my money I'll do what I want with it "
said Wu.

Fook burst into tears , her mother Jut came over to console her daughter ,
" Don't worry about your father , he's just being a jerk " said Jut.

At that moment cousin Huen Sau walked in the front door and said " Look people , stop your petty bickering , go out to the backyard and enjoy the party , its much too beautiful an evening to stay inside cooped up in the house".

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

About Wu Sao...

Surprisingly, Wu Sao is very important for alignment in preparation for many explosive movements. It should hit your chest for best effect, with your index finger right underneath your chin. It aligns your shoulder and hand to generate power for a stamping palm, thrusting Tan Sao and good cover for you chin if need be (specially to intercept it with a short Pak sao).

Easy to demonstrate, hard to do on text. Too many applications. Really improves explosiveness and power. It has significantly improved mine and my students speed, power and explosiveness.

Don't underestimate that little guarding hand...

About the videos... the more the merrier. Yet if it's worth it for you, go ahead and get them. I have reasons of my own not to, which are not personal at all. It is about the execution and the skills being taught.

Hope that helps.