Self Defense usage of the Grappling Arts

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
By my definition, grappling isn't just the ground-based work. All of Judo, for instance, falls under grappling. Throws and hard takedowns are my preferred techniques for defensive use.
Oh I agree I was just leaving the offensive portion out of it.

Strike or lock to off balance to gain the opportunity to throw. Then throw so you can then gain the opportunity to break or set up a dominate position to smash. That's pretty much my personal fighting mentality.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
By my definition, grappling isn't just the ground-based work. All of Judo, for instance, falls under grappling. Throws and hard takedowns are my preferred techniques for defensive use.
Oh there was a kerfufflw about this a while back. Can't remember the detail but it was some ado about defining grappling.

I'm with you, by the way. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh there was a kerfufflw about this a while back. Can't remember the detail but it was some ado about defining grappling.

I don't recall details of the kerfluffle, but it's one of those things that probably shouldn't be all that difficult to define.
How about " if you're grabbing them, you're grappling" for an example. Simple. Clear.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't recall details of the kerfluffle, but it's one of those things that probably shouldn't be all that difficult to define.
How about " if you're grabbing them, you're grappling" for an example. Simple. Clear.
pretty typical of this place. Sometimes, some people care more about who says something than what is said. I agree with you, grappling is a pretty straightforward word.

Last edited:

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
pretty typical of this place. Sometimes, some people care more about who says something than what is said. I agree with you, grappling is a pretty straightforward word.
Yes, starts with a g, end with a g and like all the best pies.. have apple in the middle.. is how I like to fight.. though just before I sense an opponent to tap out.. I like to pause awhile with sweat dripping every where and query with them.. I will say, Yes! this is all well and good.. and but how can we be sure it is really grappling we are doing? I so adore those little metaphysical moments and the insight into ancient cultural mores they invariably bring.. I often wish there were more of that in my daily life :p

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your definition of grappling in that thread matches mine pretty closely. I'll pick just one nit (and it's a very small nit) - getting up from the ground is only grappling if the other guy is trying to hold you down there or you use him to get up. If he's not stopping you at that moment (picking a gap to quickly get up), or if you manage to punch him as he leans in to grab, that's not grappling. Mind you, those are fairly odd isolations, and I'd expect most getting up to involve some grappling, if only in getting the other guy off you or off balance long enough to get up.

So, let's call it a 99% agreement just so I don't have to agree completely. Can't have that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Your definition of grappling in that thread matches mine pretty closely. I'll pick just one nit (and it's a very small nit) - getting up from the ground is only grappling if the other guy is trying to hold you down there or you use him to get up. If he's not stopping you at that moment (picking a gap to quickly get up), or if you manage to punch him as he leans in to grab, that's not grappling. Mind you, those are fairly odd isolations, and I'd expect most getting up to involve some grappling, if only in getting the other guy off you or off balance long enough to get up.

So, let's call it a 99% agreement just so I don't have to agree completely. Can't have that.
Now that we have that sorted out, can you explain the grappling rules in advanced dungeons and dragons?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Now that we have that sorted out, can you explain the grappling rules in advanced dungeons and dragons?
And for the record, in AD&D, strength does matter, but only for damage. The Attacker's Dexterity score is used as the base (1% for each point of Dex), plus bonuses for clothing (up to 30% if your opponent has plate mail on... lots to grab, I guess). Minuses for speed. The defender goes through a similar exercise, but everything is halved if he/she is prone... so, yeah. Advantage if the fight goes to the ground.

General note: Multiple opponents: It is possible for as many opponents as will physically be able to attack a single adversary to engage in pummeling, grappling or overbearing attack modes. HOWEVER, attack order must first be determined.

There's more... but I think I've made myself clear.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. When I played AD&D, they hadn't gotten to defining it that deeply. I seem to recall there being a set of tables for unarmed combat, but no guidance to distinguish between striking and grappling, nor for standing or grounded.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes. They use their Chi and knock you out without touching you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. When I played AD&D, they hadn't gotten to defining it that deeply. I seem to recall there being a set of tables for unarmed combat, but no guidance to distinguish between striking and grappling, nor for standing or grounded.
Not true. According to my Dungeon Masters Guide (written by Gary Gygax and published by TSR games in 1979) there were three possible forms of unarmed combat: pummeling (which is striking with fists), grappling, and overbearing (otherwise known as "being Australian" (Lookin' at you, Drop Bear;)))

Ground fighting was the state of being "prone" which effectively halved all of the defenders percentages. I can post a picture of the two pages of nonsensical instructions, lf you're interested. I actually pulled the book off the shelf out of curiosity. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: JP3

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yes. They use their Chi and knock you out without touching you.
Possibly the Monk. At 10th level, they get a "mind blast" attack (same as the Mind Flayer's attack), which sounds pretty cool. At 13th level, they get the dreaded 'quivering palm.'

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly the Monk. At 10th level, they get a "mind blast" attack (same as the Mind Flayer's attack), which sounds pretty cool. At 13th level, they get the dreaded 'quivering palm.'

Any class could be psionic...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true. According to my Dungeon Masters Guide (written by Gary Gygax and published by TSR games in 1979) there were three possible forms of unarmed combat: pummeling (which is striking with fists), grappling, and overbearing (otherwise known as "being Australian" (Lookin' at you, Drop Bear;)))

Ground fighting was the state of being "prone" which effectively halved all of the defenders percentages. I can post a picture of the two pages of nonsensical instructions, lf you're interested. I actually pulled the book off the shelf out of curiosity. :D
Huh. I don't remember any of that being in there.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You entirely missed the "for some guys" in his statement. I'm guessing on purpose, but correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I noted that too. But, it did allow him to get to toss his schtick again, so whatever.