Fighting vs Self-Defense vs Martial Arts

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, I have not. That was the first time I have had to do a "cross the road" incident. I have not been mugged, robbed, ect. I'm just trying to be prepared for if a rare case arrives. Preparedness never hurts.
Then as I, and others, have said. If you understand self defence the chances of running into the trouble you are describing is absolutely minuscule. Train a martial art by all means, have the strategies available to take care of yourself if required but for heaven's sake don't stress out about things that are likely never to occur.
:asian:

drewtoby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Then as I, and others, have said. If you understand self defence the chances of running into the trouble you are describing is absolutely minuscule. Train a martial art by all means, have the strategies available to take care of yourself if required but for heaven's sake don't stress out about things that are likely never to occur.

Good point, thank you. That being said, I've ditched the knife idea for realism, practicality, and for other reasons brought up. Campus especially is no place for a knife.

As for the pen and light, I'll keep a photon light on my keychain, and I'll see about the pen. I'm really liking the zebra f701 though, and replaced the end cap with that of a f402. All stainless steel look, and no logos/words. I'm going to pick up a fisher refill for it as well. I think it might earn its place next to my phone and wallet for sheer practicality. It looks and feels able to take some abuse too. I think it's a perfect option for self defense as well: I would prefer to be empty handed in a situation as to throw/lock/disarm, but if needed I have a nice impact tool. And if I'm using a pen as a weapon, then I'm desperate. When adrenalin starts pumping, neither I nor anyone here would reach for their everyday pen :wink:

For any other scenario, I'm thinking about minimalist carry of much needed items such as bandages. Not just for self defense, but for anything that calls for it.

alexis101

White Belt
Reaction score
Like this thought:
"If your training helps you stay calm, it may help you walk away from a fight, which is a much higher form of self-defense."

:boing1:
Learning martial arts is more about discipline and character-building, not about how to win in fights :s85:

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Even the one percent, and I would question it is that percentage, where you are being bullied, why would you even consider using a knife? Bullying is a non-life threatening situation. If you suddenly pull a knife you then have to consider appropriate force, not to mention that you have turned an asocial situation into a life and death situation. Potentially you are now the aggressor, especially if any witnesses who didn't see the whole situation develop.

I am quite concerned about your attitude to carrying a knife. I asked you in your thread on what sort of knife to carry why you felt the need to carry a knife at school and it seems that you may now have answered that previously unanswered question. I was bullied at school when I was small and that was in a time when it was acceptable behaviour to have schoolyard fights. I dread to think what would have happened if we were all running round with knives.

As to the few good punches doing the trick, I dispute that. In any asocial fighting scenario and even more so with bullying, the instigator has already decided in his mind that he can defeat you. In the case of bullying that is even more the case as a bully is often physically bigger, hence the expression "pick on someone your own size". In a case of bullying I doubt a few good punches will help at all unless you are well trained in some form of martial art and if that was the situation why would you even consider 'keeping the blade accessible'?

I would like to say that some of the school bullying is not on school grounds for teachers and principals to see. If that student felt threat from not one but many bullies (which we see on the news from day to day) you may want them to carry a knife. Yet I would hope that using a knife wouldn't be an option for some young kid. Being that if someone is bigger than you are and are trying to bully you, now a days youngster are carring guns to school. So, knife or gun? Is it scarer for everyone run around with guns or knives? You still have to get close to me with a knife but a gun can be use a crossed the yard.

I was bullied as well and when I was really young I took with me to school a old school sink stopper that had a chain on it. Yep, I was going to whip it around and hit someone in the head if they was going to bully or fight me. As kids we think of the strangest things.

If the kid can be able to use a small blunt object it be better. Like a pocket stick.

Latest Discussions