Self Defense and Fighting: Is There A Difference?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. I was reading, with great interest, a thread on another forum, and this very subject came up. Once again, there were two groups, one saying that they are different and the other saying that they're the same thing.

So, the question....what do you think? Are they the same? Are they different?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The title says it all. I was reading, with great interest, a thread on another forum, and this very subject came up. Once again, there were two groups, one saying that they are different and the other saying that they're the same thing.

I think they're different. Fighting is combat. Self defense training should incorporate training to fight, but should also (maybe primarily) should teach how to avoid fighting.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO, I feel that they're different. SD, I feel is designed for the surprise, unexpected attack. You're walking to your car, you're at the ATM, you're in a bar, minding your own business, and someone picks you to attack. Your goal, I feel, should be to end the situation as quickly as possible. Whether you physically engage or verbally, it needs to be done asap, not prolonging the situation.

Fighting, IMO, is a mutually agreed upon event. 2 people agree to meet at a certain place, at a certain time, on a certain day. The UFC is a fight, not SD. Boxing is a fight, not SD.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... and no.

They're different things, but neither is necessarily mutually exclusive. Techniques and principles learned in various forms of "fighting" can inform and shape your self defense choices, and your self defense situation will shape the choices you make to fight.

I know, a lot of double talk.

Self-defense is how you deal with an immediate & present attack. The focus of self defense should be on handling that attack, and getting out so that you're no longer vulnerable.

Fighting is a huge range of things, from duels with mutually agreed on rules, to clawing with your fingers in desperation at the hands around your throat. Fighting can be the toolbox for self defense.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fighting is a part of self-defence, but not the whole thing.

It's like comparing being a master carpenter to maintaining a house. Completely overkill on one specific area for almost anything you need to do. But to maintain a house there is a ton of other stuff involved, much of it not involving woodworking at all. And to be perfectly honest, a person can be perfectly capable of maintaining a house and not knowing a thing about carpentry.

Most people will never need to know how to fight to stay safe, it might come up at some point, but it's unlikely for most of us.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes they are the same and yes they are different.

As already mentioned, Self defense also includes trying to avoid the fight.

But to me, I can also go a step further, self defense can also be applied to someone I totally out class and can pass and push them or control them without having to hurt them. They are trying to hurt me, but I can defend myself and stop them from hurting me and possible themselves?

But with fighting, I am trying to survive. I get scared and the adrenaline drops, so the other person might get hurt even though that might not be my first thought. Then again, if there are many of them and I am worried about seeing the next day, then using force is required and I just try to get away, so even in the fight I try to use self defense to not just maim and break people.

They are not mutually exclusive as previously stated, but they are not to sets that equal each other either.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Deja vu...

I think a self-defense scenario could develop into a fight, but I differentiate between the two primarily for the purposes of how the situation is addressed.

While self defense involves focus on avoiding situations where you'd have to use it, it also addresses the times when you have no other option. It focuses on immediate responses to different types of attacks. The idea being to neutralize the threat quickly and escape the situation at the first opportunity. The ultimate prize being your safety and well-being.

A fight could develop if you fail to neutralize the threat and you find yourself standing toe-to-toe in defensive positions. At this point you've lost the advantage of surprising your attacker and have shown the intent to "defend" yourself.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Running away is a valid form of self-defense. That's not exactly 'fighting'.

Tossing hand grenades and issuing machine-gun bursts is fighting, but that's not exactly 'self-defense' (at least not in my neighborhood, and I live in Detroit).

There are aspects of fighting and self-defense that overlap. But not all.

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Self Defense and fighting are like the SST plane and a cruse ship, They both move people, Self Defense is about surviving a situation, We are taught self defense from an early age, The first time you were told NOT to touch a hot stove, Being told to look both ways when crossing a street, Putting on your seat belt when entering a car, These are all part of Self Defense, Being Aware, Alert, Prepared, These are all self defense, Most of the time if you are fighting, You goofed up your self defense.
PS. If your in a line of work where you have to fight, Law enforcement, Bouncing, ETC, Ignore that last line.

CanFightIt

White Belt
Reaction score
Self defense is defending yourself when someone attacks you it also means being aware and alert to avoid the situation before it happens. Self defense is a way of life(alertness and awareness) not fighting. Self defense is doing what you have to do at the time. Being aware of a situation and leaving or crossing the street is self defense (avoidance). When you have no choice but to defend your self you do what you have to do even if it means killing them. That is in extreme circumstances but you get my drift?

Street Fighting is just thuggery for posers and people with no brains trying to big note themselves.

I have seen very few people (almost no-one in fact) on here that know the difference between Self Defense and fighting.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I picture a Venn diagram in which there is a circle marked "Self Defense" and an overlapping circle marked "Fighting". There is more to Self Defense than fighting, i.e., awareness, avoidance, verbal judo, etc., but when all else fails there is physical contact which is fighting (fighting as in a struggle to get out of this situation, not fighting as in a contest of physical strength). And then obviously there is the portion of the Fighting circle which does not intersect the Self Defense circle, and that portion contains all the other stuff such as monkeydancing and criminality.

Self Defense && !Fighting == avoidance, verbal conflict resolution
Self Defense && Fighting == physical contact to prevent injury
!Self Defense && Fighting == thuggery and whatnot

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Self-defense may involve fighting.......but self-defense may also involving running away or avoiding altogether.

So practicing improving your time on the 100 meter dash would be self-defense training.

The ability to fight can certainly become involving in defending oneself but as was pointed out very clearly they are overlapping areas that converge, but do not fully encompass each other.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Though different in theory without knowledge and ability to fight you may not always be able to defend your self. You may be able to avoid, verbally de-esculate, or escape/avoid many confrontations but when all else fails you will need to fight.

On the other hand many trained to fight may lack these other self defense skills.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Copy/Paste from another thread...

Self Defense: Taking appropriate action to avoid harm to one's body, creating the means to escape... and escaping.

the moment that you create the means toescape, and you don't leave - it is no longer self defense. it is now a fight.

notice self defense deals only with a threat to YOU.

Protecting one's family, innocent bystanders, or cute little kittens is NOT self defense - neither is protecting one's home, money, or possessions - while being noble acts or the right thing to do in a situation...

pete.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the difference (or lack of it) depends upon the individual. For some, fighting may be part of their defence strategy, planned or otherwise. For me, fighting has a certain connotation that I do not connect well with. I wonder would it not be imprudent to attempt to draw any general or blanket conclusion? All I know is that personally I am **** at fighting. I think I can just about manage ok with self-defence :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the difference (or lack of it) depends upon the individual. For some, fighting may be part of their defence strategy, planned or otherwise. For me, fighting has a certain connotation that I do not connect well with. I wonder would it not be imprudent to attempt to draw any general or blanket conclusion? All I know is that personally I am **** at fighting. I think I can just about manage ok with self-defence :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Jenna,

By knowing your weakness(es) and Strength(s) you are able to make better decisions about your actions, which effects how and where you might need to apply your self defense, to avoid the fight. :)

Thanks

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jenna,

By knowing your weakness(es) and Strength(s) you are able to make better decisions about your actions, which effects how and where you might need to apply your self defense, to avoid the fight. :)

Thanks
So Rich, are you saying you need to have a fighting adeptness to know your strengths and weaknesses in order to defend yourself? I am not certain :) To me, fighting is not something I want to engage in. For me, I know I am getting beat when I find the urge to fight. The term "fighting" to me (and I think it is different for everybody) implies a loss of control, in a defensive situation. Sparring is different naturally. I do not know, maybe I am wrong. That is just how I perceive these two things as different. Appreciate what you are saying though - not looking to fight ;)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Latest Discussions