Selling school

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry,
My advice would be, sell the school, use the money to heal the body and relax for a bit. Then, in a few months, if the itch is still there, and your no-compete clause allows, scout out a new location and hang up the shingle again. Being self employed, I'm often considering selling and resting, but know that soon as I do so, the itch will come back, so can understand a bit :)

Best of luck

Ditto.

Best of luck in your decision - and remember that your HEALTH comes first. You can't be their for either your family or your students if you push yourself so hard that your health fails.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry,
My advice would be, sell the school, use the money to heal the body and relax for a bit. Then, in a few months, if the itch is still there, and your no-compete clause allows, scout out a new location and hang up the shingle again. Being self employed, I'm often considering selling and resting, but know that soon as I do so, the itch will come back, so can understand a bit :)

Best of luck

Terry, I'm with Bob on this one. I think it's a fantastic opportunity and you'll be able to open another school when you so desire. Congratulations on your success, the offer speaks volumes. :asian:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once a teacher, always a teacher. You are far too dedicated to your art to just "walk away" Lots of good advice about selling and reopening after some rest and when the itch hits you. I would be cautious about working for the new owners. The students there currently look to you for guidance and so do the parents of the kids you teach. It will be hard for them to learn to go to someone else if you are still there and the transition will be harder for them. Also, if the new owner doesn't do things the way you used to, it may be hard for you to watch the school change.

Just my .02 cents :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa you kill me, anyway I had an offer and I made a decission and that decission is simple I'm keeping the school after talking to my GrandMaster and some fine folks here on MT and of course my better half I will decline the offer and find a able teacher to help out and continue to train the people that have become more than students.

I do thank all of you and I just would like to say when the meet and greet come in my area I will host and help house some people if they would like.

My health will come first and my wife said if need be she will retire to help me run the day to day of the school because my haapiness is more important than her job at this point that made me happy and so goes on Twin Dragons.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa you kill me, anyway I had an offer and I made a decission and that decission is simple I'm keeping the school after talking to my GrandMaster and some fine folks here on MT and of course my better half I will decline the offer and find a able teacher to help out and continue to train the people that have become more than students.

I do thank all of you and I just would like to say when the meet and greet come in my area I will host and help house some people if they would like.

My health will come first and my wife said if need be she will retire to help me run the day to day of the school because my haapiness is more important than her job at this point that made me happy and so goes on Twin Dragons.

Terry, I'm really GLAD. Good luck, look after yourself---seriously!---and may Twin Dragons breath fire for a long time to come!

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear you made a decision, and glad you are keeping your school!

Jeff

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow Terry, I'm getting a lump in my throat reading this all. I'm very very happy for you and am glad to see Twin Dragons carrying onward. Wishing you all the best for things to go as well as they can possibly go in the future :) :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Terry,

Congratulations on making your decision. I think you are going to be happy once you find an assistant to help with the day to day burden of running a school. Good luck in your search.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, it sounds like a great decision, and even more, like you have a wonderful wife - lucky you! Enjoy!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That's great news Terry, and your wife is awesome.

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
WHOO! HOO!!!!

:partyon:

LONG LIVE TWIN DRAGONS!!!!! :karate:

Glad to hear that you're staying in the game, Terry!

Even though the "new" path that you have chosen may have its' bumps (don't they all?)... I know in my heart that you will be happiest this way!

Best regards,

Andy

Latest Discussions