What's the difference between self-defense and street fighting?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, I don't go around calling myself a street fighter in public. This conversation hardly comes up when I'm out in public, but I guess if I got called out, I'd have to resort to self defense if somebody wanted to 'test me'. But I don't walk around like a hardass, so it probably won't happen too often.

Sorry, but I'd have to say that your use of self defense, as you describe above, would fall into the fighting category, not SD. This is one of the main reasons why I don't like to discuss martial arts or my training with people, unless I'm sure they're sincere with their questions. When they start making the Bruce Lee sounds, well, whats the use? LOL! I enjoy my training and by all means, if someone wants to know something, ask, but again, when people start acting stupid or 'calling me out' by asking if I think I could kick their ***, if I could beat this person, etc, I tend to walk away, not take the bait and give in to their 'test' if thats what you wan to call it. LOL.

Just because someone is talking ****, doesnt mean you have to give in to it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd of course attempt to walk away first. I simply want to learn to defend myself because there are a lot of crazy people in this world looking to do harm to others. Maybe I'm not communicating myself clearly, or maybe you just find things in my sentences to argue about. Or maybe it's me calling myself a street fighter that got you ticked off. I don't know...Regardless, I'm a fairly harmless person with nothing to prove to anybody.

Hmm...ok, well, if thats the case, then fine. However, the way you worded your post apparently gave me, as well as others, a different opinion.

I simply want to learn how to defend myself so I can have an upper hand on somebody who has bad intentions. I understand completely the legal consequences of unsanctioned fighting. I don't plan on fighting the first person who calls me out in public. I simply want to have an absolute advantage if it were to ever happen.

Ok.

What you think I should do doesn't really matter to me because I'll never meet you in person and talk face to face with you.

Really? So, if thats the case, why did you ask, if our opinions aren't really going to matter? See, this is often a problem with some people. They come onto the forum, ask a question, but get pissed off and get an attitude, when they don't hear the answers that they want to hear. There are people on here, who've been training for many many years and have a ton of experience and knowledge. Me....I don't claim to be the biggest bad *** around, I simply give advice and opinions. People are free to take them as they wish. :)

OP
S

StreetReady

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Really? So, if thats the case, why did you ask, if our opinions aren't really going to matter? See, this is often a problem with some people. They come onto the forum, ask a question, but get pissed off and get an attitude, when they don't hear the answers that they want to hear. There are people on here, who've been training for many many years and have a ton of experience and knowledge. Me....I don't claim to be the biggest bad *** around, I simply give advice and opinions. People are free to take them as they wish. :)

No I'll be honest, I just didn't like the way another member kept attacking my post. I'm remaining humble, but at the same time I felt like the poster wasn't really being helpful, but instead choosing to attack what I was saying. It just didn't feel right to me and telling me what I should do without truly understanding my intentions isn't being helpful. It's kind of insulting, especially when I'm here for genuine information.

I never did ask for advice on what I should and shouldn't do. I simply started the OP by asking what's the difference between self defense and street fighting? As you can see, I've been kind with the other posters who gave me a genuine answer to my question. Gave them thanks and thumbs up and all the good stuff.

But hey, I'm new here and I'm not trolling. I just didn't like how another member told me my ideas were 'stupidity'. Hope you get what I'm saying.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never did ask for advice on what I should and shouldn't do. I simply started the OP by asking what's the difference between self defense and street fighting?

And the agenda becomes more clear.

But hey, I'm new here and I'm not trolling. I just didn't like how another member told me my ideas were 'stupidity'. Hope you get what I'm saying.

Oh, I think so. Just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I'll be honest, I just didn't like the way another member kept attacking my post. I'm remaining humble, but at the same time I felt like the poster wasn't really being helpful, but instead choosing to attack what I was saying. It just didn't feel right to me and telling me what I should do without truly understanding my intentions isn't being helpful. It's kind of insulting, especially when I'm here for genuine information.

I never did ask for advice on what I should and shouldn't do. I simply started the OP by asking what's the difference between self defense and street fighting? As you can see, I've been kind with the other posters who gave me a genuine answer to my question. Gave them thanks and thumbs up and all the good stuff.

I think you need to read my posts more carefully as I didn't call your ideas stupidity what I said was " it's not self defence to fight someone who called you out, it's stupidity." I said that because it is and anyone on here will tell you the same.
I didn't attack what you were saying, I was asking you questions, I did say describing yourself as a 'street fighter' gave a wrong impression, not an attack a piece of friendly advice, you don't have to take it of course but don't be surprised if people are wary of having a dialogue with a 'street fighter'.

Last edited:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

As I've said many times, due to the fact that we're reading vs. actually hearing what the other person is saying, many times, misunderstandings occur. I read every post in this thread and IMO, I didn't see anyone being overly rude or attacking.

Anyways, back to the thread. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's another question I have. How aggressive should you become in a self defense situation? Do you fight like a wild animal and destroy your attacker, or do you try to escape the first chance you get?

I would say assess the situation and act accordingly.

Out of curiosity, what would you do?

OP
S

StreetReady

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would say assess the situation and act accordingly.

Out of curiosity, what would you do?

Depends on the situation. Am I being robbed? Am I being attacked because of a racial hate crime? Are gang members attacking me because I'm walking down the street wearing the wrong color shirt.

If I'm being robbed, I'd just give them what they want. No need to have any blood spilled over that. If I'm being attacked by a Neo Nazi gang, I'd scream and run and cry for help. Same thing if bloods or crips were attacking me. If it were a dog attacking me, I'd try to put it in a rear naked choke and choke the life out of it.

If running isn't an option, I'd find whatever weapon I can to fight the attacking gangs. Sticks, stones, sand, dirt, glass bottles. Whatever is presented is whatever I'll take. I'd fight viciously and I'd probably try to kill one of the gang members because it's never good when you're getting stomped on by 2 or more people.

Just for the record, I've been jumped before by 3 people. Running wasn't an option and it was hard to fight back because it seemed like I was being attacked at all directions. It happened one summer at a park on a nice grassy field. It took the thugs a few tries to take me off my feet, but once I was on a ground, it felt like a stampede. I just curled up into a ball and screamed until some people came by to stop it. The whole thing probably only lasted 30 seconds but it sure felt like forever until the stomping stopped.

The curling up into a ball defense posture actually worked, because they were only able to stomp my back and i had my hands covering my head. No serious injuries. However, I know I never want that to happen to me again.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just adding my 2 cents and then leaving because I really do not want to get into this.

To answer the question

What's the difference between self-defense and street fighting?

There isn’t one, street fighting is simply another category that falls under self-defense

bye

OP
S

StreetReady

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just adding my 2 cents and then leaving because I really do not want to get into this.

To answer the question

There isn’t one, street fighting is simply another category that falls under self-defense

bye

Great answer, straight forward and to the point.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Personally, there is a huge difference between the two, IMO. Fighting is a very, very small component to self-defense. Effective self defense rarely, if ever, involves more than situational awareness, sound judgement, good communications skills and a general lack of douchebaggery.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to know if you think there's a difference between street fighting and self-defense. I tend to use both phrases as the same things, because I don't street fight unless I have to defend myself.

If I'm forced to defend myself, it often looks like a street fight because I'll do whatever it takes to get out of there alive. That means I won't hesitate to use weapons and all.

Can anybody define the difference?

When talking to a police officer, an attorney, a judge or the jury after an altercation would you state you were 'fighting' or 'defending' yourself? The answer is obvious.

Street fighting can encompass anything from a gang fight to someone walking around with a chip on their shoulder. Self defense is when you are forced to use force as a last resort when all of your non-force options have been exhausted or taken away from you.

Also remember that in self-defense, minimum force may not be minimal force.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Self-defense is whatever it takes to get past potential dangers and get home to your family safe and happy without any nasty trips to the hospital, jail, or the morgue. 98% of self-defense has nothing to do with any sort of physical fighting technique. Learning to avoid dangerous company, to not date violent abusers, to control your own ego, to stay aware of your surroundings, to appear calm and confident but not cocky, to know how to verbally calm down a belligerant individual - these are all more important aspects of self-defense than knowing how to punch or kick.

In those rare instances where your primary 98% of self-defense has failed you and you find yourself in an actual violent confrontation, then self-defense still encompasses more than your fighting skills. Firstly, self-defense includes maintaining situational awareness even in the midst of a fight. (Is that a knife in his back pocket? Are those his friends coming up behind me? Can I make it to the exit before he catches me?) Secondly, it includes keeping a mindset that is focused on survival rather than ego or anger even during an adrenaline dump. If you knock down your attacker and then proceed to kicking in his head while yelling "I'm gonna kill you", then you stand an excellent chance of ending up in prison facing rather more difficult challenges in self-defense. (Saying "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" may sound tough, but realistically if the aftermath of a fight has you facing assault or murder charges, then you have screwed up your application of self-defense somewhere along the way.)

Street fighting, on the other hand, is just fighting. It's about trying to hurt someone, most often for ego or anger.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd of course attempt to walk away first. I simply want to learn to defend myself because there are a lot of crazy people in this world looking to do harm to others. Maybe I'm not communicating myself clearly, or maybe you just find things in my sentences to argue about. Or maybe it's me calling myself a street fighter that got you ticked off. I don't know...Regardless, I'm a fairly harmless person with nothing to prove to anybody.

I simply want to learn how to defend myself so I can have an upper hand on somebody who has bad intentions. I understand completely the legal consequences of unsanctioned fighting. I don't plan on fighting the first person who calls me out in public. I simply want to have an absolute advantage if it were to ever happen. What you think I should do doesn't really matter to me because I'll never meet you in person and talk face to face with you.

Interesting comment from someone who starts a thread asking people's opinions. If you want an upper hand or absolute advantage, get a gun.

Latest Discussions