Should someone be allow

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Should someone be allow to teach TKD if they are overwieght? I am not shy about myself so I will use me, I am 5'9" and right now 257 pounds so I am considered obese in today world. I have done everything over my journey and run a successful program I would say, my student compete at a high level and my adults are in pretty good shape. I am this way because of cookies, potato chips and alot of Dr. pepers, ok all kidding a side I take alot of steriods that seem to be helping put on a ton of wieght over they years. I still workout with two of my classes everyday, I am able to do most techs, but again certain high flying kick are grounded mainly because of wieght and bad knees.

I only bring this up because a another instructor told me I was in his view not living the tenets of TKD with me being over wieght? I guess big heavy people are not allowed to do TKD only in shape individuals. What is everyone take on this subject and please who cannot hurt my feelings about anything you can say because I know how I look and I know what I can and cannot do anymore.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should someone be allow to teach TKD if they are overwieght? I am not shy about myself so I will use me, I am 5'9" and right now 257 pounds so I am considered obese in today world. I have done everything over my journey and run a successful program I would say, my student compete at a high level and my adults are in pretty good shape. I am this way because of cookies, potato chips and alot of Dr. pepers, ok all kidding a side I take alot of steriods that seem to be helping put on a ton of wieght over they years. I still workout with two of my classes everyday, I am able to do most techs, but again certain high flying kick are grounded mainly because of wieght and bad knees.

My first formal instructor-and my first art was tae kwon do-was a prison guard with quite a gut-and, while I don't think he weighed as much as you do, it probably wasn't by much, and he was only 5;7". The man could flat out mooove, though, and I don't mean just enough to impress an 11 year old. By the time I was 16, my appreciation of his skills had only increased-and I'd encountered other somewhat rotund athletes along the way-enough to teach me to not judge such books by their covers. There's a couple of guys on the protection force special reaction team (SWAT) at the Lab who are built similarly, and they can flat out run: 8-10 mph for 1/2 hour. Can't even imagine what that's doing to their knees, but one of 'em's a Navajo, and some of them just get that way....

Corticosteroids really suck, but not as much as the alternative. I went off them around the same time because I was entering puberty, and they were trying to turn me into a capon.....sodas, on the other hand, are evil.

I only bring this up because a another instructor told me I was in his view not living the tenets of TKD with me being over wieght? I guess big heavy people are not allowed to do TKD only in shape individuals. What is everyone take on this subject and please who cannot hurt my feelings about anything you can say because I know how I look and I know what I can and cannot do anymore.

The guy was envious, and trying to get at you-you've got a successful program-in spite of your size, to his mind.

Or, he's just a jerk. Ignore him.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

At 5'9 & 257lbs, you're not 'considered obese in today world'; medically, you're considered not just obese, but morbidly obese. Your weight will (if it is not already) lead directly to significant health problems. Obviously, you'd do well to lose a bunch of weight. Equally obviously, if it were easy, you'd not be posting this message, and all the internet advise in the world won't drop a single pound. In fact, you might gain weight while you're sitting at the desk with your cookies & Dr Pepper reading. Certainly, steroids are known to cause weight gain, but it is possible to control that, at least to some extent. I don't know why you're taking them, but you really ought to talk to your PCP about your options. Whatever benefit you're getting from the steroids certainly won't do you much good if the weight gain leads to your being crippled by heart attack or stroke, or even just because the weight makes your bad knees that much worse, that much sooner.

But your weight is a seperate issue from your teaching. Teaching is the passing on of knowledge, and your weight problems don't lessen your knowledge. And the effectiveness of your teaching can best be judged by the results, as demonstrated by your students.

I will say this. One of my sword instructors was a man built much like you. While he didn't move fast for long, his techniques were amazing, his hand speed incredible, and his speed over short distances impressive. His weight certainly didn't keep him from teaching me an awful lot.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:bs:
I always wanted to use that. frankly I don't see weight anywhere in the tenets, not even in the super expanded ITA ones.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The ability to transmit knowledge is what makes a great teacher. There will come a point in all of our lives where our bodies will not be physically able to do the more athletic techniques (540 kicks, flying kicks, etc.). If you are working out and doing what you can to maintain a good condition and 257 is your personal best, then 257 is your personal best. One other question is what is your muscle to fat ratio? I mean, are you built like a chunky Franco Columbu?

I don't really find anything in the tenets that addresses this. I think he's (she's?) using them to support a personal opinion.

Daniel

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as you know your stuff, and can transmit that knowledge, your weight is immaterial.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I take the steriods for my lungs, so I am stuck with them. As far as cookies and stuff been off them since 2008 but they did help get me to this level and higher. I am under DR care about my wieght it comes off and then when the steriods comes again it goes back plus a few more. This is an on going problem no steriods cannot breath in hospital, take steriods and put on mor wieght. man it is a delimma.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with being a teacher even if your physical appearance (and even performance) is least than ideal, so long as you can still transmit the proper information to those who need it.

That said, you are at a disadvantage to someone who has the same level of teaching ability yet can also physically demonstrate also the techniques that you can not. And of course you will probably lost at least some potential students who do use physical appearance as a criterion for picking their school.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I take the steriods for my lungs, so I am stuck with them. As far as cookies and stuff been off them since 2008 but they did help get me to this level and higher. I am under DR care about my wieght it comes off and then when the steriods comes again it goes back plus a few more. This is an on going problem no steriods cannot breath in hospital, take steriods and put on mor wieght. man it is a delimma.
Look, you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Breathing is an immediate thing. If you don't address breathing promptly, you turn blue and bad things happen.

Weight control is a process, and you have external factors affecting that process. I judge an instructor by the quality of his or her students, not by their gender, ethnicity, appearance, or size. An instructor who looks like VanDamme in his prime with a rack of trophies and tons of shirtless posters of himself may look impressive, but if his black belts look like green belts and his green belts look like white belts, I'm going elsewhere.

Daniel

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry I can feel you pal. I'm 6' and 260 pounds, TKD has helped to control my weight and certainly even my weight has not change in the last 3 years my volume does.

Like you, sometimes I wonder how a chuby guy would be sen as a martial arts sensei/sambunim and sometimes this put me down, yes I can't do tornado kicks, yes I can't jump, and yes a fully 1:30 hour cardio tae kwon do is hell for me. Last september knowing my foot issue my sambunim asked me to teach in a new class for adults only as yoiu may know, I feel happy and start teach my students.

I have just one lean student who has no problems but flexibility and a a very fat bookeeper, and offcourse I had some other adult men, when I teach them I saw all but the skiny guy had troubles to endure even 5 minutes of jogin in the mat. Even I am fat my stamina has improved and my flexibility too so did my technike.

These days there are some times I do all the warm up with my students and practiced with them, some other days I only do the warm up and only teach, however I can tell you WEIGHT has nothing to do about teaching and been a good teacher.

Yes I can't do tornado kicks but, I even can teach how to do them to my students and transmit my knowledege to them.

Definetively a good health body helps alot but this is not mandatory, I know some sambunims that are overwight ( 40 years old and beyond) and they still good teachers and are reconized people inside TKD circles in my city.

Manny

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it disqualifies a person, but it should be looked at as an area that could use some improvement. I think it probably inhibits your ability to inspire, and lead in certain situations. When an instructor promotes physical fitness as an important aspect of the art and he's 50 lb. over weight you can see how that might not impress the students very much.

Also, you've been talking about growing your school lately and I gotta tell you from the perspective of someone shopping for a new school a fit and athletic instructor (especially if he's 50's or younger) makes a much better first impression.

*edit* Just to put things in perspective though, look at all the obese and out of shape NFL coaches that are successful.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If it makes you guys feel any better, I can't do a tornado kick either. Jumping spin kicks have never been my forte, though I can do them. Multiple spins? No thank you. Nor can I kick vertically (you know, where there's a straight line from heel to heel as the kicker sidekicks a low flying bird).

If I were in your area, Terry, I'd take lessons from you in a heartbeat!

And weight is not an issue for me. In case anyone wonders what I look like...

Attachments

• $IMG_4497.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 167

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Short answer, in my opinion, you need to be able to effectively teach the techniques. A great football coach doesn't need to be in great shape, and many aren't. :) While it definitely helps to be able to perform the techniques you're teaching, it's not absolutely necessary, and the tacit knowledge you've accumulated over years of training are vital.
Should someone be allow to teach TKD if they are overwieght? I am not shy about myself so I will use me, I am 5'9" and right now 257 pounds so I am considered obese in today world.
A little off topic, but this is something I've found is very misunderstood. MOST people are obese in today's world. If you're a male with over 25% body fat, you're clinically obese. When I started training BJJ 4 years ago, I was about 230 lbs and had a 36" waist. At 26% body fat, I was obese. At 185, I've shaved about 10% body fat and run around at around 16%. I'm pretty happy with that, although 12 or 14% would be better.

I would say that you should, if possible, lose some weight. But the reason should be for your own health and well being, not because some a-hole tells you you're letting the team down (or not living up to the tenets as he sees them). Drop some weight and you'll feel better. Look better in a speedo, too. :)

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
"Judge me by my size do you? It is well that you do not, for my ally is the Force."

Yoda

Terry, the votes that count are your students. What's real is what happens between the time you bow on and off the floor. The rest is just oxygen and carbon dioxide.

Carl

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Should someone be allow to teach TKD if they are overwieght? I am not shy about myself so I will use me, I am 5'9" and right now 257 pounds so I am considered obese in today world.
If you are preaching weight management, or preaching healthy living through eating right...then no. You shouldn't be teaching if you are overweight. However, if you are teaching TKD and you know your stuff, then it is up to you to decide if you are worthy of teaching while being over weight. Why do I say it is your own decision, because at one point I was overweight and I did not feel right try to teach in that matter. So I got back into shape. This was a personal choice. I could still teach when I was overweight.

Now for the upholding the Tenants:
Courtesy - Are you polite when are snatching the bag of chips out of the students hand?
Integrity - Are you being truthful to yourself when you say that triple cheesburger is just going to go to waste if I don't eat it?
Perserverance - Are you patient when waiting for the hot pocket to come out of the microwave?
Self Control - Are you resisting the urge to body check old ladies who take too long at the Old Country Buffet when you are going up for thirds?
Indomitable Spirit - Are you able to outwit the button on your pants when putting on those slacks from last year?

If you answered 'Yes' to all of these, then you are not breaking the tenants and that fellow instructor who told you otherwise better STFU or you will eat him. Now I order you to a glass of eggnog some cookies and go teach a lil' dragons class. :)

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally do not think that the tenants of TKD have any bearing what so ever on weight or weight control. I also think that some times the current BMI calculation height/weight ratio for BMI calculation is BS. It does not accurately determine how much of your actual weight is fat and how much your actual weight is muscle. What bothers me about this the most is that the Medical Community uses this calculation exclusively, and make medical decisions using this, in my opinion, a flawed calculation. I as a student will learn from anyone who knows more about what I do than I do. Young, old, fat, skinny etc. I also feel that if everyone that teaches is athletically gifted, beautiful, and perfect can be off putting to us regular folk. While I appreciate the the dedication and discipline that it requires to do this I think that it can discourage many regular people from taking classes. Us regular people are probably the very ones that need the exercise the most. Keep digging do the best you can and roll on. You will never be able to please everyone any way. If people do not want to take classes from you for the shallow reason of having extra weight on your frame, that is due to a medicine that you are taking, the let them go: they will not get anything that you are trying to teach anyway.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At 5'8" and 167, I have a BMI of 25.4, putting me in the "Overweight" category. While I'd like to be lighter (and thus faster), I don't think most people see me as overweight, and I'm certainly in good physical shape as far as stamina, cardio, and strength.

I also think that having physical limitations can sometimes make a person a better teacher. If everything comes easily to you, you don't have to think about how it works as much, or about how others with physical limitations might best learn a technique.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Short answer, in my opinion, you need to be able to effectively teach the techniques. A great football coach doesn't need to be in great shape, and many aren't. :) While it definitely helps to be able to perform the techniques you're teaching, it's not absolutely necessary, and the tacit knowledge you've accumulated over years of training are vital.A little off topic, but this is something I've found is very misunderstood. MOST people are obese in today's world. If you're a male with over 25% body fat, you're clinically obese. When I started training BJJ 4 years ago, I was about 230 lbs and had a 36" waist. At 26% body fat, I was obese. At 185, I've shaved about 10% body fat and run around at around 16%. I'm pretty happy with that, although 12 or 14% would be better.

I would say that you should, if possible, lose some weight. But the reason should be for your own health and well being, not because some a-hole tells you you're letting the team down (or not living up to the tenets as he sees them). Drop some weight and you'll feel better. Look better in a speedo, too. :)

No speedo even when I was 160 lbs they just do not look good for me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No speedo even when I was 160 lbs they just do not look good for me.

I tried a thong one time, but caused quite a stir on the beach. There was no tag to tell me which side was the back, and I guess I had it on wrong. :D

Latest Discussions