The Guard in self defense?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's fine, because BJJ works, and therefore is Judo.

Fixed that for ya. :rolleyes:
rolling.gif

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hanzou, please listen very, very closely. You have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Except in that video I posted, it's titled "Jump Guard tutorial"

That has been covered and explained. It's not a guard, and the term was most likely used to get views.

and he pulls his opponent into guard.

No, he doesn't. This has also been explained. It's not guard, it's a body choke.

Additionally he proceeds to perform a double ankle sweep. All of which is found in Bjj.

Completely besides the point. He's not showing BJJ, he's not showing anything taken from BJJ, this ain't BJJ, and you have no idea what you're looking at.

That judgement seems to run counter to what the Akban has stated themselves;

No, it doesn't. I stated that they seem to be adding bits and pieces of BJJ by occasionally bringing in teachers… which is basically what the quote you gave says. They don't have any BJJ teachers in their ranks, and they aren't ranked in BJJ themselves… what they do is bring in BJJ coaches every now and then to work on ground work. Hell, if they're following anything close to the way they "trained" Katori Shinto Ryu, they're watching videos and trying to teach themselves as a primary method (which is in line with their MO)… and the teachers are brought in to refine what they come up with themselves.

Now if you have issue with their katas, techniques, or whatever, that's a personal axe that you're welcomed to grind elsewhere. However in this case, it's pretty clear that the Akban are trained in Bjj.

Which has nothing to do with the kata/video posted. Again.

Well we're not talking about YOUR techniques. We're talking about the Akban's techniques. If the Akban is misrepresenting Ninjutsu in some form, that's something that Ninjutsu practitioners need to settle. However, if a Ninjutsu organization is very clearly utilizing Bjj techniques, and even states that they are using Bjj techniques, I'm not wrong in pointing that out.

Yes, Hanzou, we ARE talking about my techniques. We don't make up what we feel like… the kata shown is Hissaku, from the Chuden no Gata of Koto Ryu. It's not an "Akban" technique, it's a Koto Ryu technique… which makes it one of my techniques. There is precisely 0 BJJ in the clip, as there is precisely 0 BJJ in Koto Ryu, and precisely 0 BJJ in Hissaku.

The full kata involves a bit more than is shown in the clip, but the elements of the leaping do shime (body choke), and the "double ankle sweep" are part of the kata, and are completely independent of any BJJ that the Akban boys deal in. Completely, 100% independent. No connection at all. So yes, you are wrong to point out that they're using BJJ techniques… they're not.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm… Hanzou, I'm really not sure what you could have disagreed with there… I mean, it's me telling you what my techniques are… whether you want to accept it or not, that's the reality. If you have something specific you want to argue, bring it up… otherwise, I see no point in giving you any information on any subject at all in the future.