Should a Student Practice on His Own, or Not?

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. I was thinking that maybe you meant that "practice" is stances and forms, whereas "training" is more kicking. Got it now.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm with the others: practicing at home is not only important but vital to one who really wants to have a good performance in martial art. The in-class time should better be used with actual teaching of new content, correcting, partner drills, etc. This said, I've indeed had bad experiences with taekwondo students that go to class essentially to workout, get cardio conditioning, lose weight - and after all that was what I gave them mostly. It wasn't my own school, though, and I'm aware that was main feature that dojang. My personal students, in the other hand, are very aware of the fact that they come to me to really learn things and they have to workout and practice on their own later, and no-one is unsatisfied with it (but I don't teach those students to make a profit).

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Re: Should a Student Practice on His Own, or Not?

What's the definition of a "student"?

You may be a student when you are 20 years old. One day your teacher has passed away and you are no longer young. Do you still consider yourself as a "student"?

I have seen so many people who moved to a new place, couldn't find a proper school, and quit. Can you just train whatever that your have leaned from your previous school, use that information and train for the rest of your life all by yourself? How much do you want to learn any way?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Re: Should a Student Practice on His Own, or Not?

What's the definition of a "student"?

You may be a student when you are 20 years old. One day your teacher has passed away and you are no longer young. Do you still consider yourself as a "student"?

I have seen so many people who moved to a new place, couldn't find a proper school, and quit. Can you just train whatever that your have leaned from your previous school, use that information and train for the rest of your life all by yourself? How much do you want to learn any way?

Kung Fu Wang is the best name on Martial Talk!!!

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I respect my teacher (and I think the world of him) I don't think he could have stopped me from practicing on my own even if he had wanted to. There was a time when that was pretty much the only thing I wanted to do!! Fortunately for me my teacher rewarded hard work even if it was done in my backyard.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? Practicing would be training.

Not really. You practice things you've already been taught. You train to learn new material.

Reading the thread (where this context was already made clear) before replying is often helpful. :)

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Since the forum isn't too busy these days, I'll throw another topic up for discussion.

Should a student practice on his own, or not? Does belt-level matter? Should the student only practice what the instructor/master says to practice?

I had contemplated joining a club once, and I mentioned that I looked at TKD differently than perhaps most students. For me, TKD in the school was part of my TKD, but I also practice and try to improve at home by myself.

I was told that the school doesn't like students to practice by themselves, due to getting into bad habits that may be hard to break. The school's opinion was that students are ok to stretch at home, but not practice.

Do you agree?

You have to practice in order to learn and to ask questions. I do agree not to add what you see from other sources. Because you don't want to get confused on different techniques.

I in courage my students to practice. You have to learn what you are doing. Age don't matter.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really. You practice things you've already been taught. You train to learn new material.

Reading the thread (where this context was already made clear) before replying is often helpful. :)

So I'm not weight training if I already know the lifts?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I'm not weight training if I already know the lifts?

I've always taken for granted that you understood the importance if context. If I've been mistaken, and this is a serious question, just let me know and I will attempt to provide an explanation that you can understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A fighter is preparing for an upcoming fight at his trainiing camp. He's only learning new stuff? Is that what a training camp is for? I've never heard of the term practice camp for an upcoming fight. Excuse my ignorance.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just absolutely refuse to believe that you're not smart enough to understand the context used, Tames D, in which case I'm left to conclude that this is just you trying to stir the pot for some reason.

Sorry. Not going to play. The context is clear. If that's not good enough for you, then you're just going to have to deal with it yourself.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with stirring the pot DD. You're pretty good at it yourself :)
Now I just gotta decide if you are violating TOS with your insults towards me. Probably not.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with stirring the pot DD. You're pretty good at it yourself :)
Now I just gotta decide if you are violating TOS with your insults towards me. Probably not.

If I have insulted you, I freely and publically apologize, and I assure you no insults were intended.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it's good for students to practice at home, if they can. Especially if they can't come to class more than 2x a week.

I wonder if the discouragement from practicing was really about bad habits? Maybe they'd had a student who got hurt practicing at home and tried to sue them?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's good for students to practice at home, if they can. Especially if they can't come to class more than 2x a week.

I wonder if the discouragement from practicing was really about bad habits? Maybe they'd had a student who got hurt practicing at home and tried to sue them?
Don't say that too loud; it is almost a great idea. :)

Latest Discussions