Self Defense and Fighting: Is There A Difference?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Though different in theory without knowledge and ability to fight you may not always be able to defend your self. You may be able to avoid, verbally de-esculate, or escape/avoid many confrontations but when all else fails you will need to fight.

On the other hand many trained to fight may lack these other self defense skills.

Exactly the point.......they are two ideas that border in a couple key areas, but are otherwise separate things.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So Rich, are you saying you need to have a fighting adeptness to know your strengths and weaknesses in order to defend yourself? I am not certain :) To me, fighting is not something I want to engage in. For me, I know I am getting beat when I find the urge to fight. The term "fighting" to me (and I think it is different for everybody) implies a loss of control, in a defensive situation. Sparring is different naturally. I do not know, maybe I am wrong. That is just how I perceive these two things as different. Appreciate what you are saying though - not looking to fight ;)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

While I agree that when one losses control you can consider yourself lost.

My point was not that you had a fighting mentality, but that you understood your strenghts and weaknesses which helps you defend yourself and avoid fighting situations.

To me self defense is non agressive or not threatening counters, while fighting to me is when I will strike back with the intent of doing harm. This as you say is different per person, but I think is close to what you are trying to write if I am reading it right. Now that is not to say that someone off balance due to your actions may not get hurt, they just do not get hurt because you have done intentional trauma to their body.

But from a legal stand point locally that is, one is allowed to use equal and opposite force without emotion to defend oneself. This implies threat to your life meaning you can defend it with a threat to the opponent as well. The issue comes in all cases is if you can argue that you felt threatened to use such force.

By the average common "man" theory, you would be able to use more force before I would due to size alone. Based upon what most people would cause a normal man's reactions.

And whiel you may not wish to fight, I still enjoy our arguements. ;) :)

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with what seems like the majority. I do think they both crossover, but at the the same time are two different aspects in martial arts.

IMO, self-defense isn't just about neutralizing an unforeseen attack, but knowing how to avoid situations that can bring the attack. Fighting implies that there is an engagement with the mutual understanding that both parties are gonna go at it.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Full agreement. You practice self-defense when you buy a safe car over a cool car.

You practise self defense if you run the numbers before taking a mortgage to see if you can realistically afford a house.
You practise self defense if you save up some money each month, both as a safeguard for a rainy day, and as a confirmation that you don't spend more than you earn
You practise self defense if you have fire extinguishers around the house, and an emergency escape plan.
You practise self defense if you get a locksmith to install quality locks.
You practise self defense if you have liability insurance, so that a stupid mistake of one of your kids doesn't ruin you financially.
You practise self defense if you are learning first aid.
You practise sefl defense if you are watching what you post online.

I could go on for a while. Fighting is only a small part of self defense. An important part if and when it comes to a physical confrontation, but in the grand scheme of things that can happen during your lifetime, not the most important part on average (depending on where you live etc of course).

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
They are the same essentially but become different with overgrossed freedom of expression.... They are governed by the same basic principles and scinetific laws.... Often, with skill and experience the basics are traded or overshadowed by things such as style and techniques and so forth. The more one learns or teaches and progresses the less the essential nutrients are retained....

Its all about Integrity and Discipline... and always about the very basic principles that govern mass in motion.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the difference (or lack of it) depends upon the individual. For some, fighting may be part of their defence strategy, planned or otherwise. For me, fighting has a certain connotation that I do not connect well with. I wonder would it not be imprudent to attempt to draw any general or blanket conclusion? All I know is that personally I am **** at fighting. I think I can just about manage ok with self-defence :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Anyone can practice self-defense, not everyone can fight.

Many in the martial arts like to take a glorified view of "fighting". Saying that they only strike when someone attempts to strike them, well... good luck with that. Simple physics dictates that action is faster than reaction. You wait for somebody to throw, and the chances are in favor of you being struck. You react immediately to a threat and the chances shift to your favor.

If you percieve a threat you must act, that doesn't mean getting into a fight. Even if you percieve a confrontation is all but unavoidable, you should never give your opponent any indication that you are about to strike because that gives away an advantage. Self-Defense is down and dirty...bottom line... You can't sacrifice your safety or well-being in the name of fairness; as harsh as it sounds at the end of the day it's you or them.

Self-defense is never a contest. Your trophy is your life.

There are obvious overlaps as have been stated, but it's like the differences between a penquin and an eagle.

Fight–noun 1.a battle or combat.2.any contest or struggle: a fight for recovery from an illness. 3.an angry argument or disagreement: Whenever we discuss politics, we end up in a fight. 4.Boxing. a bout or contest.5.a game or diversion in which the participants hit or pelt each other with something harmless: a pillow fight; a water fight. 6.ability, will, or inclination to fight: There was no fight left in him.
–verb (used without object) 7.to engage in battle or in single combat; attempt to defend oneself against or to subdue, defeat, or destroy an adversary.8.to contend in any manner; strive vigorously for or against something: He fought bravely against despair.
–verb (used with object) 9.to contend with in battle or combat; war against: England fought Germany. 10.to contend with or against in any manner: to fight despair; to fight the passage of a bill. 11.to carry on (a battle, duel, etc.).12.to maintain (a cause, quarrel, etc.) by fighting or contending.13.to make (one's way) by fighting or striving.14.to cause or set (a boxer, animal, etc.) to fight.15.to manage or maneuver (troops, ships, guns, planes, etc.) in battle.
—Idioms 16.fight it out, to fight until a decision is reached: Let them fight it out among themselves.

self defence–noun 1.the act of defending one's person when physically attacked, as by countering blows or overcoming an assailant: the art of self-defense. 2.a claim or plea that the use of force or injuring or killing another was necessary in defending one's own person from physical attack: He shot the man who was trying to stab him and pleaded self-defense at the murder trial. 3.an act or instance of defending or protecting one's own interests, property, ideas, etc.,

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
becuase of the contradiction the term "self defense" brings to being "actionary".... I like to utilize the term offensive in its stead when training actionary type combatives not forsaking the reactionary or defensive combatives that can come into play if caught off guard or initially struck or injured.... My foundation to the bone is Offensive... defense is a secondary fail-safe for circumstance beyond my control...

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can certainly agree to an extent with those that are saying that they're the same or similar, but I still say that the goal is different. When I'm sparring, grappling, anything competitive, it turns into a who can out-do the person first. If I lose, its not a big deal, because the only thing I have to deal with is the ego, my loss, whereas when I'm faced with someone who isn't thinking twice about sticking me with the knife he has, the goals change. Now, any mistake, the slightest one, can be a fatal one.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Self defense includes fighting (but fighting does not include SD.)

Self defense is more. It includes what leads up to the fight and what happens after the fight to.

And in true self defense there is no such thing as a fair fight.

Deaf

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pick which terminology you like better.

To me a fight is a struggle. You fight for your life in self-defense (even if it's just your wallet, jacket or money they want, you don't know...) You put everything you've got into meeting the challenge or face the alternative.

If you get jumped and punch him **** over teakettle and leave him snoozing peacefully, it wasn't much of a struggle, so to me it wasn't a fight. However, I'd be hard pressed to believe someone assaulting me wasn't confident in his ability to handle me (freinds, weapon or bigger fists). That makes me think I'm in for a struggle.

You could be fighting to win an argument, fighting for air, or fighting cancer. What it really means to me, I guess, is that you haven't given up. How this applies to a melee I think is obvious.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Self defense is, as the words imply, defense of one's self, and, if appropriate, defense of those in need of defense. The methods one uses will depend on the situation - the rules of self-defense I was taught go as follows:

1) Don't get into a situation in which you need to defend yourself.
2) If 1 is not possible, run like hell
3) If 2 is not possible, do whatever is necessary to get out of the situation, and then run like hell.

This may include punching, kicking, throwing, etc. - movements generally evocative of the term "fighting".

Fighting, however, is a general term for attacks against another person(s) that has other goals than self-defense.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes... and no.

They're different things, but neither is necessarily mutually exclusive. Techniques and principles learned in various forms of "fighting" can inform and shape your self defense choices, and your self defense situation will shape the choices you make to fight.

I know, a lot of double talk.

Self-defense is how you deal with an immediate & present attack. The focus of self defense should be on handling that attack, and getting out so that you're no longer vulnerable.

Fighting is a huge range of things, from duels with mutually agreed on rules, to clawing with your fingers in desperation at the hands around your throat. Fighting can be the toolbox for self defense.
I think that I will just go with this one, as it sums up the issue perfectlly.

Daniel

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Self defense" is essentially a "fight" but on the far extreme end of the "fight spectrum" whereas a fight is not necessarily self defense in the context it is being referred to.... a fight can be anything from finnicky spark plug wires on a chevrolet caprice to a verbal confrontaion over the addition of onions on a burger to an argument over why there isnt enough money to pay bills.... we fight every day... we fight traffic, long lines, irate consumers etc, however its not often that we have to "defend" our well being or self preservation...

Latest Discussions