Traditional CMA in Austin Texas?

B

BIGtiny

Hello all,
This is my first post to this forum, thank you for taking the time to read my question. I am new to kung fu training, but I am happy to say that I have decided to devote the free time I do have to the study of CMA. I began my hard work at a training hall here in Austin Texas, and up until now have been pretty happy with my progress. I had two goals in starting MA. One was to learn traditional kung-fu (Shaolin interests me greatly, however family styles are not overlooked either) and the other was to attain a higher fitness level. I would say that up to this point I have really only been fulfilling the second part of my goal, and have recently been searching out a more authentic form of CMA taught here in Austin. Was wondering if some of the experienced guys here on this forum had any thoughts about the below website, or any ideas on a good sifu here in Austin. Thank you in advance for your assistance
Respectfully your,
BIGtiny
www.eastwindtraininghall.com/index.html

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It's a bit pricey though $100 a month is no longer unreasonable--I pay it for JKD/BJJ--and the description of the style seems reasonable as well, though the secretiveness raises a slight flag. The group classes only rate is quite fair though often a school will push for you to upgrade (like any business). No contracts so check it out!

OP
B

BIGtiny

I plan to check it out next week :D
Yea, I was a little suspicious of the secritiveness as well as the whole "benevolent society order", however they seem to be fairly strong in tradition to general CMA (no belt ranks) and to their family traditions, so perhaps this secretivness is part of it, either way the proof is in the pudding as they say. I will be excited to train with them next week. Thanks for taking a look, I appreciate your input.

*bows*
Bt

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been a Kenpo student/instructor here in Austin since 1979, and was doing Taekwondo and Shotokan prior to that. I have not heard of this school or instructor. This is not to say it or the instructor is not reputable, I have just never met Mr. Finley. Please let me know how you like it. I like being able to have another school to refer someone to when they are looking for traditional Chinese Arts.

His prices are pretty equitable for Austin. I charge 70-85/mo and privates are $25 if you are one of my students, $50 if you are not... but I do not "require" anyone to take privates. His $40 for Group only sounds very reasonable, but then it escalates up quickly to a higher rate, and his is pretty limited on the number of classes available for you. (Me too, to some extent.)

I have not seen any traditional Kung Fu schools offer privates until much later on in their training. The usual formula is to work as a class or small group, emulating the instructor until such a time as they chose to "enlighten" you with the applications, puposes, pressure or dim muk points.

I too wondered about the "Benevolent Society", knowing what they really are in China. Not good!!!!!!

Good luck in your training,
-Michael

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for, but there is a Kung Fu Exchange school there in Austin. It is owned by Sifu Jeff Hughes of the Sifu Raymond Fogg leneage. My Sifu is Sifu Hughes' Sihing. It is very traditional cma, he teaches 7 star preying mantis and I believe some hung gar. My school and that one train together alot. Here is his link: www.ctkfe.com
If you have any questions, I'm sure I can help you out, I've known Sifu Hughes for a while.

7sm

OP
B

BIGtiny

I began training at CTKFE about two weeks ago, sifu Hughes is amazing, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the information, and I'll see you around, I am sure :D

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by BIGtiny
I began training at CTKFE about two weeks ago, sifu Hughes is amazing, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the information, and I'll see you around, I am sure :D

HEY COOL!!
Thats awesome! Welcome to the Kung Fu Exchange Family. I study at Tyler Kung Fu and Fitness, so I'm sure I will see you around!! Good luck in your training, you have an awesome Sifu there in Sifu Jeff.

7sm

PS: If you want to PM me, we can exchange names and all so I'll know you when I see you.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

What a wonderful example of Martial Talk bringing together two Kung Fu enthusiasts. lol. I'm happy for you man. Good luck in your training.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by BIGtiny

How is the training going at the Austin school?
Good I hope.

7sm

OP
B

BIGtiny

Things are going very well, I have my level 12 test on Sat. :D

The difference in my ability just in a few short months is pretty profound (to me at least), and I look forward to the upcoming challenges. My goal is to make it to the intermediate class by my 1 yr kung fu annviversary in August. Hope things are well in Tyler too!
-Bt:asian:

OP
B

BIGtiny

There are 12 tests in the system. We begin at 12 and work down. 12 - 10 is considered the beginner program. Our sifu says that the level 6 test is the equivalent (and then some) to most other places 'black belt'. Fun, fun! :D
-Bt

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad all is going well with you at the Austin school. Keep up the hard training!
By the way, are you going to the AAU Regional Tournament in May?
Also, the Kung Fu Exchange has a message board up where alot of us keep in touch, you should check it out. Kung Fu Exchange

7sm

Latest Discussions