Ving Tsung?

SamT

Orange Belt
Reaction score
On another forum I frequent, someone posted the following, in response to him saying "and if I am attacked it starts to look less like self defence and more like a slaughter, but I don't relise how much force I exert being such a big guy"

This may be off topic, but you need to find a new instructor if you've been training for eight years and still can't control yourself in self-defense.

His reply to that:

It is how Ving Tsun kung fu is trained, ive had several instructors over the years, including sifu barry lee himself, the art is "battle ready" as it has been used to defend barry's life and he is the "matriarch" of the art in australia

In training, there is no such thing as a tap out, or a time out, or anything of the sort because we all believe that your training crosses into real world situations when you dont want it to e.g:-

A brazilian jujitsu master robbed a small store, he put the clerk in a choke and the clerk tapped his arm and the robber released the hold - if this were a life or death situation in a totally different scenario the jujitsu master would have been killed - true story

Ving Tsun kung fu training is bringing real world scenarios into the class - as a Ving Tsun kung fu fighter you cannot imagine yourself losing, losing is impossible, the fight ends with a death or more often than not the other person walking away, we arent pitbulls and we will not chase after, and we do use strict defensive blocks to start off, but if the attacker is persistent than we must take action

Krav maga is another good example of a batte ready martial art, any martial art claims to give you self defence, but out of the thousands that are out there in the world, only 2% of them work in real world situations, Ving Tsun kung fu and krav maga are 2 of these

The only martial art I've seen before that's ever emphasized complete neutralization of an opponent is Krav Maga, and I had always thought that Kung Fu had a different philosophy from that, though I'm very ignorant in the Chinese martial arts. Does anyone have any input? To be honest, his description sounds less like a martial art and more like a worst-case-scenario self-defense system.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Unsure what is meant by controling yourself need more clarification.

But if you can not properly defend yourself one of 3 things occur.

1.You are unable to use proper technique because you are not skilled enough to use technique because of___________(insert blank)

2. Your teacher is not skilled at explaining,teaching.

3. Your opponent is better than you because of ______(insert blank)

A brazilian jujitsu master robbed a small store, he put the clerk in a choke and the clerk tapped his arm and the robber released the hold - if this were a life or death situation in a totally different scenario the jujitsu master would have been killed
This is the stupidest true robbery story I have ever heard.

Krav maga is another good example of a batte ready martial art, any martial art claims to give you self defence, but out of the thousands that are out there in the world, only 2% of them work in real world situations, Ving Tsun kung fu and krav maga are 2 of these
This kind of comment shows ignorance. That means 98% of all Martial arts is useless which is not true lol.

OP
S

SamT

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. By controlling yourself, I meant only using enough force to take control of a situation, such as just putting someone in a wristlock to show them who's in charge instead of snapping off their xyphoid process.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not snapping the wrist should hopefully come natural.

I mean by this having compassion. On the other hand I suppose if someone killed a family member then maybe breaking each finger joint hand,arm and every bone in their body and giving as much pain as possible could come into play.

I keep thinking who robs a store without a weapon that's just Robbery 101.

OP
S

SamT

Orange Belt
Reaction score
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=158271 The actual posts can probably tell more than I can and give a better idea of what the person's talking about. I'm Kamikaze_Badger. To me, it sounds like he's been learning a system of moves without a typical martial arts philosophy or proper training. Though as I said, I'm very ignorant most arts, perhaps there's something I'm missing.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=158271 The actual posts can probably tell more than I can and give a better idea of what the person's talking about. I'm Kamikaze_Badger. To me, it sounds like he's been learning a system of moves without a typical martial arts philosophy or proper training. Though as I said, I'm very ignorant most arts, perhaps there's something I'm missing.

As a general rule, I'd never put too much weight on what you read posted on a forum unless you know something about the individual posting. I mean, this is the place we come to spout off. Some folks are making informative statements or asking honest questions. Some speak with a certain amount of experience and authority, but a lot of others are making really stupid remarks. And that's OK I guess, if it makes for an entertaining read. Just don't take it seriously.

Now I'm no great authority, but I have been involved in Wing Chun and Wing Tsun since 1979. In my limited experience, the reputable lineages of WC/WT/VT all stress being a practical and realistic method of self defense. That said, they also teach a variety of techniques so the art can be applied appropriately to the level of threat. In other words, you don't have to use the same deadly techniques that you need to defend yourself against a knife-wielding psycho to subdue your drunken brother-in-law. As in most martial arts, you have a range of tools available.

Anyway, it sounds like the guy who originally posted those comments was ignorant. After all, a "matriarch" is a female leader or mother figure. I suppose he meant "patriarch"? And secondly, it sounds like he wanted to brag about how tough and deadly he was. Most really experienced martial artists have moved past that stage. Just my two cents.

Latest Discussions