Should I be addressed as Sifu?

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My chinese relatives feel that I should be addressed as Sifu because it is my highest title and I am teaching.

1. Your Sifu made the decision, and of story.

2. Concentrate on training not titles

3. Your chinese relatives? Maybe they can talk to your Sifu on your behalf? My American relatives feel that I should be addressed as jacka$$ because it fits my personality, and I AM teaching.

4. Has it occurred to you to stick with one system and advance to a well deserved rank/title?

5. The students at the school, or whichever school you are training at this week, may misunderstand your new moniker and ask you a question that you are not qualified to answer.

Warmly,
Jamey

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true. I have heard school teachers and music teachers being addressed as Sifu as well. My chinese relatives feel that I should be addressed as Sifu because it is my highest title and I am teaching.
Ah... But it's not YOUR class, and it's not THEIR class. It's your teacher's class. If you don't like the rules -- you have the choice to go elsewhere. But it is his house, and thus his rules.

He doesn't want your fellow students to address you as sifu. That's clear. Maybe he's simply jealous; maybe he's got a lesson about titles he's trying to teach you. I don't know; I don't know him. But, again, you seem awful hung up on a title. Maybe you should give that some thought...

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What art(s) are you currently studying? "Primary Art and Ranking Kajukenbo - 2nd DanN. Praying Mantis - 1st Brown SashAKKI Kenpo - Purple10th Planet JJ - White"
Hey I know everyone is different but you look like a belt collector to me- Many systems start to get REALLY good and juicy at Nidan, s why dabble so much?

As a side note, you mentioned the reason for wanting to be addressed as SIfu was your recent Krav certification, why not list that as a primary art? What about your Kaju? Does Nidan not= Sifu?

Just trying to understand your view--

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What art(s) are you currently studying? "Primary Art and Ranking Kajukenbo - 2nd DanN. Praying Mantis - 1st Brown SashAKKI Kenpo - Purple10th Planet JJ - White"
Hey I know everyone is different but you look like a belt collector to me- Many systems start to get REALLY good and juicy at Nidan, s why dabble so much?

As a side note, you mentioned the reason for wanting to be addressed as SIfu was your recent Krav certification, why not list that as a primary art? What about your Kaju? Does Nidan not= Sifu?

Just trying to understand your view--

Wow! I need to update. Kajukenbo I have not trained in since 1996. I know it seems I have dabbled and it seems like I am just a belt collector, but in reality it is because of me moving from place to place and finding something that was similar to what I have already been training in. Right now, I do both Krav and Kung Fu. I am mostly teaching krav right now. Nidan in Kajukenbo is Sibok. Sandan is Sifu.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I need to update. Kajukenbo I have not trained in since 1996. I know it seems I have dabbled and it seems like I am just a belt collector, but in reality it is because of me moving from place to place and finding something that was similar to what I have already been training in. Right now, I do both Krav and Kung Fu. I am mostly teaching krav right now. Nidan in Kajukenbo is Sibok. Sandan is Sifu.

Ahh, Now I can understand your question a little clearer. As in Kajukenbo though may use Chinese terminology for ranking it is however not traditional lineage ranking. So maybe in that system Belt ranking would equal Title ranking but in TCMA it does not.

Chinese Genealogy rights here's a brief list.

師父 - Sifu - Shifu - Father/Teacher
師母 - Simo- Shimu - Sifu's wife
師公- Sigung- Shigong - Sifu's Sifu (Grandfather Teacher)
師兄- Sihing- Shixiong - Older brother
師弟- Sidai- Shidi - Younger brother
師姐- Sije- Shijie - Older sister
師妹- Simui- Shimei -Younger sister
師伯- Sibaak- Shibo - Older uncle (Sifu's sihing)
師叔- Sisuk- Shishu - Younger uncle (Sifu's sidai)
徒弟- Todai- Tudi - Students
徒侄- Toujat- Tuzhi - Nephew (masculine form)
徒姪- Toujat- Tuzhi - Niece (feminine form)
師太公- Sitaigung- Shitaigong - Sifu's Sigung
師太- Sitai- Sigung's wife
師傅- Sifu- Shifu - Different Sifu other than one that is related to you.
師兄弟- Martial Arts brothers as a group (Sihingdai) (Shixiongdi)
徒孫- Tou Syun- Tu Sun - Grand students

Take note these titles do not equal belt earnings but however equate to lineage positions in your family. I know a lot of more modernized systems have been taking on Chinese terms to equate with belt rankings to equal status but traditionally this is really unacceptable.

For instance I wouldn't refer to someone in my class per say we had belt rankings as a Sibaak(Whatever....) or Sifu(Master) or Sigung(Grandmaster) or .... because if they are my classmates then they are my Sihing(s) or Sidai(s), Sije(s) or Simui(s) and then the Sifu.

But we don't equate the titles with belt rankings I have no idea how or why that was started but it seems somewhat common now adays.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By the way congrats on becoming a Sifu, how long have you been teaching? & how's the School/Club?

Enjoy your training,

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahh, Now I can understand your question a little clearer. As in Kajukenbo though may use Chinese terminology for ranking it is however not traditional lineage ranking. So maybe in that system Belt ranking would equal Title ranking but in TCMA it does not.

師太- Sitai- Sigung's wife

Take note these titles do not equal belt earnings but however equate to lineage positions in your family. I know a lot of more modernized systems have been taking on Chinese terms to equate with belt rankings to equal status but traditionally this is really unacceptable.

For instance I wouldn't refer to someone in my class per say we had belt rankings as a Sibaak(Whatever....) or Sifu(Master) or Sigung(Grandmaster) or .... because if they are my classmates then they are my Sihing(s) or Sidai(s), Sije(s) or Simui(s) and then the Sifu.

But we don't equate the titles with belt rankings I have no idea how or why that was started but it seems somewhat common now adays.

Thank you for the clarification!

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
By the way congrats on becoming a Sifu, how long have you been teaching? & how's the School/Club?

Enjoy your training,

I have been teaching for awhile, but, in kung fu. I just started my location back in Mid October, and I am enjoying teaching krav now.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

師太- Sitai- Sigung's wife

BRIEF list????

OMG. Japanese MA are much easier, I either call them Sensei or "Dave"!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BRIEF list????

OMG. Japanese MA are much easier, I either call them Sensei or "Dave"!!

Definitely easier lol!

do you have female Sifus and if so what are their husbands called?

I'm a fan of an author called Han Suyin, she wrote novels but also her autobiography where she talks about her Chinese family by title not name. It takes a bit of working out who is who when you aren't used to it.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Please take the following post lightly as i am playing DEVILS ADVOCATE so to speak.

If you are of the rank of Sibok in Kajukenbo, the use that rank title when in Kaju, when you are of rank in Krav the go by that ranks title when in Krav. If in your instructors kung fu class he says you are not Sifu in that system, honor that or be dishonored yourself. I agree with Flyingcrane.

If your inlaws are insisting you to be called Sifu I ask, what rank are they that they insist on such a title for you to be addressed by? That sounds like you could be hiding behind their insistence for the title as a copout. As another poster mentioned, some chefs, cab drivers etc are addressed as Sifu, are your inlaws leveling you to the title of a cab driver? LOL. Only kidding, and I jest simply to see if you are too easily upset by this, and if so then I feel you are too hung up on being called SIFU.

Your own offering of justification was very early on mentioning instructor level rank in Krav Maga, this is title chasing in my opinion. If I am off the mark it should not sting you, if you retort in an upset manner many can see that maybe this is the case.

I am a little sensitive to rank crossing titles (In many cases there are people breaking their own arm patting themselves on the back) I trained to the rank of San Dan in TKD and that does not make me a SIFU. I am Si Hing in JF/JKD and I do not use my earned title Saya in Thaing/Bando as excuse to be addressed as Sifu. This across the board, I am instructor so I declare myself SIFU is bogus (Not insisting you are doing this and keep in mind an upset retort will make you appear this way) instructor rank in one art is instructor rank in that one art, not accross the board.

I have seen a fool trying to uplift himself so much, that he started his own system without a system (He knows who he is) and declared himself Sifu and published books and DVDs (years before eventually earning Sifu rank from Sifu Randy Williams) using his years in Karate & TKD ranking to 5th Dan as base for his assertion that he was to be called SIFU. This is ingenuous.

Example, If someone were to use there rank as instructor in Krav Maga for reason to be called SAYA (in Thaing/Bando), I am certain that there are members here involved in the ABA (like myself) who would have seroius issue with that. I hope you understand how some of us could see it APPEARS that you could be a title chaser. Just the mention of Doctors title, inlaws insistence and instructor rank in other systems as base for the title Sifu is suspect.

Your Kung Fu instructor said in his system you are not Sifu, so do not fall into the mistake of bad form manners by even asking your SIFU if you should be called Sifu due to instructor rank in another system. Very very bad form.

Again, if I am off the mark, brush me off, but understand part of my assertion is to see if you argue the point which defines you in a much different way than in a title. I hope I am understood.

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Please take the following post lightly as i am playing DEVILS ADVOCATE so to speak.

If you are of the rank of Sibok in Kajukenbo, the use that rank title when in Kaju, when you are of rank in Krav the go by that ranks title when in Krav. If in your instructors kung fu class he says you are not Sifu in that system, honor that or be dishonored yourself. I agree with Flyingcrane.

If your inlaws are insisting you to be called Sifu I ask, what rank are they that they insist on such a title for you to be addressed by? That sounds like you could be hiding behind their insistence for the title as a copout. As another poster mentioned, some chefs, cab drivers etc are addressed as Sifu, are your inlaws leveling you to the title of a cab driver? LOL. Only kidding, and I jest simply to see if you are too easily upset by this, and if so then I feel you are too hung up on being called SIFU.

Your own offering of justification was very early on mentioning instructor level rank in Krav Maga, this is title chasing in my opinion. If I am off the mark it should not sting you, if you retort in an upset manner many can see that maybe this is the case.

I am a little sensitive to rank crossing titles (In many cases there are people breaking their own arm patting themselves on the back) I trained to the rank of San Dan in TKD and that does not make me a SIFU. I am Si Hing in JF/JKD and I do not use my earned title Saya in Thaing/Bando as excuse to be addressed as Sifu. This across the board, I am instructor so I declare myself SIFU is bogus (Not insisting you are doing this and keep in mind an upset retort will make you appear this way) instructor rank in one art is instructor rank in that one art, not accross the board.

I have seen a fool trying to uplift himself so much, that he started his own system without a system (He knows who he is) and declared himself Sifu and published books and DVDs (years before eventually earning Sifu rank from Sifu Randy Williams) using his years in Karate & TKD ranking to 5th Dan as base for his assertion that he was to be called SIFU. This is ingenuous.

Example, If someone were to use there rank as instructor in Krav Maga for reason to be called SAYA (in Thaing/Bando), I am certain that there are members here involved in the ABA (like myself) who would have seroius issue with that. I hope you understand how some of us could see it APPEARS that you could be a title chaser. Just the mention of Doctors title, inlaws insistence and instructor rank in other systems as base for the title Sifu is suspect.

Your Kung Fu instructor said in his system you are not Sifu, so do not fall into the mistake of bad form manners by even asking your SIFU if you should be called Sifu due to instructor rank in another system. Very very bad form.

Again, if I am off the mark, brush me off, but understand part of my assertion is to see if you argue the point which defines you in a much different way than in a title. I hope I am understood.

Life is too short to be upset. I am fine with what my Sifu wants people to call me in the school. It is just when the in-laws were arguing with me when I thought of this and thought that I would get my fellow martial artists' opinions. So, no, not upset at you or anyone. Actually, I'm learning a lot from this thread. :)

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
PEACE then bro, I am glad to see that good attitude in you. I hope you can forgive the way i posted to see your character. I respect the earned titles you have and hope that someday you kung fu sifu sees fit you allow you to earn the title Sifu within his system.

Train well, be safe and have a great new year.

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
PEACE then bro, I am glad to see that good attitude in you. I hope you can forgive the way i posted to see your character. I respect the earned titles you have and hope that someday you kung fu sifu sees fit you allow you to earn the title Sifu within his system.

Train well, be safe and have a great new year.

Thanks, no worries. :)

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
the title shi fu is very strictly used in CMA's tradition, IN CHINA.
only a disciple, after a certain procedure(koutou磕头 and respectfully hand over a tea to your teacher and he drinks 敬茶 ), can call his teacher shi fu. sometimes, shi fu will invite many local masters to join the event, it means that you are the one who represent the style and your master.
if you want to be a shifu, you will ask your shifu for approval(出师). you shifu will consider whether you are strong enough, whether you will not be shamed to your school, to your shifu.and whether you at least will not easily be defeat.
all in all, this is based on CMA's tradition, in china. i don't how it's going outside.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the title shi fu is very strictly used in CMA's tradition, IN CHINA.
only a disciple, after a certain procedure(koutou磕头 and respectfully hand over a tea to your teacher and he drinks 敬茶 ), can call his teacher shi fu. sometimes, shi fu will invite many local masters to join the event, it means that you are the one who represent the style and your master.
if you want to be a shifu, you will ask your shifu for approval(出师). you shifu will consider whether you are strong enough, whether you will not be shamed to your school, to your shifu.and whether you at least will not easily be defeat.
all in all, this is based on CMA's tradition, in china. i don't how it's going outside.

Bai si is common here in the US as well.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Definitely easier lol!

do you have female Sifus and if so what are their husbands called?

Yes, a term Sifu can also be used for females. The Husband is generally called Si San or Shi Jeong... (But there's other variations as well)

Latest Discussions